Advice on two day itinerary in Cape Town

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. We have two full days in Cape Town before heading to Hermanus and Franschhoek for a few days. While I want to hit some sights, we're not big on packing our days too full as it is vacation after all. I'm thinking the following would be two nice days which make sense from a logistics standpoint and also won't wear us out (we're staying in Camps Bay):

Day 1 - Table Mountain (hike up, tram down), lunch at the V&A Waterfront and then the 1pm tour of Robben Island. If we have time we were going to then hit the District Six Museum but don't want to be rushed as we're having dinner at the Test Kitchen that evening.

Day 2 - Leisurely start and then lunch at Chapman's Peak Restaurant. Then drive to Kalks Bay (looks cool but is town worth a stop if we're not having lunch at the Olympic Cafe)and wander. After that drive to Boulders Beach and Cape of Good Hope and Cape Point. Head back to Camps Bay with dinner that evening TBD.

Any thoughts on a "can't miss" sight or any thoughts on the order. They seemed like full days without being exhausting but I've never been before so no idea.
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 09:34 PM

Hi

Hiking up Table Mountain is a very big NO unless you are an extremely fit/energetic hiker - it will take you hours - it is a VERY high and steep mountain and will be very hot. Our mountain rescue is often having to bring people down - don't do it - really.
Try to do Robben Island early in the day before it gets too hot. You could do Table Mountain towards the end of the day, but get a wind report (hotel can help you) in case they close due to wind.
District 6 museum is good.

Lunch at Kalk Bay would be better than Chapmans peak - personal choice though. It will take you 15 minutes to drive from Camps Bay to Hout Bay - maybe have coffee at Chapman's peak then go over Chapmans peak drive and round to False Bay that way.
Why lunch at Olympia Cafe?
Again if a windy day, Cape Point will not be pleasant. My advice would be to do Cape Point early, then penguins, then Kalk Bay for lunch and a wander, then Chapmans peak drive, then hout Bay with drinks at Chapmans peak hotel - nice on the balcony at the end of the day there as is Hout Bay manor, but the hotel will be more picturesque.

Your days are full and the balance seems good but do watch the wind. Look at wind guru on the internet

CTCT
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 03:12 AM

First when are you travelling ? what days do you plan to be in the winelands ? as a lot of them close Saturday afternoon & all day Sunday.

I agree Kalk Bay is lovely, well worth a visit, best fish in CT & stunning views across False Bay from Boyes Drive. Start on the east side & then work up the west side to Chapmans Peak for sundowners.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Great advice (especially on the order due to wind) and thank you. We will be visiting in mid April. We will be in Franschhoek on Saturday and Sunday nights and then we move onto Hermanus for one night. We switched the order of the two as we wanted to eat at the Tasting Room but it is closed on Sunday and Monday. Appreciate the heads up that Sunday may be a little quiet which is fine. I have a weekend place in Napa Valley so a day off from wine tasting wouldn't be a bad thing ;-)
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

One other point - Capetownfolk - Olympia Cafe came recommended on this board, but welcome other views. The Chapman's Peak restaurant was our Durban friend's recommendation due to the calamari. Welcome other ideas and like the idea of reversing the order that day (Cape Point first).
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 01:34 AM

Well if it's the calamari you are after then I would also suggest the Brass Bell at Kalk Bay, sit out the back & watch for sharks ! I don't like calamari but my friend had it whilst we were here for lunch & said it was very good.