Need input on weather/clothing for August

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Kenya and South Africa for almost the entire month of August (4 parks in Kenya, 2 in SA, then Cape Town). I keep reading that I need to bring long pants, long-sleeved shirts, warm sweater and jacket, fleece vest, gloves, hat, long PJs etc. I have only 33 pounds! Is the weather really going require all of that warm gear?!
Old May 28th, 2011, 04:45 PM

Cape Town at that time can range roughly from low 40's to mid 60's; Kenya roughly 50's to 70's; and Kruger region say 50's to low 80's. To keep luggage reasonable I usually bring one hoodie, a medium-weight jacket and a hat (baseball cap, or Tilley hat). I've never brought gloves, though some others may. You'll need the items like hoodie/jacket for early morning and evening drives when lowering temps and wind in the open vehicles combine to make you chilly; you can peel off and put on as the temps change. I also bring along a couple of zip-off pants, so in case it gets hot I can convert to shorts (and in case it cools down I can convert to pants). I usually also take a couple of breathable long sleeve shirts (Men's Bahama). No need to overdo it---I'm guessing the places you will stay at either include laundry or will charge a nominal fee. So travel as lightly as possible. Steve
Old May 28th, 2011, 07:19 PM

Which parks in SA? In the desert parks it can get quite cold at night. We will be in Kgalagadi in August and it apparently can get down to the 20's at times! Still haven't quite figured out the packing, but for sure we will be bringing windproof fleece jackets, warm hats/earmuffs, and gloves. We expect to sleep in our clothes

And for Cape Town, you must also bring rain gear--August is the rainiest month.
Old May 29th, 2011, 06:49 AM

In Kenya during August its quite hot. The temperatures on average are between 23-27 degrees. However during the mornings and evenings it gets quite chilly Thus the advise of bringing along long pants and sweater or hoodie.The zip-off pants are a great idea and in fact most clients come here in such and therefore have a light luggage. A baseball cap in Kenya is advised as the sun can really get hot. Depending on the company you are traveling with most companies here give their clients safari hats which also serve this purpose. It always good to be on the safe side.
Old May 29th, 2011, 02:15 PM

While daytime temps in Kenya can be warm, in the 70s... nights and mornings, depending on where you are can be downright freezing. Aug/Sep are kind of their winter. I've seen many people wearing ski parkas.

Might have been overkill, but as others... layers, layers - thermal t, sweather, fleece/hoodie, socks on feet; some will pack a scarf and gloves, even a knit hat. None of these really take up much space in a bag. And, you'll be wearing same/similar attire in SA also.

No big deal... you can do it in 33/lbs. You can have laundry done most all lodges/camps in Kenya, either included in the rate or small fee.
Old May 29th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

jczinn: I will be in Pafuri in northern Kruger and MalaMala down south.
Thanks to all, I feel better about bringing all that gear now.
Though I still feel a little too "out of Africa Hollywood style" with the Tilley hat!
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:55 AM

Most important for game drives is to bring windproof stuff -but game vehicles also normally come equipped with blankets (or you can request them). Then you peel it all off by 9am. Remember its not a fashion brigade so you only need 1 or two warm items which you can wear again and again (they get dusty but no point washing every day, as they'll just get dusty on the next drive again). beanie is best for keeping the noggin and ears warm.

Enjoy your trip!