Stander

Apr 30th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Stander

For anybody that likes a good action film, I definitely recommend "Stander", the story of Andre Stander, a Johannesburg police captain who grew jaded with the system in the late 70's South Africa, and went onto rob about 45 banks.

http://www.epinions.com/content_166389059204
May 2nd, 2005, 10:17 PM

That's the first time I have it suggested that Stander was some kind of anti-apartheid hero! Or even sympathetic to the struggle. As far as I can recall he was simply a crook, along with his accomplices. Achieving notoriety and headlines because of the braziness of his bank robberies. Kind of like Bonnie and Clyde, without Bonnie.

But I guess whatever sells movies!

He was eventually killed by police in Fort Lauderdale, FL while on the run, I can't remember the exact circumstances. I don't think it was because they knew it was him, it was just a coincidence. And perhaps reinforces that he was simply a criminal
May 2nd, 2005, 10:44 PM

My memory was shaky about Stander's death being coincidental, although it started out that way. From a S.A. newspaper's website:

"February 4, 1984: Stander is arrested by the Fort Lauderdale police for driving an unlicensed vehicle. He is released on bail, steals back the car, and asks the dealer he got it from, Anthony Tomasello, to have it resprayed. By this time, Stander is international news and Tomasello thinks he recognises the man pretending to be Peter Harris as Stander. When Tomasello asks him, Stander tells him the truth. Tomasello calls the police. February 13: Stander is killed in a shootout."

Anyway, the film got good reviews at the time, including in S.A.
May 3rd, 2005, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Arthur,

And for all those who have not seen the movie...thanks for giving away the ending. Sheeesh.
May 3rd, 2005, 06:01 AM

Roccco!
That's kind of like the woman I overheard berating her friend for giving away the ending to Titanic - I nearly peed myself laughing.
I do think "giving away the ending" to a film that's simply a dramatisation of a real life story isn't such a big deal. One assumes that viewers going to see it are doing so with at least a basic awareness of the original story itself, no?
May 3rd, 2005, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Kavey,

I appreciate what you are saying, but it is not as if this movie were "The Last Temptation Of Christ", where most everyone can figure out what happens in the end!

We are talking about a criminal from the late 1970's/early 1980's South Africa. I had never even heard about Andre Stander before I saw this movie, but I do try to immerse myself in anything & everything having to do with Southern Africa.

And, although I do not know if the filmmakers took creative license or not, it is worth noting that at his sentencing, Andre Stander responded when asked if he had any statements, that he had killed unarmed citizens (in Soweto rioting) but had gone unpunished, but that he was facing 30+ years for robbing banks.

Prior to the bank robberies, at least in the film, Andre Stander had refused to any longer be in the army, since their only function was to crush the student protesters. I mean the entire Joburg police force, or 90% of it, would leave the City of Johannesburg & Pretoria unprotected while they went on these missions against the student protesters.

Also, at least in the film, he went back to Soweto and confessed to the Zulu? father of one of his victims that it was he whom had killed his son (and at that point he was nearly beaten to death).

For clarification, the movie, does, in fact, end with Andre Stander stealing a car, and dying at the hands of the Ft. Lauderdale police as he resisted arrest and went for their weapons.

Still, it was a great movie, and it is hard to feel any compassion for the police who were trying to apprehend him, knowing what these police were all about.
May 3rd, 2005, 06:52 AM

Oops. Gee, I didn't even THINK of that. Obviously.

Anyway, now that the damage (if that is the right word ;-)) is done, let me contribute (if that is the right word ;-)) a URL that was the most lengthy (informative?) of those I found through my web search.

It's a local one, I think one needs to ignore most or all of the non-S.A. ones, they seem to just regurgitate the movie publicity. There are some interesting (IMO) comments and oservations from those who knew Stander, including his "best friend". (From the latter, "There was an element of sadistic bullyin". As well as refuting the claims of family members about Stander's supposed involvement in a township "blood bath".)

That URL is http://www.africacrime-mystery.co.za...fsac/chp20.htm

May 3rd, 2005, 06:58 AM

Kavey, was that "sentencing quote" from the movie? If it is, then it probably comes under that "creative licensing" heading. Or is there some substantiation outside of the movie?

Just genuinely curious, I've not got any particular soapbox one way or the other. Other than my "natural cynicism" of course! I presume that detailed court records or newspaper reports wouldn't be easily available on the Internet, if at all. It happened a little too early.
May 3rd, 2005, 07:48 AM

Rocco, fair point re whether or not the audience might be expected or not to know the story beforehand!

Arthur - the quote on sentencing was provided by Roccco, not me!

May 3rd, 2005, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Arthur,

I don't know if I would accept anything that the Johannesburg Police / South African Government had to say at face value. I mean should we really trust the commentary from a person from an apartheid era organization whose acronym is B.O.S.S.? The name alone suggests repression.
May 3rd, 2005, 10:54 PM

Sorry Kavey, I guess I was reading too fast! Perhaps my eye caught your name at the beginning of Rocco's post.
May 4th, 2005, 01:51 AM

But I agree Rocky. Apartheid-era police and spies probably rank alongside PR companies and Hollywood for veracity. ;-)
May 4th, 2005, 01:54 AM

Oops again. Saw the typo a split-second after I hit post. Sorry Rocco. Not that there's anything wrong with that other name.
May 17th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

http://www.702.co.za/press/heyl.asp

Allan Heyl, the only surviving member of the Stander Gang will be set free tomorrow.

Hehe...maybe I should invite him with me to Simbambili just for the opportunity to hear the amazing stories that he must have to tell. I could bring a copy of the movie, STANDER, and we can hold a screening.

Would that be absolutely insane? Sounds like fun to me but I have probably just been unduly influenced after seeing the movie.

Search this Thread