Splendid beyond words!

May 9th, 2004, 01:48 AM
Original Poster

Splendid beyond words!

Hi all _- yesterday the Fodors group (me & Steve, Kavey & Pete, Allison, Larry, Rachel and Andrew) all went out for an amazing day (and night) with Selwyn. The weather these past two days was glorious, and we're going to have some fantastic pictures to share! My only disappointment was that my battery started dying when we got half way through this day (which ran from 8AM until 1AM!) Trip reports will follow eventually, but I just wanted to check in here and let y'all know what a WONDERFUL time we had. cheers to all -- Diane (uhoh....busted)
May 9th, 2004, 03:20 PM

Selwyn, I just visited the pics you posted w/ the Fodorites. You guys looked like you were having a blast. Thanks for sharing those with us
May 10th, 2004, 03:29 AM
sandi

Selwyn - Thanks for posting the photos. They were absolutely wonderful and it seemed that our Fodorite Buddies were all enjoying the day you put together for them.

May 10th, 2004, 07:49 AM

Lovely bunch of photos. Brought back nice memories of our time in SA last November. We went to Rust an Vrede winery too and loved both the scenery and the wine.
May 10th, 2004, 08:16 AM

What a wonderful day! Having spent 2 weeks in the Western Cape last month, this brings back very good memories.
May 10th, 2004, 09:40 AM

These pictures are worth checking out. I've never met Selwyn but I can tell that this is not a typical tour. The fact that Selwyn has relationships with townshippers means you get an insider's view, you get to meet and talk to the people which makes for some of the best memories of a trip. The fruit for trash program is very smart.

It was a pleasure to see Diane's face. And Kav and Pete, that photo of the two of you with painted faces is just wonderful.
May 10th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Peep

Yay!! How cool!! Y'all sure did a lot in one day!

May 12th, 2004, 08:57 AM

Hi there!

divewop, you mentioned that there were pictures posted. I am a pal of Kavey and Diane and I would LOVE to see the photos. Can you give me the URL?

Many thanks - Ger
May 12th, 2004, 09:43 AM

Hi Ger
That's weird. There was a URL from Selwyn instructing how to see the pics; however, I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Maybe one of the other fodorites can figure out where it is or what happened to it. Help anyone?? Thanks guys.
May 12th, 2004, 09:46 AM

Ger,
matter of fact, I think it was in a thread posted here and not a URL, but I still can't seem to locate it.

Hey guys, can any of you help? Thanks.
May 12th, 2004, 10:04 AM

Thanks for posting that Sundowner.
Much appreciated
May 12th, 2004, 11:22 AM

Thank you both so much gt;) They are wonderful!

best regards Ger
May 12th, 2004, 12:49 PM

LOVE the pictures! I can't wait to get to Africa and an earlier poster was right--this doesn't appear to be the typical "tourist shuffle." Lucky, lucky Fodorites!
May 12th, 2004, 02:50 PM

What a great day you had...it's the end of the semester I've got student's papers to grade and I'd much rather be in Capetown...I'm very jealous.

Selwyn it's so nice to see that this "virtual" community is actually something more than that and that you, Kavey and Diane could bring such a fun group together.
May 13th, 2004, 06:44 AM

Just looked at your photo page. Awesome!! Isn't, Selwyn just the greatest! Now I want to go back, really, badly.

Selwyn, What a wonderful idea.The trash for fruit program,looks like a winner.
May 21st, 2004, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Back home -- trip report and pics will be posted (I filled up two 128 and one 256 memory cards, Steve took about 30 rolls of film) in a week or so. The Botswana safari was the most incredible thing we've ever experienced, but I'm glad we came back to Capetown to do the winelands, Hermanus and the penguines with a car. South Africa is an impressive country with astounding beauty. The people we met were all fantastic. We've got to go back. Thanks again, Selwyn!
May 22nd, 2004, 10:33 PM

Uhoh-Busted

Happy that you and your hubby have got back home and have had a great stay in my country. Thanks for all the kind words you used for our day trip together. It was a total blast from my side too. Like everyone else on this page I too am awaiting your trip report with great anticipation so as RuthieC has jokingly said "wake up" .

You wont believe this but in the next 5 days following our day together while touring with "Cookieslounge" and her daughter we bumped into "AlisonC" and family at the penguin colony as well as at Cape Point. While at Cape Point guess what, we bumped into "Kavey" and her hubby too.

On two occasions thereafter while travelling on the Winelands with "Cookieslounge" we once again per chance met "Kavey". I can report that they were all having a wonderful time. To all Fodorites Kavey asked me to pass on her best wishes and to tell you that she has not forgotten us all.

The above has made me wonder how many Fodrites I pass when touring in the Cape Town and Garden Route region and do not even realise this. On a number of occasions someone has come up to me while I have been on tour and said "Are you Selwyn from the Fodors page" and introduced themselves. It has always been great to be able to then put a face to a name and lots of interesting ideas have been shared. Remember Fodrites I wear a tourguide badge with my name on it so if you see me it would be wonderful if you could say "hi" as you will be able to recognise me while I cannot do likewise to you. (That is unless you want to wear a badge with your name on it saying "FODRITE TOURIST". )

The world truly is becoming a very small place and this web forum certainly is playing its part in making this happen.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
May 23rd, 2004, 04:06 AM

South Africa was an experience of a life time, my daughter and I spent
6 days in Capetown and 4 days at Elephant Plaines Game Reserve. We were
fortunate to be with Selwyn for 3days
and met Kavey & Pete and Allison & Family. We have fantastic pictures of CPT and Kayamandi Township thanks to
Selwyn, who was very helpful and informative. Anyone needing any additional info on tours or on Elephant
Plaines can email me at [email protected]
May 23rd, 2004, 06:42 AM

Hey folks... just checking in.

First off, I want to thank Selwyn on behalf of Pete abnd myself for a truly wonderful day. We will never forget it and Selwyn, you really made our first visit to Cape Town so memorable.

And bumping in to you again at Cape Point and then in Franschhoek was a weird but wonderful coinkydink!

And hey, I did the tree tops canopy tour! Given I get vertigo standing on a chair (no kidding) I am feeling justly proud of myself although my right arm and connected chest and shoulder muscles are still killing me three days later. That braking technique had me terrified!

I am now sitting at Kim's PC in her apartment in Ballito. We met for lunch, went to the supermarket and then we stopped to visit her new house... it's still being built but it's MARVELLOUS... should be ready soon and I'm already wondering how long it will take to save up for our next trip to SA to stay with her there!

So our first segment is over... CT to Addo... and tomorrow we set off for Umfolozi... can't wait!

Hope you are all well and that trip planning and current trips are going well.

Take care and catch you all soon, I hope.

Kavey

Search this Thread