South African Game Lodges

Old Jul 22nd, 1996, 09:07 AM
Andrew Barbour

South African Game Lodges

I wrote Fodor's new guide to South Africa, and I can confirm that the Conservation Corporation is a first-rate operator, with some of the finest game lodges in Africa. The flagship is Londolozi, in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve in the Eastern Transvaal. Nowhere else will you have a better chance of seeing Africa's big game: the game density is terrific, the rangers well-trained, and the experience unbeatable. You do pay big bucks for all this, though--as much as $1000 a night per couple. Londolozi is comprised of three camps, all of which overlook the Sand River: the ultra-exclusive Tree Camp; the luxurious Bush Camp; and Main Camp. Conservation Corps also runs Ngala, a luxury camp in the Timbavati, north of Sabi Sand, but the game-viewing is less consistent there. Another wonderful camp is Phinda in northern KwaZulu-Natal, near the ocean. Although the game density here can't match Sabi Sand, guests have far more activities to choose from, including flight-seeing over the coastal dunes, beach drives in four-wheel-drive vehicles, scuba-diving and deep-sea fishing, and tracking black rhinos on foot. Of the two camps in Phinda, Forest Lodge (hidden in a dense sand forest) is the most appealing. Hope this was of some help. Have a great time.

Old Jul 25th, 1996, 04:59 AM
GS

I agree, Londolozi and Phinda are wonderful. You only need a few days at one of these private lodges, though. If you have time, drive yourself around Kruger National Park--it's an amazing (very affordable) experience. The Fodor's Guide is right on target. You'll love SA.

Old Jul 26th, 1996, 08:15 AM
mike gray

While many overseas visitors do get value for money at the expensive private resorts there are many resorts managed by the National and provincial parks boards which provide the similar and in some cases otherwise inaccessable real wildlife experiences.
Thinkl about the Namib , Kalahari and Wetlands of Kwa - Zulu Natal?

Old Oct 16th, 1996, 03:38 PM
chris

Do you have any info on the elephant treks that are being operated? I'd be interested to know prices, length of trips etc. I do not require deluxe accommodations and would be on a pretty tight budget.
Thanks

Old Oct 17th, 1996, 06:22 AM
Andrew

Elephant-back safaris are springing up all over southern Africa. The first, Elephant-Back Safaris at Abu's Camp, operates in the Okavango Delta in Botswana. The five-day safari is a remarkable experience, but it costs a fortune--about $10,000 for a couple, if I remember correctly. I believe Ker & Downey have begun a similar operation in the Okavango, and I have heard reports about an elephant camp near Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. If you're on a tight budget, however, I doubt that any of these will be affordable. Good luck

Old Mar 8th, 1997, 06:45 PM
Judy Ryan

[email protected]

I tried to e-mail you about our 3 week trip to SA and doing a safari--it came back. Let me know, if you want me to post it, or try to e-mail me.

Judy Ryan oh, we are doing this in July/August '97

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An 11-year old post...! Cool!
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As much as $10,000 in 1996. Wonder how much that is today!?

This is down right archival.