South Africa - How is this itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys! My husband and I will be in South African from Nov 8-26th and we're just finalizing our itinerary. I was hoping to get some feedback We want to experience the culture while taking our time to enjoy long lunches, wineries and some beautiful scenery. We want to see as much as we can without being too rushed! Nov 13/14/15 is where I am not too sure about.

This is what we're looking at right now:

Nov 8: Arrive in Johannesburg at 10pm. Stay in central town.
Nov 9: Have a guide take us around Soweto, etc.
Nov 10: Take morning flight into Kruger to Safari Lodge.
Nov 11: Safari
Nov 12: Safari
Nov 13: Fly into George and drive to Storm River.
Nov 14: Drive along the garden route
Nov 15: Stay in Hermanus. Leave Hermanus early and head to cape town.
Nov 16/17/18/19: Cape Town
Nov 20/21/22: Franschhoek
Nov 23/24/25: Stellenbosh (Arrive at airport at 9:30pm for our 12:30am flight back to Toronto)
Nov 26: 12:30am Flight

Any advice would be greatly appreciated especially on the Garden Route portion.
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 09:15 AM

To minimize layovers in JNB, I'd do it a little differently. If you already booked the flights in JNB out CPT, ignore me. Flights to JNB are generally much less expensive than CPT.

Start with flight from JNB to George. Then continue as planned. I'd spend at least 2 nights in Storms River. Lots to do/see. Snorkel with seals in Plett Bay... The national park... I prefer not to move a lot so I'd do 2 nights SR, 2 nights Hermanus or Knysha (even after the fires).

But that's forever in the winlands! I'd cut that way back - but that's why we all travel, we all have different interests. South Africans are very proud of their wines and serve them happily everywhere. I have a local wine store where I can order most so no need to ship any home unless it's a specialty not exported. I'd add the time to a second safari lodge or in Kruger NP but I'm a safari girl.

Then fly direct CPT to the Kruger airport nearest your chosen lodge. After three nights (or more!), return to Joburg and spend the day before your evening flight home doing the HopOn HopOff bus with Soweto. Or a private tour, but the HoHo works well and visits the highlights. There's a bike ride through Soweto that gets raves. The Apartheid Museum took up much of a day - very well done!

Have you booked the lodge? I prefer safari last - it's the highlight and I like to save the best for last. There are lodges in all price ranges and luxury levels. No need to break the bank for an excellent safari, unless you choose to.
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Christabir- Thanks for the response! We already booked our flights into Jburg and out of CT so we will definitely be starting with the Safari. We have not booked our safari but we're working with someone right now. I think we will do the Senalala, unless you have a better idea? Is it safe to do HoHo? I keep being told that I should do that with a guide instead.
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 03:07 PM

I would not think you need a guide if you do the HoHo bus. If you have urban smarts, you can probably navigate J'burg in the daytime on your own....

Soweto is interesting with a guide, or guided bus, as you can learn things about the area that you might not learn if you were to go by taxi on your own.

Are you interested at all in shopping for African handcrafts? I ask because J'Burg is a good place for doing this.

Are you interested in urbanization and in cities themselves? Johannesburg is fascinating.....when I return I would try to find a guide knowledgable in the city's history and the changes wrought by immigration and the evolution of the city in the last few decades.

https://rangecommander.wordpress.com...torious-hoods/
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 03:23 PM

Safe? Why wouldn't the HoHo be safe? Thousands of people use it every year. One of the great things about HoHos is you can get off or stay on if you don't feel "comfortable" getting off. Same with HoHo buses all over the world. The one in Cape Town is good too. It even does the Cape of Good Hope now. The whole "safe" thing is so overblown. I think it's so people will use services they don't need (and for other nefarious reasons too).

"I keep being told...." Ugh. I recommended a bike tour. If it felt even a little unsafe, I wouldn't have brought it up. There are townships in Cape Town too and there are some tours. Our driver we had for a day trip took us to one - it was her neighborhood, so it was even more interesting.

Senalala is excellent. One of the best walking safari rangers in the industry is there and a few "friends" have been - all over the top great reviews. Please let us know how much you love it.

But Kambaku, Cheetah Plains, Simbavati, nThambo, Motswari might work for you too. There are many in that price range that are excellent. Just saw Riversong through another website - only 2 tents!! It looks amazing.

You seem to have a good handle on what you need. No need to use an agent for your itinerary. It's pretty basic and nothing you can't arrange all on your own. The tourism industry in S Africa is very well established and it's not an unusual or difficult itinerary. Commercial flights, transfers through the lodge (or rent a car at Avis) and great guest houses and hotels are all you need. Anything you want to arrange can be done. For private tours and transfers if you prefer, Wilro and Hylton Ross are both highly regarded. There are also many small group tours you can find through your hotel. I've driven over most of the country without problems. Just a tip- in many parking lots there are "parking guards". Just smile and say ok. Then give them a few Rand upon your return.

In Storms River, the national park accommodations with water view are excellent. See www.SanParks.org for info and booking. The Fernery and the Ocean View Guest House in Wilderness are great options too.

Be sure to get travel/evac insurance. Most plans don't cover us outside our home countries. I don't get travel insurance - I can afford to lose that (or I wouldn't travel) but I can't afford a big medical bill. I use www.insuremytrip.com or just use GeoBlue. Don't leave home without it. For car rental insurance, I use the premium insurance through Amex. It's an additional fee ($25 I think), but well worth it.

Off track again. Have fun!! You're going to love it.
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!

I've been looking how to get from Kruger to George and it seems like our best option would be to drive back to Jburg and then take a flight. Much cheaper and less time.

Can I bring regular luggage if I fly through South African Airlines?

We have found that Senalala and Simbavati both have room for us on our choosen dates. Simbavati is 5000 ZAR more expensive. Which would you choose?
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 09:09 AM

How is driving to JNB less time? Are you looking at flights from Hoedspruit - the airport nearest both lodges you are considering? I'd fly direct to Cape Town from Hoedspruit and switch things around a little. Or fly CPT to/from George. Or start in George. Lots of ways to do it if there's any flexibility.
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

I am looking from Hoedspruit and the lights are coming up as 19 hours because you have to do layover in Jburg. Do you recommend a certain airline?

I could just drive from Hoedspruit in 6 hours and then take a flight for 2 hours.