South africa honeymoon

Sep 25th, 2002, 10:41 AM
ron

South africa honeymoon

Hello, I would like some suggestions for a last minute honeymoon to SA in January. We would like to visit Cape Town for a few days and then a safari for a few days- what is a reasonably priced safari from Cape town that is not overdeveloped? $500 a night is not a consideration Is kruger really too developed? Also, we would love to do some diving and beaches at the end. Where could we do this?

Sep 25th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Ron, What do you mean when you use the term "overdeveloped". If you explain this I am sure that I will be able to give you sound advice as to what to do on your honeymoon.

Selwyn Davidowitz

Sep 26th, 2002, 02:01 PM
Ron

We are looking for somewhere that isn't hawking touristy items at every turn, and feels more like a natural wilderness than the zoo. can we do a trip to SA and see wildlife, beaches, and the city without feeling like we are just spending on overpriced everything.

Sep 26th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Rocco

Ron,
I suggest that you find yourself reasonable accomodations in Cape Town, for say $100 a night, and then splurge on the safari. No matter where you go, you will be lucky to get a quality safari for less than $700 per night. I stayed at Singita for about $950 per night, but I heard from others that the Royal Malewane was equally nice at about $700 per night. Three nights is about perfect for a safari, in my opinion.
You will be awakened at 6AM every morning for your early morning game drive which may last over 3 hours, followed by a hearty breakfast, possibly an afternoon tea and/or light lunch, followed by an evening game drive that may last 3 hours and a dinner that may extend until 10PM. Plus there are activities during the day as well, making for a very long day. After about three days, its not fun anymore as you will have seen plenty of wildlife and grow tired of the banging on your door at 6AM following a late dinner and drinks.
Other than the hotel, you will find everything super cheap in Cape Town. A couple will honestly have trouble spending more than $50 a day for while eating out three times a day.
As far as Kruger being too developed, all I can tell you is that I was originally scheduled to go to Kruger (Skukuza Rest Camp) but after finding out that there were gas stations and mini-marts on the grounds, I quickly upgraded to Singita. From what I have been told, at Kruger, you are not even allowed to follow the animals offroad. At Singita and Royal Malewane, you drive deep into the bush and really are able to experience the animals close up and personal rather than just when they decide to cross the road.
My trip would not have been nearly as satisfying without Singita. I have so many incredible pictures of leopards, lions, giraffes, rhinos and countless other animals from both my stay at Singita and my stay at Matetsi Private Game Reserve in Zimbabwe (Victoria Falls vicinity).
The choice is yours, but whatever it takes, if you can get yourself in a first class private game reserve for three nights, you will have a much greater experience. Good luck.

Sep 27th, 2002, 05:55 AM
evelyntrav

I agree about staying at the better lodge at a private reserve. However, after 14 days on safari I never tired of getting up at 6:00 AM to go wandering. Each day was unique and I would not give up one minute of our trip. I suspect our changing camps every 2-3 nights and going to different areas made the difference.

Sep 27th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Liz Frazier

Rocco
I have enjoyed your postings and sharing such detail about your trip. Is Singita dinner dress casual? It seems so formal compared to most camps and I wondered if they are laid back, or do they have a dress code for dinner? We want to take a trip late next year or early 2004 to Capetown and a SA game park. Is Singita better than Mala Mala? Or is it the same game park? Have you been to Zambia other than the Falls? Thanks. Liz

Sep 27th, 2002, 07:49 AM
LT

Liz - we just returned from Singita earlier in the month and I completely agree with Rocco - it was worth every penny! Dinner dress is casual. Many people don't change from their afternoon game drive clothes. Although the atmosphere is complete luxury, neither of the lodges feel stuffy or uptight. Our guide even arranged for us to have fish and chips for dinner one night! Singita just recently received a well deserved purple Relais Chateaux rating (the highest). I can't imagine Mala Mala surpassing the level of service at Singita. And I haven't even got to the game drives - they were fabulous! We saw lions playing in a river one morning, leopard mating one afternoon, the list goes on and on. Do yourself a favour - chose Singita!

Sep 27th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Rocco

I agree about the atmosphere of Singita. Dress was casual for dinner and most everybody was really down to earth, despite the fact that a few of the people were obviously very wealthy.
My wife and I were probably the youngest couple there (at the time in March, me-30, she 29) yet we got along perfectly well with everybody else there, and the average age seemed to be mid-40's.
While at Singita, you are completely spoiled. They have an amazing wine cellar as well, but if you don't feel like splurging for a $20+ bottle of wine, I found that there house wine was very good and included in the price of your stay. Either way, it is fun to go down to the cellar and browse at all the South African wine.
Regarding the length of stay, if you do move around from lodge to lodge, I agree that a longer stay is justified. I did break up my stays and began my trip with a stay at Singita, followed by four nights in Cape Town, followed by a stay at Matetsi Private Game Reserve (about 35 miles outside Victoria Falls) and finishing with another four night stay in Cape Town.
The two lodges were completely unique and while I enjoyed my Singita experience much more, the time I had at Matetsi was also unforgettable as it was right on the banks of the Zambezi river and allowed for canoeing excursions and enjoying Sundowners (drinks at twilight) while on a little cruise of the river. There were far less predators at Matetsi (due to poachers and a neighboring hunting lodge) but there were plenty of elephants, giraffes and zebras. Also, I got an excellent rate of $330 per night at Matetsi because it was right after the Zimbabwe elections and not very safe at the time (but worth the $1320 savings).

Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:45 AM
pete

great replies and obviously singita is fabulous. how does it compare with londolozi?

Search this Thread