Sources for inexpensive (!) Leica binos?

Aug 12th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Sources for inexpensive (!) Leica binos?

Hello everyone,

As my trusty old pair of binos finally gave up the ghost on my last trip, I need to find a new pair. Now that I'm thoroughly addicted to Africa and going on safari, I'm finally ready to take the plunge and invest in a really good set of binos.

I've used Leica binos in the past, and found that they fit my face and pupillary distance particularly well. The only problem is the price. Does anyone here know of somewhere I can find Leica binos at a (relative) discount? I'm based in England, but I travel to the US regularly so a US source is fine. I've been checking out places in New York since they seem less expensive than places here.

Cheers,
Julian
Aug 12th, 2005, 04:31 PM

Go for the gold Julian!
The price on these seems to have really gone up fast in the last couple years. The only "good buys", such as they are, now seem to be on ebay. There are some dealers who sell demos with warranty there; trinovids seem to go for $850/900 or so...perhaps less if you get really lucky. A friend bought some recently this way, and they seem fine. Saved nearly $500 bucks vs. B&H prices. If you don't want to mail them to the UK, why not send them to me, and I'll put them in safekeeping until your next safari (haha, just kidding). Once I looked through the Leica's a fellow safari traveller was using, I was hooked. Tried the Swarovskis, but just didn't work as well for me.

Unless you ebay regularly, I'd steer away from the individuals who are selling on ebay. It may be cheaper, but it's riskier, and I know several friends who have had problems with camera purchases from individuals on ebay.

And do let me know if you find an "inexpensive" source for Leica's!!
Aug 12th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Aug 12th, 2005, 06:35 PM

Oops, should have mentioned that I was talking about 10X42 and 10X50 trinovids.
Aug 15th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys -- the prices do seem a bit better in the US than here. I've been hesitating between the 10x42 Trinovids and 10x42 Ultravids -- the Ultravids are lighter, but I'm not sure 100g of weight justifies the price increase. The leather ones are lighter than the armoured, but I've never tried them so I'm not sure how they will feel in the hand...the armoured ones are very easy to handle.

Cheers,
Julian
Aug 15th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Hello,

I've found a (relatively) inexpensive source for new Leicas in the UK, at least if you are able to get the 17% VAT back (think of it as a rebate). LCE (London Camera Exchange) has new 10x42 Ultravids for about $1381 with the VAT refund; new 10x42 Trinovids are about $1182. This is about as well as you can do on Ebay for a new pair, and has the benefit of being with a well-established 'big-name' company. Hopefully I'll be able to compare the Trinovids and Ultravids this weekend. I've used Trinovids in the past, and they've been great, but the lighter weight of the Ultravids is very appealing.

Cheers,
Julian

Search this Thread