Someone please sell me on Tanzania!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. With tons of help from this board, we enjoyed our first ever safari to Phinda and Kirkman's Kamp in South Africa last summer. Sure enough, as many of you predicted, I have been bit badly by the Africa bug!

We are in the first stages of planning a return trip. We've been considering Tanzania, but are nervous that it won't "measure - up" to our experience in South Africa. We've heard stories about huge numbers of vehicles on sitings and a very touristy experience.

We'd love some direction. Is Tanzania the best choice for a 2nd safari? Should we consider Botswana instead? Kenya? Uganda for chimps and gorillas? I've never gotten bad advice from this forum...please help!!!

-John

Old Dec 25th, 2008, 08:24 PM

John, I have only been on safaris in Kenya and Tanzania, so can't fully answer your question, but we took a safari in Nov. 2007 in Tanzania and LOVED it. Of course some parts are touristy--most Tanzanians don't live like we traveled, but we had a lovely experience. There were lots of vehicles only at a few sites, and we didn't mind--people were respectful and moved after awhile so others could get closer. Happened only with leopard sightings. Most of the time it was just my husband and myself with our driver. We used Roy Safaris and our driver was very amenable to whatever we wanted to do (but we didn't ask anything outlandish.) Photos are at www.pbase.com/patty if you want a glimpse of what we saw there. I also reported a trip summary report since the forum was invaluable to my planning.
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 05:34 AM

My daughter and I returned in November this year from our first ever safari. We went to Tanzania. I loved it.
There were many times we were the only vehicle out there. Our driver was great at getting off the beaten track and finding wildlife.
I haven't been anywhere else so I can't comment on that. But for me I am very happy I chose to go to Tanzania on my first safari.
I am desperate to go back. Only thing stopping me is finances!!

Have fun whatever you choose.
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 05:38 AM

Unlike Kenya and Tanzania that have the "migration" which many wish to see, and thus more tourists during these periods... you won't find this in South Africa or Botswana.

Even so, with proper planning you don't necessarily have to come in contact with lots of other vehicles/tourists. Even if you do, this won't sum up your entire experience in East Africa.

As I've learned, with Kenya having been my initial safari experience which was a Big WOW, the other destinations - Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe & Botswana - didn't quite grab me the same way. But that's not to say they were disappointments, just different.

It's said "you fall in love with your first safari country" Thereafter, you move onto the next country with open mind for new experiences.

With a research for when to travel, planning a private safari, I'm sure you can find Tanzania a wonderful destination.

Old Dec 26th, 2008, 06:51 AM

Oops, I left off part of the site for my photos. It is: www.pbase.com/pattyroth
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Sandi - what was it that set Kenya apart for you? Do you think it was the fact it was your first trip, or was it something else???

We felt that way about Phinda. Despite the fact it was a "fenced" reserve, we were in awe when we saw our first cheetah, our first lion (for that matter our first impala!!)

Old Dec 26th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

patti - is there any way you could unlock your safari photos...they're password protected. Thanks!! - John
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 08:15 AM

John, I think you would find any of the trips you've suggested to be remarkable. I've loved my trips to both Botswana and Tanzania. Although the crowds and dust of Central Serengeti are off-putting, we found Western Serengeti to be sublime. There were very few vehicles, great game viewing and stunning vistas. Botswana is enchanting, but in a different way. There are few large herds (except elephants), but great variety in game and, again, just stunning environs. The Okavango Delta's vast flood plain is amazing. Tanzania can a provide a bit more value for money, as you have a private vehicle/driver and the accomodations tend to be more reasonable. I enjoyed South Africa, but would readily choose Botswana, Tanzania or Kenya over RSA for any return trip.
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 08:33 AM

If they are password protected, it's a recent error by pbase as I have never done that. I'll check them again.
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 08:35 AM

I just checked and they open. Just click on the elephants and the gallery will open. Or any of the others. www.pbase.com/pattyroth
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 09:00 AM

john,

in view to avoid "crowds" you should focuss on tarangire national park, serengeti and ngorongoro conservation area for febr/march when they have the calving season of the wildebeest, selous and ruaha. the latter are least visited park. not to forget mahale in the western part of the country where you also can watch the chimps.

as long as you avoid the migration in the serengeti you will be fine and not run into many vehicles.

two good companies are:

nomad safaris as well as asilia lodges. asilia is affiliated to a very good mobile safari company if that's what ou prefer but regrettably i have forgotten its name.

and of course serengeti has got klein's (andbeyond.com) and sanctuary lodges has got swala in tarangire.

a high end camp is singita grumeti which is out of this world - service and rate wise ;-)

but you should keep in mind it's rainy season between end of march and may and some camps are closed.

div

Old Dec 26th, 2008, 12:25 PM

John -

Don't laugh, but I fell in love with Kenya even before I left the airport and knew I would return. Now, that's not saying anything about the safari experience, which being my first, every animal seen and place I stayed, was amazing. And, I've felt the same on each return visit; in fact, it gets better. I'm sure other visitors have similar feelings for one country over another. Or maybe not!

This doesn't discount that I tremendously enjoyed South Africa, Tanzania, Botswana and Zimbabwe... they were just different.

Depending on when you wish to travel (determines where best to visit), specific game interests (if any) type of lodging you wish and budget, even those properties mentioned by divine, can be booked by most all reputable tour operators who use in-country outfitters or if going direct to an in-country outfitter.

Old Dec 26th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Sandi - you won't find me laughing!!! That's happened to me twice in my life. Once at Rafiki safari lodge in Costa Rica and the other at the Forest Lodge in Phinda.

Both times I knew I was in a place that was very special to me and that some day I would return to that place...hasn't happened yet, but Lord willing it will!!!!

Do you have a preferred outfitter in Kenya? We used CC Africa for South Africa, but they are probably a bit out of our budget this year ( that's what happens when one of your kids starts college I guess), plus I know they only have one camp in Kenya.

Thanks! - John
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 12:52 PM

john.

if you are more "budget concious" check out kicheche mara and miche bush camp www.kicheche.com - aitong plains/northern mara region
they do great (unlimited) game drives. so no strict "safari routine" as 2 drives/day. excellent value for money. even their rate for sole use of vehicle is favourable.
they also have a camp in laikipia.

to get a rough overview you might visit http://www.go2africa.com/cheli-peacock

cheli and peacock is an inbound operater who also own camps.
their very own website is "suspended" - whatever that means......

sandi,
do you have a clue whether cheli&peacock has chenges its namesite????

div
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 12:53 PM

sorry - first line should be
kicheche mara and kicheche bush camp....

div
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Tanzania was my first safari trip and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
We ended up doing a private safari by default. I think this and having a top notch guide were key to not being surrounded by other vehicles.

As said above, if your guide can take you off the beaten path and is a good spotter you're golden.

As we were generally the first to find something, we would have it to ourselves until we decided to share.

By then we had enough and would move on to let others enjoy our (our guide's) find.

Getting out very early is another key to successful viewing. While others are having breakfast your out seeing the best.
Which ever you decide on, it's all good.
Enjoy!
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 01:29 PM

divine -

that's strange.
it was working just fine on Wednesday; maybe little 'puter critters on the attack.
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 05:28 PM

Tanzania is still my first choice in East Africa, having been there four times in the last five years. Of course, Kenya was my first African experience and still holds a special place in my heart.

The sheer numbers of wildlife that you'll see in Tanzania, especially if you time your trip and locales to the Migration are unbelievable! Also, it's easy to drive the Northern Circuit all the way into the Serengeti, then fly back to Arusha.

Another option you might consider is southern and western Tanzania; Selous, Ruaha and Katavi. I'm hoping to go there next September. These areas are much more wild with far fewer people than the parks of the northern circuit... no Migration, though.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 01:38 PM

>>divine
do you have a clue whether cheli&peacock has chenges its namesite????<<

the C&P site is up with note they're updating it
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 01:06 PM

I don't know if I can sell you, but surely someone who has posted on this East Africa Index can.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34860283

If you head out a ways in the Serengeti, you'll experience vast wilderness and endless plains unlike anything at Phinda, and I loved Phinda. Definitely no fences.

I don't know how many hoofed species you saw in one place, but the herds during the migration are unique.

You can easily have a private vehicle in Tanzania, which I'm betting you did not have in South Africa. The freedom and flexibility that allows is hard to beat. You can just leave behind any gatherings of vehicles, then.

There is no Ngorongoro Crater anywhere but Tanzania. If you have your own vehicle I'd advise taking a breakfast box and arriving early into the crater before the crowds.

My above comments refer to the Northern Circuit, but there's also the Southern Circuit, which I've not done yet, but would definitely not be touristy with huge numbers of vehicles. Southern Tanzania offers the chimps of Mahale, Katavi, Ruaha, Selous. Remote, secluded, large herds and predators.

As for the ideal second trip, Tanzania, Botswana, Kenya, Uganda would all be great choices. You might consider a gorilla visit while it is still a "bargain" at $500. Rumors are it may double. A lot depends on what time of year you plan to travel.

I see I've duplicated part of ShayTay's answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -