Solo woman in Egypt , is it safe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I am planning to go to Egypt next year, staying some days in Cairo and going on a Nile cruise.
I will be travelling alone but I didn't want to go on those tours with lots of people.
I am thinking of booking a custom made package with Lady Egypt tours, with a guide.

Do you think I won't have any problems doing that or should I book a tour with other people? Is it safe?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

any advice, here?
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 08:57 AM

My niece and I went several years ago with a small group of 7 (Maupintour). My niece is in her 30's and quite statuesque with long dark hair and green eyes. It was a constant hassle with men - they loved her. I finally started telling them they would have to bring me 15,000 camels - no one said they would but thought it was very amusing. She was funny too because when we left her comment was "now I have to go back to being an ordinary person". I don't even think I would book with just a guide. You may not like the person. Find a small group to enjoy your experiences with.
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 10:39 AM

Hi
I lived in Cairo for five years till 2001 and I can tell you that if you wear a gold band on your left hand ring finger --The Egyptian men will think you are married and while they may still admire you, they will respect you and leave you alone for the most part.

Dress properly no bare shoulders or short skirts and you should be fine. Wear tops that at least cover the upper arm and show no skin in the midriff. If you dress conservatively you should have no problems. Avert your eyes do not look directly at men--they will think you are "available". I loved living in Cairo am five feet eight inches tall and a natural blonde and I was treated very well. Of course I was married and that helped me. Men would say "You have a lucky husband." and walk away.

Jen
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 04:55 PM

There are a couple of single ladies who live in Cairo. Might be busy right now, but I'm sure they will chime in with good advice.

EuroJen is right. A lot depends on how you dress and act. I also lived there for many years (right after Jen) and loved it.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 12:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the helpful replies
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 09:43 AM
P_M

I am a female who has just returned from a trip to Egypt. I traveled through a tour company which contracted with Lady Egypt. The tour iself was great and I'm sure you will be pleased.

As for the men: I am 44 years old, blonde, and I wear a wedding ring because I am married. (my husband wasn't able to join me on this trip) I was careful to dress respectfully, never baring knees, shoulders or cleavage. (Not that I have cleavage. ) Nevertheless, I was constantly harassed by men when I was out in public. This was very annoying, however nobody ever tried to touch me so I didn't feel threatened, just a little ticked off. On a few occasions I would walk with men in my group so the Egyptian men left me alone.

I think you will be OK traveling on your own, however my tour had just a small group of 10 or so, and I think that's a great way to travel and make new friends. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will have a great time.
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 06:32 PM

I'm a 56 year old single woman who spent three weeks in Egypt on a custom tour a few years ago. It (mostly) was just me & a guide. I used separate guides for the Cairo area, for Alexandria & for the desert oases in order to avoid getting stuck with one I didn't like. I ended up liking all three guides. In fact, i just got back from my third trip with the desert guide I used.

When I was on the Nile tour I ate meals & took the tours with a group of English-speaking people who all were on private tours. That was fine for 5 days since they were an interesting group (with a couple exceptions.)

When I went to Sharm I was on my own, but I booked a few excursions (boat trips mostly) & was with people then.

I stayed at 5 star hotels so that I would have a place to eat in the evenings in Cairo & Alex & Sharm. the hotel staffs were quite riendly & took care of me.

I liked Egypt so much that I moved here a year later. Yes, of course it's safe except when you try to cross the street.
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 09:07 PM

This reply is far too late for the original poster, but in case someone else is checking it out for a future trip . . .

I love to travel alone, I hate tour groups, and have been to over 30 countries by myself. But the one country where I did NOT enjoy traveling alone was Egypt! I dressed *extremely* modestly (full ankle-length skirt, loose long-sleeved blouse buttoned to the neck, no make-up). I acted very modestly too. But I have pale skin and green eyes, and am obviously a western woman. Men continually propositioned me, followed me around, addressed lewd comments and questions to me and tried to touch me. That included tour guides, drivers, hotel staff, and waiters -- yes, people I was paying and tipping were sexually harassing me. Hotel staff came to my hotel room to make "suggestions", or called me in my room late at night offering to bring me alcohol. A taxi driver kept hanging out in my hotel lobby in his free time and harassing me to come out with him. A bellhop picking up my laundry made lewd comments about my underwear in the laundry bag. It was absolutely gross and really put a damper on my trip.

Finally, in desperation, I befriended a nice family and travelled around with them, and that pretty much solved the problem. (Women who traveled a husband, brother or male friend and didn't experience harassment should not therefore assume that there is no problem in Egypt. From what I saw, women who were alone were treated very differently than women who were with men. When I was with a family, the problem disappeared like magic. When a man is attached to you in some way, you get much more respect.)

The thing is, they seem to assume that western women are always available for sex and that if we are traveling alone we are actively *looking* for sex. They interpret friendly smiles and direct eye contact as sexual invitations.

I am about to go to Jordan, because life is too short not to see Petra. I hear it is much the same in Jordan as in Egypt. But this time I am forwarned. As much as I hate tour groups, I plan to go with one and I also plan to stick with a couple or a family as much as possible. Also, I won't be smiling at any of the local men.

Sadly, my advice is not to go alone, unless you do not mind that kind of very aggressive and very constant attention.
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 09:32 PM

I better be harassed, otherwise I'll think I really am ugly!!

Louise - my arranger from Lady Egypt said she would change my tour guide if I did not like him/her. That was my worry but she said it is not a problem to change.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 11:16 AM

I'm so sorry men were so awful to you! I'm glad you're continuing to travel and didn't let it stop you.

I had the opposite experience but I was with a large tour group. I was solo but spent a lot of time with the other members of the group.

I guess the tour group really helped prevent that as all of the men I dealt with were actually very polite and seemed more respectful than the men at home.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 11:20 AM

<<I better be harassed, otherwise I'll think I really am ugly!!>>

LOL!!!
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 12:24 PM
P_M

grouchywoman, I'm sorry you didn't like Egypt but I was not harassed at all in Jordan. Several people stopped me on the street to thank me for visiting Jordan but no propositions.

Of course that could mean the Jordanian men think I'm ugly.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 12:57 PM

Guess it was your green eyes! But, then mine are hazel and often commented on.

We were two women in both Egypt and Jordan, though often not always together. And, if I must say... we're not ugly nor drop-dead gorgeous... simply nice looking. At no time were either of us bothered by men on the streets of Cairo, along the Nile or by our guides. Except for a young boy, maybe 11/yrs who kept urging us to visit a particular shop, which we eventually did and "what a find" never a problem. Maybe because we smiled at everyone, we weren't bothered.

In Jordan, the men were so unbelievably good looking, we had only hoped to be hit on. Seriously. When we met the Manager of the largest tour operator in Amman, tall, nicely built/dressed, with the most amazing head of silver hair (a la Bill Clinton), the two of us were tongue-tied. Just thinking of him... pitta, patta, be still my heart! And his assistant whom we met next morning, also left us speechless. While they were friendly with sharp personalities... at no time were they disrespectful, nor were our guides. In fact when my friend presented herself the morning we were heading to Petra in a skirt (a bit short, but not nasty short), the young one suggested she'd be more comfy in pants if she wanted to ride the donkey to the Siq. She changed and on our return thanked him.

Guess we all have or interpret our experiences differently. Would return to either country in a heartbeat.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 03:20 PM

Ok, what is it with the eyes? I have to tell you - it doesn't matter what you look like, you will still have men approach you in Egypt. I'm a very large woman and had several marriage propositions before the end of my trip there. It probably has more to do with where you are from, but I was constantly asked what color my eyes were by the men in Egypt (it was their opening line).

You know, I just took it in stride and it was fine. I think my response was, "My boyfried wouldn't like that" and such. I loved my time in Egypt and that really wasn't anything I worried about. If they had started touching me, it would have been a different story, but they all kept their distance while proposing ;-)

I was with a larger group, but was traveling alone and I actually went out on my own quite a bit - took taxis here and there and walked around. I felt safe at all times (except for maybe in Alexandria) and would not hesitate to go again and I would go alone. I'm also not one for tour groups unless it will significantly ease passage though the country (like perhaps China).
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 04:01 PM

Dang, now I'm starting to feel like a complete train wreck! I have the red hair and green eyes but I only got a boyfriend proposal from a man likely old enough to be my father.

Maybe I had that "la shukrun" look down a little too well!
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 04:04 PM

<<Dang, now I'm starting to feel like a complete train wreck!>>

Gee....how do you think I feel??? Lived there 4 years and didn't get proposed to once!
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 05:45 PM

Grcxx3, LOL
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 05:47 PM

You understand, of course, that this problem needs to be rectified. And needs to be rectified NOW!

I see a return trip to Cairo in my future!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 11:26 PM

Sounds inviting Sandi... hmmm Jordanian men!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -