simbambili vs. selati lodge???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I'd welcome any suggestion on whether selati lodge or simbambili would be better for a safari experience? Priority is excellent game viewing and small groups/no children. Simbambili is $700 cheaper for the 3 day experience... would selati be worth the extra investment? Any opinions appreciated.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:48 PM
santharamhari

Hi! Try doing a search on this board.....should be a lot on simbambili...i believe Rocco has been there many times and usually has high regards for it........

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 03:06 AM

Hello,

I haven't visited either camp, but Rocco's trip report from his visit in August/September 2005 is here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34680408

It's a long trip report, so you'll have to scroll down a ways to find the Simbambili section which is towards the end. He had great leopard viewing at Simbambili, though less so with general game.

Selati is one of the Sabi Sabi camps -- I'm not sure when you'll be going, but Rocco will be visiting Sabi Sabi in November 2006 and will be able to provide a direct comparison. If you do a search for Sabi Sabi on this board you should be able to find some reviews.

Note that whilst in the past some people here have complained about crowding at Sabi Sabi, the recent acquisition of Londolozi Safari Lodge and some accompanying land should make this less of a factor.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 06:06 AM

Julian

<<Note that whilst in the past some people here have complained about crowding at Sabi Sabi, the recent acquisition of Londolozi Safari Lodge and some accompanying land should make this less of a factor>>

Not really,Julian.They acquired 500 hectares and added an extra ten people to their already congested traversing area.

Sabi Sabi isn't the same after they lost their traversing rights on Kingston(Lion Sands now).

cgr2006:

<< Priority is excellent game viewing and small groups/no children.>>

Go to Simbambili.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Hello Nut,

Have you been to Sabi Sabi post-Safari Lodge acquisition? If you have, could you report on the vehicle density or lack thereof? I thought it was worthwhile to note that the situation at Sabi Sabi has changed since the reports currently on the board were written, but it would be great to hear from someone who has been there recently.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 08:17 AM

Hello Cgr,

If you really want a child-free experience (as I do when I'm on safari) you may want to look into Londolozi Tree Camp, which forbids children under 11. I've visited Londoz several times and had superb game-viewing -- leopard viewing in particular is excellent.

www.londolozi.com

Even if your budget can't stretch to Tree Camp, if you let CCAfrica know that you would prefer a child-free holiday they are very good at arranging this for you -- I stayed at another CCA property where children were allowed, but CCA made certain that they didn't impact my stay there.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Julian

I doubt anyone has been to Sabi Sabi since their acquisition of Londolozi Safari Lodge as the take over realized on March 01 2006.Don't hold your breath though as I've explained in my previous post.

As you know I'm a huge fan of the SSGR but one place I would not visit again is Sabi Sabi.I have been to all their Lodges and the congestion of vehicles are hideous.

Sabi Sabi became famous in an era where they were traversing Kingston(where the old River Lodge was situated) and they had access to the current traversing area excluding Lisbon.Thus they had access to +- 10 000 hectares and had +- 50 rooms.

Sabi Sabi now have +- 60 rooms and +-6500 hectares to traverse(the room numbers exclude Nottens which share traversing with Sabi Sabi).

Let's see....

Bush lodge= on average 6-7 vehicles out daily.

Selati= 2-3 vehicles out.

Earth Lodge= 3-4 vehicles.

Nottens=2 vehicles.

Bush Camp=2 vehicles.

Wow! 18 vehicles out on some days in +- 6500 hectares....

People complain of congestion in the Western sector???? or that Mala Mala have too many beds????

No Sabi Sabi for me thank you!
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Hi all - Julian, safarinut - I really appreciate your replies. I checked out londolozi and sent a message to cc Africa. If they don't have any better deals, I think it'll be Simbambili. Rocco's descriptions were great. Going in Sept, so really looking forward to it.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 12:51 PM

Hello Cgr,

When are you thinking of travelling, and how long are you staying?

There is a very good deal available now through Relais and Chateaux (wow -- the words 'good deal' and 'Relais and Chaeteaux' in the same sentence!) for trips to Londoz from April 1 2006 through July 31 2006. It's a package of 5 nights' accommodation and a private vehicle. It's R39,500 for two people, or $6364 ($636 per person per night).

Given that Selati is about $638 per person per night in the low season, this would be a great deal, particularly as a private vehicle usually costs over $800 per day.

http://www.relaischateaux.com/en/sea...i/offers/38328

If you're considering a relatively long stay, this could work out well for you.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Hello Nut,

Thanks for the breakdown -- I knew Sabi Sabi had a lot of beds and vehicles, but I didn't realise quite how many.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 01:04 AM
santharamhari

Honestly, for 600 plus $$$$ per night, wouldnt you rather look at Botswana for options instead of debating about over crowded areas of the SSGR???

Just a thought

Old Mar 5th, 2006, 01:11 AM

Hello Hari,

As you know, I love Botswana's remoteness -- but I believe that the Sabi Sands is also a wonderful destination. I've combined the two and find that they compliment each other quite nicely.

If you choose your reserve widely, overcrowding isn't an issue. I've never experienced problem with crowding at Londoz, and the people who have been to Mala Mala have reported a similarly exclusive experience.

I've had some of my best game-viewing in the Sabi Sands, particularly for leopard -- there's a reason it's one of Africa's premier game-viewing destinations. South Africa is also the only country where peak game-viewing season is low season, and thus offers tremendous value for money.

However, Botswana is certainly an option for Cgr for around $600 per night if they travel in the shoulder or low season (high season rates are closer to $700 per person per night).

Cheers,
Julian