Search

Shots for Morocco

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shots for Morocco

Five of us-- family and friends-- are flying over to Marrakesh from Marseille for six days in December. (We're Americans and have a little second home in Provence.) We have booked a private trip with Journey Beyond Travel and will spend time in Marrakesh, the Atlas Mountains, and Essaouira.

I checked the CDC website to see if any special shots are required. It recommends a Hepatitis A shot because you may encounter contaminated food and water. The website also recommends a typhoid shot for most travelers, "especially if you are staying with friends or relatives, visiting smaller cities or rural areas, or if you are an adventurous eater." We will be in the Atlas mountains (some hiking over two days), though we will be traveling with the assistance of a guide/driver.

I had my annual physical yesterday and was able to get a Hepatitis A shot with no problem, but it's more complicated to get a typhoid shot. I also need to advise the rest of our group. What do other travelers to Morocco recommend? (JBT thought the Hepatitis A was a good idea but hadn't heard the recommendation for a typhoid shot.)

Thanks for any advice. We're really looking forward to this first experience in Morocco.

Kathy
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 01:48 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
The two I always have current for travel in any non-industrailized countries are the 2 you mention. Typhoid is less expensive than several others sometimes recommended, like yellow fever and japanese encephalitis, which I've never gotten. I sometimes use malaria prophylaxis if I'm going to stay in places where it's endemic for a time, but not in Morocco.

To be more specific, I'd definitely have everyone have the Hep A but for just 6 days, I wouldn't worry too much about any others. On my first trip to Morocco a number of years ago for 3 weeks, I had none and survived. I think it likely that you will too.
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Mme Perdu, thanks for the advice. That's kind of what we were thinking. I've been to Turkey, India and China in the last five years and didn't even think about this...

Kathy
Old Oct 20th, 2014, 06:32 PM

The typhoid vaccine is also available in pill form. I believe the pill actually provides longer protection than the shot.

Also, remember that there is a second shot for Hep A given 6 months (I think) after the 1st.

We had/took both for Morocco last year.
Old Oct 20th, 2014, 07:06 PM

When we went to Africa this summer, we were advised to take the typhoid vaccine in pill form; it was 4 pills, taken every other day.
You've probably already done this, but I think it's always a good idea to stay up to date on tetanus.