Shopping in Morocco

Aug 30th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Shopping in Morocco

Hi, if anyone has purchases a pouff, can you please tell me how you got it home??

Also, any suggestions on purse buying in Fes. Either near the tanneries or a private store.

Lastly, I understand that there are some craftsmen who make beautiful silver jewelry. Anyone buy anything and where? We will be driving all over the country for 2 weeks, so I can shop anywhere!

thanks
Aug 30th, 2018, 03:14 PM

Yes, I have a pouf I bought at the government crafts store in Marrakech. It has a zipper on the bottom for purposes of stuffing them and unstuffing. I usually send purchases home in the mail unless it’s a last stop, in which case I buy a sturdy cheap bag and bring them home with me. Whichever I did with the pouf (mailed I think) it packed relatively flat with the stuffing removed and an upholstery shop re-stuffed it for me at home.
Aug 31st, 2018, 03:19 AM

The worst place to buy will be close to the tanneries. A pouffe is one of the easiest things to take home as it takes up practically zero space. It should be empty when you buy it, just lay it in your case and pack things into and around it. Over the years I've bought dozens home.

You can get inexpensive pouffes from 100-120 dh which are essentially a light cream undyed colour with bright decorations. I prefer the single colour dyed ones with incisioned decoration which might be 130-160 dh.

The best place for silver is supposed to be Tiznit which is some way south of Agadir, a second good place for all types of jewelry is Taroudannt.

THE VIEW FROM FEZ: Silver Passion in Tiznit For The Silver Festival
Aug 31st, 2018, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tim. I understand there are different qualities in the pouf leather. Is the a way for a novice like me to be able to tell one of quality?
Sep 1st, 2018, 02:26 AM

I would check the thickness of the leather and quality of any decorations, but otherwise I think any pouffe will be fit for purpose.
Sep 1st, 2018, 06:11 AM

Also consider the quality of the tanning. Cheap leather often has a strong smell. Shop around before you buy also keeping this less obvious factor in mind.
Sep 1st, 2018, 11:21 PM

To be fair, most North African leather has a strong smell which is not surprising given it's been tanned in pigeon poo and urine. The difference in odour might have more to do with how new the leather was as the smell dissipates over time.

It can be hastened by various techniques—packing it in newspaper to absorb the smell—cleaning with a mix of water and distilled white vinegar—sprinkle with baking soda and leave for 24 hours—use Febreze (but only on the inside).