Search

Shark Cage Diving

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shark Cage Diving

We are planning to go cage diving near Hermanus in December. Does anyone have a could recommendation of an outfitter to use? I have heard about Marine Dynamics and Shark Diving Unlimited. Has anyone used them?
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:56 AM

kkarcella,

With regard to shark diving, even though ask about Hermanus (Gansbaai) operators, I would rather suggest that you put yourselves in the hands
of Chris Fallows and his staff from African Shark Eco Charters.
(http://www.ultimate-animals.com/ ) This is in my opinion the best shark
cage diving outfit in the Cape Town region. They know what they are doing and they are not reckless. I say this because some of the shark cage operators do not always conform to these standards while Chris Fallows and his partner Rob definitely do. If you read any National Geographic article on sharks in South Africa then it generally is Chris's pictures and comments that are quoted.

Please note that cage diving becomes a whole day event with you starting in the early morning and then returning home in the late afternoon. Thus if you are not staying in or for that matter close to Hermanus the day becomes a very long one if you opt to do the Gansbaai shark dive. What is fabulous about doing the charter with Chris is that you do not have to stay in Hermanus as they do all their shark expeditions around seal island in False Bay and launch from Simonstown (40 km from City centre). My suggestion would be that you make contact with Chris and let him guide you further with regard to this whole journey.

Hope this helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 03:30 PM

In addition to Selwyn's recommendation, I went with White Shark Ecoventures, and I thought they were absolutely terrific.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 12:28 PM
sandi

We also used White Shark Ecoventures and had a great day out with them.

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 12:43 PM

We just went out with Rob Lawrence of African Shark Eco Charters (Selwyn's reccommendation) and was throughly impressed. They are the gurus of Great Whites. However, keep in mind it is the low season now, and December is a really bad time for sharks in the area.

Old Dec 26th, 2005, 01:52 PM

Does it make sense to go on an outing with African Shark Eco Charters if you plan to watch from the boat? Do the sharks poke their heads out of the water? Thanks.