Overweight bags on Tanzania flights

Dec 20th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Overweight bags on Tanzania flights

I am going on a two-week safari to Tanzania in January and then spending an additional 5 weeks in Cape Town where I will need different clothing. Consequently, I'll need to take a second bag which will put me beyond the 15 kg limit on the small Tanzania flights. As we are flying into Arusha and out of Dar, there is no place where I can leave the extra bag and pick it up later. ATR has done our travel arrangements and were great about working out the itinerary, but they don't seem to be much help on this.

Has anyone had experience with taking extra baggage on these small flights? Did you have to pay extra? If so, how much? As we are doing both northern and southern Tanzania, there are several of these flights, and I can't afford to pay overweight charges on perhaps 15 or 20 kg on each flight.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Dec 20th, 2005, 05:56 AM
sandi

Depending on who ATRs ground provider is, you can check whether once you arrive Kili/Arusha if they can ship your CPT "stuff" to DAR pending your arrival after concluding the Southern Tanzania portion of your trip. ATR should have a ground provider in both Northern and Southern Tanzania. The one in the South can hold/then meet you with the bag/s prior your return home.

If ATR (their provider) will accommodate you, there will probably be a charge to ship/fly your "stuff."

Otherwise, or if the cost to do as above, you may want to consider shipping your CPT clothing home via a DHL-type company.

Dec 20th, 2005, 06:51 AM

safarilover, wish you well on baggage arrangements. Am interested in your incountry flight (s). How are you getting from northern to southern and any idea of costs? I have not ventured too far as-of-yet in planning a north-south trip for 2007 but am beginning.
Dick
Dec 24th, 2005, 04:50 PM

I just got back and had two internal flights. None weighed our baggage, and we were WAY over the 15kg limit. The first one was from Seronera in Serengeti to Zanzibar,via Arusha. They just threw it on the plane. There aren't even any scales at some of the air strips. Our guide said they never weigh from the airstrips. The second was Zanzibar to DAR. I was more worried this time because it was a real airport and there were scales. But we had a handler, which might have helped, as he just whisked our bags past the scales for us.
Dec 26th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Marcus. I am feeling a little better about it now.

Search this Thread