serengeti camp for migration

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi... just read on wildwatch, that some of the migrtion has spilled over into the serengeti, which camps do u recommend, and what should the budget be.....
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 07:54 AM

There's always spill over. What's there today may not be there tomorrow. The game does what it wants when it wants and unlike elephants that have a matriarch or a lion pride, no one directs the wildies, zebra and Tommies... they go by their noses, one at a time. And, for every drop of rain that falls one day, some will move in one direction or another and as soon as the rain stops, they move in another direction, all of which goes on for months.

This is not the San Diego or Bronx Zoos... it's wilderness.

In the very north there are few camps and these are in the lux category and expensive - Sayari, Lemala, Olakira, Nomads*... even Klein's* or Serengeti Under Canvas.

*only available on a GP=game package basis, using their guides/vehicles.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 10:53 AM

Sandi, you are quite right about your little note at the end, and that's exactly what is nice about Klein's camp. Proper open vehicles rather than pop up roof vehicles, and the option of doing night drives plus bush walks because the camp is in a private concession, not the national park. Whether Klein's camp is the best option for the migration depends on the time of year we are talking about. Right now would be a good time (August to October). There is a little bit of annual pattern to it, at least.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 11:27 AM

Question about Klein's. I searched and found some info, but-
Is it an &Beyond camp?
Is it both/either lodge and tented?
How can I be sure I'm looking at Klein's tented info?
I saw rates of $995pppn PLUS other fees for Jan-Mar times, this sound correct?
Thanks.

regards - tom
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 01:24 PM

Klein's is not tents, nor a lodge. They're stone rondavels.
And yes... $995ppp is spot on... their rack-rates, though an agent can probably shave a few dollars off of that. andBeyond properties do not come cheap, nor are the others mentioned, but not quite as steep.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 02:31 PM

thanks sandi.
$995. Working within a budget I have to weigh spending $995 for one night Kleins or $995 for two nights Lil Governors.

regards - tom
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 04:54 PM

Tom, are you looking at heading to East Africa rather than your beloved SA?
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 05:13 PM

Hi twaffle, how are ya? Hows things down under?
Looking, trying to decide for 2011. I don't know whether to go back to my "beloved SA" or explore other countries. In past years been to Zambia twice, Kenya once and Bots once.

My budget is about max of $500 pppn. So this leaves out Klein's for sure. Pretty much leaves out Bots in general. Would go back to Kenya Little Governors, yet I think I'd enjoy SA Kruger, Timbavati, Sabi Sand more. I know Carolyn would simply love a mobile camp in the Mara/Serengeti. But being mobile does not mean being within my budget. I know your last safari in Kenya at (name escapes me, remind me) was great with your own guide and vehicle. That was, if I remember, within my budget and is tempting. So......that's where I'm at, just wandering around

And your safari plans for 2011? Give me some ideas.

regards - tom
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 09:08 PM

G'day Tom … cold and wet and grey out my window right now but first day of spring so am looking forward to the warmer weather. Shouldn't take this thread off topic or the Fs police will be after me but am off to Kenya in January. Much/some of what I'm doing is coming in under the $500pppn but may not be to everyone's taste. You're at an age (like I am) where we know what we like so it's hard to spend the money on the relative unknown. Perhaps I should post my itinerary ......

Glad you're planning something in Africa.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 09:13 PM

cary999 - to add to your options a bit - I'm currently in the process of booking a mobile safari in the Serengeti with Bill Given at thewildsource. He's really worked with me to make this happen within my budget which was not a great deal more than your 500pppn. We will be a party of 5, however. At just 2 people, it may be harder to pull together. But give him a try. He actually ended up creating a whole new mobile safari product in the mid-market range because there's very little out there at a reasonable price if you don't want to go the dome tent route. I'd be happy to send you more details if you like.
Sangeeta
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 09:59 PM

G'day back at you twaffle, I know what you mean about sticking with tried and tested. Where are you going in Jan, this thread is short, ok with me if you put it up here. Or, where?

Sangeeta - thanks, would be interested in your details. I don't have to have a private mobile, a small group of 6-8 would be ok. A well experienced/knowledgeable guide/crew is more important. My email is in my profile, click on cary999 above. Thanks if you can send me more.

regards - tom
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 10:31 PM

Tom, briefly I've hired a 4x4, guide and heading to
Lake Nakuru(2),
self catering in the Aberdares (3),
self catering in Meru NP (3)
then leaving the guide and 4x4 (and chef … don't expect me to cook!! and at $40 per day a bargain)
and heading to Lewa for 3 or 4 nights, I forget,
then Serian in the Mara for 7 nights split between the mobile in the reserve (3) and main camp in MNC (4).
Obviously the second part of the trip is more expensive but I have a fair variety of places and game this way.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 10:33 PM

When are you going? We will be staying at both Dunia and Sayari. When I was planning our safari, I used this web site quite a bit for descriptions, photos, and also being able to see the camps on Google Maps: http://www.africatravelresource.com/
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 09:13 AM

That's the way to budget, twaffle. Looks like an excellent plan.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 09:17 AM

Dunia and Sayari are both Asilia properties and their website provides great descriptions and maps. www.asilialodges.com/

Another source for maps is the www.go-safari.com site, select Tanzania, select Serengeti, there should be a map here that shows locations of the camps/lodges.