Search

Serena Nairobi or Norfolk?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serena Nairobi or Norfolk?

I had reservations at the Norfolk and then I read some not so great bits about it being old, rooms inconsistent, etc. So I switched our rooms to the Serena which I read was a bit more modern, etc.

Did I do the right thing? Is the Serena in a good part of town?

Is there another 4-5star hotel that you can recommend?

Thanks as always!
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 04:36 AM
sandi

Some prefer the Serena as it is newer and rooms are lovely... and the food is outstanding.

Are you only overnighting in NBO, or spending a day?

The Norfolk is a bit away from the downtown central business area, where you'll find the Serena, Intercontinental, Hilton (a bit worn), the Stanley (also a bit worn, but ok). On the very high-end in this area is Palacina Suites.

Then there is the burb of Karen, where you'll find the Giraffe Manor, Ngong House, Blixen Coffee House/Cottages and the outstanding House of Waine. These are higher in price than downtown hotels.

Check these out and see if they fit your budget, but if for only the day/night of arrival the Norfolk is wonderful as it is an "institution" and lovely to take your meals on the Delamere Terrace (moderately priced) or their Ibis Restaurant.

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 05:40 AM

In 1990 I had one of the best meals ever at the Norfolk.

Didn't stay there, but the meal was unforgetable.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 06:02 AM

I stayed at the Norfolk on my first visit, and spent time at the Serena on a forced layover (was bumped from the KLM flight). The Norfolk is a historic hotel, with a great sense of place -- the Serena is a modern hotel that could be anywhere. When given the choice, I always opt for the historic hotel -- they are part of a city's history and character.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 06:36 AM

Norfolk OK but Serena is more out of the city and I really like it. It has a very nice upstairs restaurant.

Mark Gathuri, the General Manager, is a fine man who will look after you. He used to run the Mombasa Serena until about a year ago and moved back to town.

Still my favourite hotel in Nairoi is the HOliday Inn in Westlands. An oasis, peace and calm. and very friendly.

If you're there any saturday morning over the next 2/3 months you'll probably find me there.Breakfast at the Holiday Inn is an occassional treat for me. Very good. Harrison makes the best Potato Cakes
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 04:12 PM

Liz:

I have to agree with Pumbavu. I have stayed at the Serena, Norfolk, Nairobi Safari Club, Landmark/Jacaranda and Holiday Inn and of all of them I prefer Holiday-Inn. It is quiet and the landscaping is quite nice. The restaurant is good, and it has the Spur Ranch restaurant on the ground floor which you may enjoy. I have stayed here on my last 5 trips and find it quite comfortable.

That said, I find Sandi's description of House of Waine quite intriguing and am considering a stay there in February.

Jan