September Honeymoon in South Africa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a Honeymoon trip from NYC to Cape Town, to spend 2-3 nights there including a great white shark cage dive and would like to fit in an adventurous 4-5 day safari with "big five" game sighting possibilities and then a few days in either Victoria Falls or Mozambique - any suggestions or advice on where to stay or where to avoid, and airline preferences, how to make it somewhat "romantic" and is this too ambitious? Open to all advice and would appreciate input on everything. Thanks!
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 01:30 PM

Hello,

I'd strongly recommend the Sabi Sands reserves over Shamwari. The Sabi Sands has arguably the best game-viewing in South Africa, and there is a wide selection of luxurious lodges to choose from. The lodges offer romantic touches like private dinners in the bush and coming back from your evening game drive to a warm bath full rose petals.

I would highly recommend Londolozi, where I have stayed several times (www.londolozi.com). Tree Camp is an intimate camp with only six suites and private butler service for each suite. if your budget can't stretch to Tree Camp, the rooms at Pioneer Camp are also very nice.

How many days do you have total, and what is your budget per person, per night?

Cheers,
Julian
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 02:07 PM
johan_belgium

Mike and Jess,

Are you in for real luxury?

Try Ellerman house (Bantry Bay) or Ezard house (Camps Bay) in Cape Town.

And if you like fine dining I would recommend to go to "La Colombe" in Constantia Uitsig.

It's also a great time of year to visit the botanical garden at Kirstenbosch and do some whale watching at Hermanus. And if weather permits, try the sky diving near Koeberg.

I agree with Julian in his choice of Londolozi.

If you are going to Victoria falls, I would actually recommend to stay one or two days at a lodge in Chobe (f.e. Chobe Chilwero) (Botswana) and do some boat cruise over there. Chobe has the best elephant viewing of all Africa.
I don't like the idea of going to Chobe when staying at Vic Falls because when you arrive the best light is already gone.

When visiting the falls, I prefer to stay at the Zambian site and if you don't like the big hotels, try "Islands of Siankaba" or "The river club".

It won't be a cheap one but after all it's your honeymoon.

Greetings,

Johan

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 02:40 PM

Hello,

Another great option in Vic Falls is Tongabezi -- it's known for its honeymoon cottages, one of which has been described as 'worth getting married for'!

Will you have a car in Cape Town? The places Johan mentioned are wondeful, but you should be aware that staying in Bantry Bay or Camps Bay isn't ideal if you don't have a car. Kensington Place is a lovely boutique hotel in the City Bowl if you want a more central option. I'd also recommend taking a look at the Portfolio Collection (www.portfoliocollection.com) for a wide selection of boutique hotels and guesthouses which will fit a range of budgets.

If you enjoy food and wine, I'd recommend spending some time in the Winelands over spending time in Vic Falls. On the other hand, if you enjoy bungee jumping, white water rafting, or other adrenalin activities, Vic Falls will be more your style.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 02:46 PM

I'd have to agree with jasher, re.Sabi Sands (SSGR). My wife and I had both our Wedding & Honeymoon (Sept '04)at Leopard Hills (5 nights) www.leopardhills.com We both had THE best holiday experience of our lives. Nice and intimate with only 8 suites , each with there own pool/spa on the deck, we had the one overlooking the waterhole, which made for amazing sites & sounds! The staff there could not do enough for you, without being "in your face". This was in contrast to our 5 nights at Lion Sands Ivory lodge where the experience was a little less personable but nontheless FIRST CLASS where we witnessed a stalking/killing at night by a female Leopard, absolutely breathtaking!
So you can see that we are sold on the SSGR, so much in fact that we are planning our next safari there for Sept '07!
Cheers
Marc
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 02:59 PM

africaaddict,

Thanks for the feedback. What an amazing wedding venue you were able to have! Did you have any family/friends there, or was it just the two of you?

Your contribution is very timely because I was struggling with whether or not I should include Leopard Hills on an upcoming November visit. There has been some negative feedback on Leopard Hills, but I believe Leopard Hills has since been refurbished.

My plan is to spend 3 nights in the subterranean Earth Lodge at Sabi Sabi and then to be elevated to the heavens with 3 nights at Leopard Hills.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 04:51 AM

As Jasher rightly says the advice depends on the budget. The Cape Grace is Condé Nast Traveller – US’ s Best Hotel in Africa and the Middle East and is a wonderful place for a honeymoon but comes at a price. I can stay there only in my dreams.

The reason I suggested the Shamwari special package is the value which offers five nights for the price of one night at Londolozi.

Everyone I have ever met that stays at Shamwari thinks it is great and keep returning and you will see all the Big 5. It does not win all the awards by chance.

They really lay out the red carpet for honeymoon couples. I am sure they will add rose petals to the bath if you ask them nicely.