South Africa honeymoon planning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2006, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the beginning stages of planning our honeymoon, mostly to South Africa, for early August 2007. We would like to stay 3-4 nights in Cape Town, 5-6 nights on safari (preferably splitting the time between 2 lodges), and perhaps 1-2 nights at Victoria Falls. We will also likely stop in Paris for a few nights on the way out (free stopover). For the safari lodges, we are leaning toward Singita or Royal Malewane, also have considered Phinda and some of the camps in Botwswana. Any tips on picking these, especially picking 2 where we will have different experiences at each? Any ideas on places/experiences I have left out of my itinerary? Is August a horrible time to go to Cape Town and/or Victoria Falls? Particularly for Victoria Falls, will the water flow be so low that it is not worth going? Any advice or assistance is greatly appreciated, this board has been so helpful already just by browsing. Thanks!
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 02:37 PM

Hello Sara,

Welcome to the Africa board!

With both Victoria Falls and Cape Town on your itinerary, both Botswana and the Sabi Sands will make great safari options.

August may still be a bit rainy and chilly in Cape Town. The Falls will not be in full spate but should still have plenty of water.

One thing I might suggest is adding a day or two in the Cape Winelands -- if you love food and wine, this is a wonderful place to spend some time.

In South Africa, I'd highly recommned Singita. The Sabi Sands, where Singita is located, is the best game-viewing region on South Africa. Singita is one of the few places I've stayed which lives up to its reputation, and it was incredible -- superb game-viewing in superb surroundings with wonderful food and service. Royal Malewane is luxurious, but the game-viewing will not compare to Singita, particularly for leopards.

For a contrasting experience, I'd recommend combining Singita with Phinda, which is in an entirely different area of the country and has a different environment.

In Botswana, I'd recommnend at least 7 days though 9-10 would be ideal. With 7 days you could do four in the Okavango and three in the Linyanti; with 10 you could do 2 Delta camps.

If you want luxury and superb game-viewing, my top recommendation would be Mombo.

http://www.wilderness-safaris.com/ca...mp;method=menu

I recently returned from a five-day visit there and had incredible game-viewing -- some of the best I've ever had in several years of safaris. You can read about my visit to Mombo on this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34844345

For a second Delta camp, I'd suggest a camp which offers both water and land activities, such as Little Vumbura (or its luxurious sister camp, Vumbura Plains).

I've stayed at LV and visited Vumbura Plains. LV has superb game-viewing and offers boating, fishing, and mokoro excursions in addition to game drives.

If you only do two camps, I would go with Mombo plus a camp in the Linyanti, one of the strongholds of the endangered African wild dog. August is the perfect time to see the pups -- a very special sighting.

On my trip this year I stayed at Savuti Camp -- if you like elephants, this is the camp for you. The famous woodpile hide enables you to literally sit amongst a herd of elephants. Duma Tau is also a great option. If you'd prefer more luxury, take a look at Savuti's sister camp, King's Pool.

If you're finding it hard to make a choice, you may want to read some of the trip reports on the Southern Africa Trip Report Index:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34858382

Photos of the camps (all taken by Fodorites) can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasher/sets/

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 07:07 PM

We recently returned from a trip to South Africa and Victoria Falls from July 25-August 11. We spent 3 days in Cape Town (at the Cape Grace) and had beautiful weather. Although we had heard that the weather can be cold, windy and rainy, we didn't experience any of that. Then, we moved on to Singita Ebony for three fabulous nights. I can't imagine a better honeymoon destination --very luxurious without being stuffy, superb game viewing, beautiful accomodations. Then spent a few nights in Johannesburg and then on to Victoria Falls (Zambia side) where we stayed at Tongabezi's island camp, Sindabezi. The falls were beautiful, plenty of water but not too much mist to obscure the view. Had a fabulous experience at tea on Livingstone Island, which sits at the top of the main falls (available if you stay at either Tongabezi or the Royal Livingstone). Then, finished with 3 nights at Phinda Forest. Phinda's environment is very different from the Sabi Sands and the game viewing is also different. I have to admit that the gameviewing did not compare to what we had at Singita, but the rangers are great and the commitment to research and conservation is worth experiencing. The lodge is very nice. Accomodations are in glass houses in the sand forest, perfect for honeymooners. Throughout our trip, we had beautiful weather, cool in the mornings and evenings but warm and sunny in the daytime. Hope this helps and good luck with your planning.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the great advice, and those links are incredibly helpful. It sounds like we may not have time in our trip to really do Botswana the right way, and I suspect that would lead to a lot of additional travel time, but I will definitely look into it more. Mandelieu, it sounds like we are planning a trip very similar to the one you just returned from, on almost the same dates (we will be traveling from July 30 to August 15th or so next year). How did you find the level of luxury/food/service at Phinda to hold up to your experience at Singita? Would you include it if planning again? And were you able to visit Singita Boulders while there? If so, how would you compare in terms of choosing between Boulders and Ebony? It seems like many people recommend Boulders, but the colonial style of Ebony really appeals to me. Thanks again for all the helpful comments--I am getting so excited. I'll keep you updated as I finalize plans.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:19 AM

We stayed at Singita Ebony, but did have lunch at Boulders. We liked both, but found Ebony to have a warmer, more homey feel, particularly in the public areas. Of course we were staying at Ebony, so that may explain part of why it felt warmer to us, but the decor is quite different at the two lodges. We didn't see the Boulders rooms but heard they are beautiful. While we enjoyed the Phinda experience, it is very different from Singita. In terms of luxury, it would be hard to compete with Singita. The service at Singita is very personal, with every need anticipated. Accomodations are large and beautiful with private plunge pools, outdoor showers, multiple fireplaces, etc. Food is very good, diverse, and elegantly presented. Phinda Forest is a larger camp than Singita (although they do have some smaller properties that we did not experience), which makes the experience somewhat less personal. The service is friendly and helpful, but less professional than at Singita. That being said, the quality of the guides at Phinda is excellent. Also, there is a genuine sense of the staff wanting to make guests happy. When we were disappointed that our "surprise" bush dinner was cancelled due to weather, they made sure to surprise us the next morning with an elaborate breakfast in the bush before our lunchtime departure from the lodge. The Phinda Forest accomodations are smaller and less elaborate than at Singita, but you feel closer to nature since they are all glass and the animals come right up to the rooms. The decor is soothing and comfortable, with asian-inspired style. Food was good, though selection was slightly more limited than at Singita. The focus at the two lodges is different, with Phinda having a more research and conservation oriented approach. I hope this helps. let me know if I can provide any more information.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:34 AM

Hello Sara,

You can see pictures of both Ebony and Boulders on the Safari Lodge Photo Album:

http://www.flickr.com/jasher/sets

I took them on my trip this July and they reflect the recent redecoration of both lodges. Boulders in particular has undergone a fairly major refurbishment -- it now looks much more rustic and has a new colour scheme (khaki/green/white rather than pale blue/white).

I also stayed at Ebony, and it does have a warmer, cozier feeling than Boulders, which is more airy and spacious. The deck at Ebony is a lot more welcoming on a chilly night (you'll be there during the South African winter). But Boulders is also beautiful, and the plunge pools are larger if that's a factor.

The food and service are equally great at both camps.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:56 AM

Hello,

Oops! That link should be:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasher/sets

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the help. Now I have completely changed our itinerary, after being convinced that I absolutely have to see Botswana. Here it is:
3 nts Singita
4 nts Cape Town
1 nt Little Mombo (would have preferred 2-3 nts here, but it is not available. we are waitlisted for more but not holding out much hope)
2 nts Kings Pool
2 nts Vic Falls
Any comments? Advice?
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:15 AM

Hi Sara,

If you, in fact, "absolutely have to see Botswana", then why not drop the three nights in the Sabi Sand and add a 3 night stay in Botswana?

I love Singita as it was my first ever safari experience, but looking at your itinerary I believe it is way too much hopping around. If you play with your dates a bit, you should be able to get Mombo (2), Kings Pool (2) and then a third Botswana camp for (2). Even better would be Mombo (3) and Kings Pool (3).

Where are you staying in Cape Town and Victoria Falls? Given the other properties you have chosen, I would say that only a very few Cape Town and Victoria Falls properties would be appropriate:

Cape Grace
Twelve Apostles
Ellerman House
Table Bay Hotel

Royal Livingstone
The River Club
Stanley & Livingstone

I would probably do things in the opposite direction and start with the 2 nights in Victoria Falls, do 6 nights of safari in Botswana and end with 4 nights in Cape Town. It would make for an easier departure and you would probably also be better rested by the end of your holiday.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 01:58 PM

Hello Sara,

If you're going to go for six nights, I'd recommend doing 7, as at that point the WS long-stay discount kicks in. A natural compliment to your two camps would be Jao Camp:

One thing missing from your current itinerary is water activities, as Mombo doesn't offer them. IMO mokoro ride is one of the best ways to experience the unique environment of the Delta. Jao has both land and water activities, and is in a particularly beautiful area of the Delta.

If you'd prefer a contrasting experience, take a look at Jack's Camp, a unique place unlike any other camp in Botswana:

I recently stayed at Jack's Camp, and you can read about it in my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34844345

BTW, don't give up entirely on Little Mombo -- space can and does clear as the year goes on, even at Mombo. To give you more flexibility if this does happen (assuming you stick with the current itinerary) I would either start in Botswana or Cape Town, as follows:

Little Mombo x2 (waitlist)
Little Mombo x1
KP x2
VIctoria Falls x2
Cape Town x4

You don't need to buy your flights for a long time, so you will be able to adjust your departure based on whether or not Mombo clears.

Alternatively, you can do:

Cape Town x4
Little Mombo x2 (waitlist)
Little Mombo x1
KP x2
VIctoria Falls x2

You can hold six days in Cape Town (including the two waitlisted days) and cancel some of them if the waitlist doesn't clear. Availability in Cape Town is much better than it is in Botswana.

In addition to Rocco's suggestions, I'd also recommend looking at Tongabezi - the Honeymoon House has been described as 'worth getting married for':

http://www.tongabezi.com/

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the comments. As to the flights, unfortunately I do need to reserve them now (and already have) because I am using FF miles. Believe it or not, I got the last seats on the flight to Africa I needed, even this far ahead. And that itself was after a lot of flexibility and rearrangement of schedule. For the itinerary, I actually wanted to do it like you have mentioned, either doing 2 lodges in South Africa or spending the entire time in Botswana. Plans changed entirely when I found out how horrible availability was in both places, especially Botswana. I was told that the night I have reserved at Mombo was the only night in all of August that it is available, and Kings Pool is not available for any dates during my trip except the time I have reserved. I may be ridiculed a bit for it (perhaps rightfully so), but I do want as much luxury as possible on this trip, although game viewing is equally important to me. Thus, I want to stay away from the more "rustic" camps. This, combined with the low availability, limited my options a lot. That is how I came up with the idea to combine it with Singita. As to Jao, I had considered that but my TA recommended strongly against it because she said the game viewing there is not good in her experience, even though it is a beautiful camp. I am not convinced that I should give up a day of game viewing in Botswana if I have such a short trip, but could be convinced otherwise. Here is another question--my TA recommends Victoria Falls Hotel over Royal Livingstone, but based on what I have seen I think I'd prefer Royal Livingstone. Any opinions?
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 08:49 PM
santharamhari

What about Vumbura plains?

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Good point, and availability at Vumbura Plains seems to be quite good. It seems to have gotten mixed reviews here, however, and something about the modern/Scandanavian decor doesn't appeal to me as much. Many things about Vumbura Plains and Jao (probably more so Jao, just based on personal preference) do appeal to me, but there also seem to be drawbacks in all the reviews about them. I guess what it comes down to for me is, if my options for the extra 3 nights in Botswana are not the best, I would rather deal with a few extra hours of travel to stay at an incredible lodge like Singita (and perhaps see a different environment at the same time). As some context, my fiance and I have tended to hop around on our trips more than most people and have been quite happy with it (i.e. doing the whole South Island of New Zealand in 10 days, not staying in one place more than 2 nts). But perhaps I am underestimating the travel time. Also, we are leaning towards Cape Grace in Cape Town, but open to suggestions to do something different.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

I also want to add another, very off the wall question. I just saw in our paper that El Nino is starting up again. Reports so far are that it is predicted to be a relatively weak El Nino, but I read that El Nino's can cause drought in part of Eastern/Southern Africa. Will this wreak havoc with the weather in South Africa, Botswana and Vic Falls? Does it make August a horrible time to go? Any experience with the impact of El Nino on weather in the region, particularly its impacts on the game, the floods in the Delta, and/or the level of water at Vic Falls? Thanks.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 09:14 PM
santharamhari

Sara,

Regarding the drought, if any, in Southern Africa....wont impact your game viewing. The drier it is, the better the game viewing as animals move towards permanent sources of water. However, August is always dry and hardly rains.....

Hari

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 02:17 PM

We thought the chalets at The River Club were quite beautiful, romantic and private but if you want a regular hotel room, it's not the place for you.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Another question (sorry for so many--I have never planned such a complicated trip before and I think I underestimated the effort it would take...but it sure is fun). I got a quote for part of my trip and am wondering whether this is a fair price. The quote is $6500pp for 2nts Kings Pool, 1nt Mombo and 2nts Royal Livingstone, including flights/transfers from Maun through the camps and then to Victoria Falls. It also includes a few activities in Victoria Falls, but I would estimate that is only $100-300 of the price. Based on what it says the lodges cost on some websites this sounds quite high, but perhaps 2007 rates have gone up quite a bit? I understand that the agent should get a commission and don't need the absolute bargain basement price, but want to make sure I am getting a decent price. I have no real idea what these camps or the transfers should cost, but cannot figure out how it would add up to this much money. Thanks.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Also, thanks for the River Club suggestion moremiles. Did you find that it was too removed from the falls for the falls-related activities? We will only have one full day there and our focus will be on viewing the falls/doing some of the adventure activities nearby, which is why we hadn't considered River Club. But I could be wrong in my assumption that it is more difficult to do these things from there.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 06:27 PM
santharamhari

Sara,

That sounds like a really inflated price.....

Whatever activities mentioned are part of the daily rate, they shouldnt make it sound like you are getting something extra.....

Hari

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

I had the same thought about it being inflated, but the agent has been really knowledgeable and helpful so I don't know how to approach the issue and want to make sure it really is inflated first. I know that the activities at the camps are included, what I meant is it also includes some activities in Victoria Falls (i.e. sunset cruise, helicopter). Do you know how much the rates should be for high season 2007 at Mombo and Kings Pool? How about the air transfers between camps and to/from Maun and Kasane? That would help me figure this out if anyone knows, even if it's only approximate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -