Seniors in Egypt in april

Mar 22nd, 2011, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Seniors in Egypt in april

We are two active seniors toying with the idea of a trip to Egypt this April. We will be using lady Egypt who feels there is no problem. Any thoughts most welcome.
Winnie5
Mar 22nd, 2011, 02:35 PM

Go and have a wonderful time!
Mar 22nd, 2011, 04:03 PM

I'm sure the LE guides will do a very good job showing you the sites and navigating you around Egypt. Enjoy your trip!
Mar 22nd, 2011, 04:04 PM

You are in good hands with Lady Egypt. If you take the touring at your own pace, take plenty of rest stops and watch the heat you will have a wonderful time. There is a cool, refreshing hibiscus tea that is very good for reviving lagging bodies and spirits. But watch the ice. Go and enjoy the amazing country and friendly, helpful people.
Mar 22nd, 2011, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou, we will book our flight from Los Angeles, has anyone flown Emirate airlines, economy?
Winnie 5
Mar 22nd, 2011, 05:23 PM
P_M

I haven't flown AE but I have used Lady Egypt and they are wonderful. Have a great trip.
Mar 22nd, 2011, 10:44 PM

Go and have a fabulous time. I just went with Lady Egypt and the care and attention we received was fabulous. If anything unfortunate did happen when you were there, Lady Egypt would take fabulous care of you.
Mar 23rd, 2011, 04:48 AM

There is still unrest there and a new war in Libya

which is pretty close to where you will be.

They are trying to get back to normal but many things are

not still like their stock market which has been closed for

over a month opened last night for 5 minutes crashed 10%

and was closed again so go with a group and exercise casution.

check travel.state.gov advisories and monitor

insuremytrip.com always wise.

Still odds are great you will be fine.

Have fun,
Mar 23rd, 2011, 05:30 AM

We are 2 seniors who have a trip planned for mid May. Even though the US travel advisory is still in place we're hoping to go barring any serious new developments. People who have been reporting back are saying that they have not experienced any major problems. In fact they are saying it's better to see the sites without mobs of tourists and some are receiving upgrades on their accommodations.

Have never flown on Emirate Airlines but from our experience with other non US airlines we feel that the service has always been better. That is just our opinion though. Have a great trip!!
Mar 23rd, 2011, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Well, we are about to book our tickets after positive reports, still a bit edgy though.
Mar 23rd, 2011, 06:39 PM

Please be advised.
If you had to cancel or found yourselves in a "situation" while in Egypt, would your insurance company then cover you? If there is a advisory issued from your government not to travel to Egypt and you needed to implement your insurance.....well be warned!! It does not matter that Lady Eygpt is "wonderful" and wants your business.
We were a "casualty of war". Our group of 14 cancelled our Feb 2011 tour. We are now scheduled to go Feb/March 2012 - after the election.
Mar 24th, 2011, 05:11 AM

Winnie-If you are feeling edgy or have ANY reservations maybe you should rethink your travel plans. It all depends on your comfort level. You don't want to travel to Egypt and then spend your time there worrying about unrest, etc. My husband and I don't have any qualms so like I said previously we are still planning to go barring any serious developments. We traveled in Kenya after the election troubles in 2008 with no problems of any sort.

Like silverstar10 said you may want to check what your insurance states. In our 30+ years of travels we've never had to use the insurance but you never know. You could wait but then again, things in Egypt could get worse. You just never know!!
Mar 24th, 2011, 06:25 AM

Hi Winnie, we are leaving on Saturday for two weeks in Egypt! The concession we made to the "troubles" was cutting out one day from Cairo and adding it to Luxor. We have trip insurance but it excludes civil unrest/terrorism--we have it more for the medical part. Our guide also assures us we will be ok and he has taken pains to tell me what's going on in Cairo. When I told him we didn't want to be out at night in Cairo, (as mentioned by Casual-Cairo last month), he moved us from the Cairo Marriott out to the Mena House Oberoi. He said there are still demonstrations, peaceful, in Cairo that block streets and make the traffic delays even worse. Our itinerary still includes the Egyptian Museum, Coptic and Islamic Cairo. We feel comfortable, from reading various blogs and forums, online newspapers, and our guide's assurance that it's safe for us to visit. Good luck with your decision!
Mar 25th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

We are booked and ready to go leaving April 15th. Have only one reservation and that is the sleeper train to Aswan, other than that we are very excited and wish chris and Nola a wonderful holiday.
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:09 AM

Hey Winnie5, our paths might cross but who would know? We're flying because, honestly, I can't face a sleeper train - not at my age! Consider it.
Mar 26th, 2011, 07:50 AM

Winnie5-I also can't face the idea of the sleeper train but mainly because I'm such a light sleeper!! We are flying from Cairo to Abu Simbel. After our overnight in Abu Simbel we vehicle convoy back to Aswan....

I want to wish you both a great trip and please report back!! This weekend we are packing our suitcases for a trial weight check! I honestly can't wait until we leave-less than 2 months to go.
Mar 26th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Chris, will certainly let you know how it all goes.
Mar 26th, 2011, 06:56 PM

Winne, we took the sleeper from Cairo to Aswan in summer of '08. We love train travel, and this was no exception. It is far from luxury travel, but it was perfectly comfortable (I can pretty much sleep anywhere) and enjoyable way to go. (We chose the train because the only flight we could get would have required getting up around 3 a.m. --- and I know my family, at least one member of which would have missed the plane LOL).

(BTW, Casual Cairo and I disagree about this, but I would recommend bringing your own food -- dinner was no better, and maybe worse, than most airline food, and breakfast was an array of packaged carbohydrates).

Chris, you're doing a trial weight check 2 months in advance of your trip?? We'd be lucky to do that check 2 days before we travel
Mar 26th, 2011, 10:47 PM

<>

We agree on this. I wouldn't even have bought some of the clothes I'd be wanting to take by this time, or if I wanted to take old clothes (so I could leave them and replace them with all the wonderful purchases I would make) I doubt I'd have my brain wrapped around what was expendable two months in advance. WOW!
Mar 27th, 2011, 08:59 AM

I'm a retired teacher-used to well planned organization-part of my personality I guess!! The main reason for the advance weight check is we are traveling for 2 months-1 suitcase each and husband is packing scuba gear. I need to be at 40 lbs. per suitcase especially for domestic flights in Egypt and Greece. We are determined to travel as light as possible. Thankfully a lot of places we're staying at have laundry service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO