Search

Seeks info on Kilamanjaro

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 04:10 AM
doug

Seeks info on Kilamanjaro

I'm considering climbing Kilamanjaro. Can anyone suggest an adventure group? Any suggestions on what time of year to go? <BR> <BR>Thanks, Doug

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 06:55 AM
susan

Call the Marangu Hotel in Tanzania (you can find the number in guidebooks or maybe they have a website) and book your climb through them. They've been around forever. I stayed there for five days recently and heard nothing but rave reviews from people who had gone on treks with them - - good food, good guides, etc. And the hotel is a nice place to stay for a few days before and after the climb. <BR> <BR>Experienced guides will all tell you that the Machame route is a much better experience than the Marangu route. <BR> <BR>Although I was there in the summer, I've heard that New Year's is an excellent time to climb Kilimanjaro.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 05:59 AM
Adair

Doug, I just got back from climbing Kili. I made it to the summit (Uhuru) on August 30 and we had the best weather imaginable. However, after telling you this, there was a bit of a smow storm one week later. The rule of the mountain is that it makes its own weather and therefore very unpredictable. You will need to be prepared for rain or snow no matter what time of year you climb. Feel free to e-mail me directly with any questions you may have. Adair

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 06:33 AM
lael

We were in Tanzania in January of 2000 and had excellent weather. We booked through Born Free safaris here in the states and everything was taken care of. We were based out of Arusha and stayed at Mountain Village Lodge which was really nice compared to hotels in town of Arusha. Did safari beforehand to Ngorongoro crater and the Serengeti and stayed at Serena Lodges both places (beautiful!). Summited Jan. 26th Uhuru Peak via the Machame Route and you cannot predict the weather: we had no snow -be prepared for it all. Then flew to Zanzibar for short recuperation. <BR>E-mail me for any particulars as I know I needed all the info I could get before I went!

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 02:16 PM
Adair

Doug, I forgot to mention that I went through Tropical Ice with James Makau as our guide and he was fantastic. We climbed the 6 day Rongai route which was really beautiful. Never saw a soul for 5 days nor did we see any of the garbage that you see on the Coca-cola route. Also, we were able to stay in individual tents rather than the mountain huts, which I would highly recommend. Don't skimp on your outfitter. A good reliable one will make the difference on your enjoyment of the trip. Six of us went up and six of us made it to the top. <BR>Adair

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 02:19 PM
Linda

I've heard some good things about www.adventureseek.com for matching you with guides and operators for any type of adventure, and know they have lots of info on Africa.

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topping because for my next international trip (not sure when), I want to travel to either Asia or Africa....

Mt. Kilamanjaro is tops on my list.