Search

Seeking antipest

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking antipest

Hello - You recently took a walking trip with the bush camps, yes? I'm trying to decide on a camp for next year. My first choice was Chamilandu but it may not work with my schedule. Kapamba camp was mentioned as one that would be open when I need it. Did you stay here and how was it? (In terms of guides, game, scenery) You seemed to like Bili a lot, too. I'd be going end of May to first week in June. Any thoughts for me?
Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 03:10 PM

SORRY ---gotta top it...
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Is there anything funnier than getting excited over an answer to your post, only to be reminded that you topped it yourself? Funny and maddening!!! (I guess at this point I'm talking to myself....)

:'>
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 06:37 PM

You may be talking to yourself, but we can all hear it!! Keep it up!
Dennis
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 08:36 PM

hee hee! thanks D~ I was afraid to click on this, trying to remember how many posts I'd made to myself!... Just think - the folks on this board have to put up with me for another ...nearly 8 months before I even leave!

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 09:53 PM

Hi, I spent 11 nts with the Bushcamp Co in early June this year, and divided my time up amongst all the camps (bush). Yes Bili was my favourite, there is a real feel of isolation here, it is very close to the Luangwa river and one of the main walking areas means crossing a tributary which almost feels as if you are entering another 'land'. There is a waterhole at the camp, so most afternoons are spent watching game rather than the normal snooze. Chamilandu(2nd favourite) is also a great camp, it is raised up on stilts overlooking the Luangwa and has probably the best accomadation of all the camps.
I know nothing of Kapamba!
I believe none of the Bush C Co camps open until June 1st. However they are building a new camp which by now should be finished. It might be worth enquiring about this one as I was led to believe that it was to be kept open for as long as possible.
The 2 Camps we enjoyed the most had the same guide(we managed to get him transfered to Bili,when there was other guides off on leave). The other 2 camps Chindeni and Kuyenda are also both fabulous and should not be dismissed.
If you are staying for a short time Bili is about a 3.5 to a 4 hour transfer to Mfuwe airport and as we got the 8.30 Airwaves flight out a 4am start is required, this is a long bouncy transfer in a open Landrover!!
I have a rule about never returning to a place visited, but rules are there to be broken and we will return to Zambia and would use the Bush Camp Co again as they provided us with everything and more that we could possibly require. If you are requiring luxury this is not the outfit(or Country) for you!!!!
Sorry about the disjointed ramblings, but if you require specific info, just ask.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 03:53 AM

Thanks so much for the post! No, I love the bush camp ideal and very much look forward to my time there. I've hearad nothing but good things. But sometimes one camp may have a substantially better location or be in a better game viewing area. Esp. since I'm going early in the season, I want to maximize my options, so to speak. Kapamba is the new camp to which you referred. It's a year-round camp. Was there much being said about it? Thanks again!
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 05:06 AM

Antipest: If it helps, the specific issues for me are: I'll be going early in the season. If I take my entire trip in May I can save a lot of money. In order to do this and include a bush co. bush camp, it would have to be the new camp, Kapamba, and I don't know much about it. It's not yet placed on the map on the company's web site, so I don't know where it's located. So perhaps the question is if going early in the season (LIke May or first week June) would you have a recommendation? thanks again!
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 08:50 PM

Hi,
When we stayed at Bili I went one afternoon with the camp host to visit the new camp that was being built about 30 mins away from Bili, I now remember it's called Kapamba!!!! It will be the furthest camp from Mfuwe but I believe that it can be reached from a supply road so might not take as long to get to as Bili, where you use the safari roads. The camp will have 6 (I think) large lodges with spa pools etc, so will be luxurious by Zambian standards. It is right on the edge of a river. It used to be a private house which was knocked down, there is a swimming pool which is going to be renovated once they can stop animals using it!!
No one seemed to know how good the game was in the area as the work had scared off everything. But would you build a lodge in an area with no game???
I went the 1st 10 days in June and although ths bush is thick, you still see game in plenty. Its great to walk around a corner and see Elephants blending in with Mopani bushes. If you go in June I would recommend Bili or Chamilandu. If you go in May you will need to stay at Kapamba. I have pictures of Kap, but they are only of skeleton structures and concrete bases.
To go as far as Africa, I would recommend you go when you can enjoy as many of the attractions as possible. So pay the extra and go in June, after all "your a long time dead"!!!!

All the best

Mark.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 04:27 AM

Thanks again Mark! I'm booked at Chamilandu during the first week in June, I think I'll stick with it. Kapamba looks really nice on their web site, but there aren't a lot of photos and none of the surrounding environment. Bili looks great, too! Next time......