Sarova hotels/lodges

Apr 6th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Original Poster

Sarova hotels/lodges

Hi
We have booked the Sarova lodges in Shaba, Nakuru and Masai mara. Have any of you stayed in these lodges? Hows is the food there.

We will also be staying at the Ark and the Mt. Kenya Club. We have been told that no jeans, T Shirts etc is allowed at the Mt. Kenya club. Is it true?If its so formal then what do the children do?

Can't wait till August.

Whizforty
Apr 6th, 2006, 03:34 AM
sandi

It's formal to the point of no jeans or t-shirts at dinner.

During breakfast and lunch, we've seen guests in slacks, even shorts (if they had been playing tennis) and Ts... but a jacket or sweater is appreciated over the shoulders in the dining room.

In evenings, it's not "black-tie" rather nice casual for men and women; slacks, skirts with shirt or sweater(no jeans); it's suggested that men also wear a sports jacket, for women a light jacket or sweater.

It's quite cold up at Mt. Kenya at night. We even noticed the dancers who perform on the lawn in the evening were wearing socks. In fact, the dining room was so cold that my partner was kind enough to give me his jacket though I was wearing a shawl.

Same holds for children, where a pair of khakis or "docker's-type" slacks is preferrable.

Generally, it's not recommended to even bring jeans, as they are heavy when packing; if you have these laundered while on safari they'll take forever to dry (line-dried, not machine). If you do choose to pack jeans for yourselves and the children, they should be worn while on game drives; a nice pair of khakis will suit otherwise. I'm sure your children have something other than jeans to wear.

Apr 10th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi, for the information.Sorry for not replying earlier. We will pack accordingly.Would you be having any information or feedback on the Sarova lodges in Shaba, Nakuru and the Mara? They all seem pretty good in pictures..... was just wondering if any one has stayed there.

Can't wait till August.

Apr 10th, 2006, 04:42 AM
sandi

In the Mara, the Sarova is a camp, not a lodge. Everyone should a "sleeping under canvas experience" while in Africa and this will do it for you and your children. I believe, the camp has recently been refurbished, so check with your tour operator.

Lion Hill too has recently been refurbished. This is a lodge with all chalet rooms on a bluff facing Lake Nakuru; with evening entertainment, also a pool for between game drives.

At Shaba you have a lodge, the only lodge in this part of the combined Shaba, Samburu, Buffalo Springs Reserves. Only recently was a high-end, very expensive camp (Joy's camp) opened in the area. Game viewing with lots and lots of elephants here is excellent. Also a good place for camel safaris (if Shaba conducts these [I'm not certain, so check]); consider a visit to a Samburu Manyatta/village during your stay here.

It's been awhile since I've been to these properties, but as to food, we found it to be good, with many choices... always leave room for desert.

You and your family will have a wonderful time visiting during this time. Safari njema!

Apr 11th, 2006, 11:40 PM

I stayed at the Sarova Lion Hill Lodge at Nakuru last October in the River Suite. The property was great with a fantastic view through the fever trees to the lake. The room was large and very comfortable.

I can't remember much about the food, except that there were many choices.

I did some very good souvenir shopping in their gift shop, they had a good range, OK prices and an interesting display of well made and unusual (heavy with many strands) of bead necklaces.

Cheers,

Polly
Apr 12th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi & Polly.

Our outfitters have said that yellow fever shots are mandatory,however the info on the net says otherwise. Will have to keep checking our local clinics. We stay in Kuwait and are Indian nationals. Not sure if that makes any difference !
Apr 12th, 2006, 09:31 AM
sandi

Those visitors from most Western countries (wher there is no YF) are not required to have Yellow Fever inoculations for entry into Kenya or Tanzania. Nor are you likely come upon areas where there may even be any Yellow Fever.

However, the rules for visitors coming from other countries (Kuwait, India, etc.) may be very different. On the other hand, the country to which you are returning, may require you have YF having been to East Africa, in order to return home. That may very well be what the requirement for YF is based.

Apr 12th, 2006, 09:51 AM

ate lunch at Sarovas Lion Hill in Nakuru. GREAT food, great location. Didn't see the rooms:

http://waynehazle.com/eastafrica/Nak...l16/009_6.html
http://waynehazle.com/eastafrica/Nak...l16/010_7.html
http://waynehazle.com/eastafrica/Nak.../100_1266.html
http://waynehazle.com/eastafrica/Nak.../100_1265.html
That tomato soup was just amazing! I never liked tomato soup UNTIL going to Africa.

Apr 12th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Wayne, I was just snooping around your website (I started at the tomato soup photo). I will be visiting Dubai in November, and I'd like to get a photo from the viewpoint on your Dubai first page. Can you tell me from where this photo was taken, please?

Thanks, Michael
Apr 12th, 2006, 11:47 AM

I hate to be totally not helpful... but I don't remember exactly where we were. I am sure it doesn't help to say we were by a river

It was soon after starting the tour. We stayed at a hotel close to the airport. We stopped somewhere just to get this shot. If I can find out more on my video I will let you know

Search this Thread