Sanctuary Lodges now in Zambia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got an email today saying that Sanctuary Lodges is now the "proud new owner" of the following lodges in Zambia:

Sussi & Chuma on the banks of the Zambezi River in the Mosi-Oa-Tunya National Park above the world-famous Victoria Falls

Lechwe Plains Tented Camp in the Lochinvar National Park north of Lusaka

Kulefu Tented Camp situated on the banks of the Zambezi River in the Lower Zambezi National Park

Puku Ridge Tented Camp in the South Luangwa National Park

Chichele Presidential Lodge in the South Luangwa National Park, the world-famous lodge which was originally built by President Kaunda

Importantly, ALL of these will close for the rest of 2007 so that quality can be upgraded.

I have to say, I was looking forward to going to Zambia and Namibia in a couple years, having it cost a lot less than Botswana. Now I'm not so sure. It seems like Zambia will cost the same in no time, with Sanctuary Lodges and Wilderness Safaris moving in.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 07:51 AM

Go to Zambia this year.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Btw, Sussi & Chuma will remain open.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 12:00 PM

For next year's reference, here are the prices (high season pp/pn, website pricing) for 2007 before the buy out:
Sussi, Lechwe- $400.00
Kulefu, Puku Ridge- $475.00
Chichele Lodge- $500.00
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 12:10 PM

so star of africa is no more?
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 12:58 PM

Looks like Star of Africa is gone. And a lot of money is moving into the Valley.

It begun some time ago. Norman Carr Safaris were sold to an European investor and opened a real luxury camp (Mchenja) in the northern part of SLNP last season. The main share of Robin Pope Safaris also moved to Europe (75% what I've heard); look at their Safari Houses line and all the new marketing. I guess there's still enough money available for upgrading Nsefu and Tena Tena. Then WS bought the Luamfa Concession, opening the first camp this season. Now Sanctuary...

Air is getting thin for the old owner-run operations.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 12:48 AM

I am absolutely furious about this > > >
We were told by Star of Africa last night that our 5 nights at Puku Ridge (booked for Sept 07) is no more and to seek accommodation elsewhere if we weren't happy with there alternate option of Norman Carr.
Will have to get on to Rocco.

Marc
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 11:06 AM

Marc, which camp did they offer you as alternative?
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 11:28 AM

sorry that happened to you Marc, Puku Ridge is such a nice place, hope you get something similar or better. Good luck! Let us know....
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 06:13 PM

Good luck also to all the drivers, guides, house mates, etc of these camps - I doubt that alternatives were offered to them for this season. Luxury has its price.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 07:40 PM

they weren't treated too well by SOA anyway Nyama and are/were involved in a lawsuit with the previous managers of PR. From what I heard from them after staying there it was not a good company to work for. Hopefully Sanctuary will treat the employees better.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 07:56 PM

matnikstym, I guess a bad job is still better than no job. Whatsoever, you have been at Puku Ridge - is it really necessary to refurbish/upgrade this camp?
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 08:37 PM

I thought the camp was perfect. the tents were large, comfortable and beautifully decorated, the main area also was very nice as was the pool and eating area. the only thing that possibly needed changing was the railings on the balconies/decks but don't think it would take a season to do that. Some of the zippers on the window flaps didn't work but again, don't think it would take a season to replace. They had just replaced the thatch roofs last season. The food and staff including the guide were outstanding as was the "Puku Ridge Choir who sang every night before dinner. The chef was a marvel! Diamon the maitre'd went on to become a "councilman" for his home area and left SOA. The managers were fired abrubtly with money due, hence the lawsuit. The rest of the staff weren't paid on time or what was due them (second hand news, nothing to back it up) Strange the new company would close everything and lose 1 season's worth of business. I don't know how they possibly could improve Chichele either, it was immaculate and beautiful. It will be interesting to see what they actually do.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:02 AM

Hi Nyama

We were offered Kapani Lodge and Nsolo Camp. We have declined these options as there are mainly walking safaris, which we will be already be doing at Kaingo/Mwamba (8 nights).
We will probably look at Luangwa River Lodge or Chongwe River Camp, however accommodation is tight here.

I also have to agree with yourself and matnikstym, at to why a Company would close down these Lodges coming in to their peak periods??

Any suggestions on 5/6 nights that's slightly different to Kaingo and yet not too far away? Have also considered Tafika (ultra light is tempting) but it's very similiar to Kaingo, I believe.

Cheers
Marc
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:13 AM

I'd recommend Luangwa River Lodge if there is availability. Tafika is nice, the ultralight was fun but it is somewhat close to Kaingo and as you say, might be the same. LRL is down river quite a bit and goes to different areas of the park. Chongwe is also nice with canoeing, fishing, drives, walks but you would have to fly from Mfuwe-Royal which would eat up some time but you might get a short morning drive at Kaingo and get to Chongwe for an afternoon boat ride for sundowners. LRL has about the same amount of guests as Puku Ridge though LRL has chalets, PR has tents. Chongwe has tents but can accommodate something like 22 people as opposed to 10-12. Dining at LRL is gourmet, Chongwe is more cafeteria style though quite good and is served at 1 time where everyone eats together...the only time we felt crowded there.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:16 AM

Marc, walking safaris with Shenton? Interesting, never did that there. With one exception when we left vehicle and approached a leopard on foot (Patrick was the guide). You should do the Elephant Hide sleepout at Kaingo.

Recommendations for alternatives: First I would try WS in the southern part of the park, complete different area. If this doesn't work I would head for Tafika. The microlight flights are a great experience (I did them twice) and game drives in Nsefu Sector are excellent. Nsefu Sector is a good complement to the area of Kaingo/Mwamba. While latter is good for lion sightings (Lion Plains), Nsefu is excellent leopard area (imo the best in South Luangwa) and also great for birding. Tafika also has a hide in camp, good for siesta time (I made some nice bushbock shots there). Or go directly with Robin Pope and stay at Nsefu Camp or Tena Tena (Nsefu Camp would be my favourite). I wouldn't recommend Luangwa River Lodge, it's more for the American market and doesn't fit well to Australian tastes. Game viewing area of LRL (around Luangwa Wafwa) is also less exclusive than Nsefu Sector, expect to see more game drive vehicles here.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:26 AM

nyama - you've been to Nsefu, yes? What were your leopard sightings?
regards - tom
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:39 AM

Tom, during a 3-night stay at Tafika and a 3-night stay at Nsefu Camp we had 1-3 leopard sightings during each night drive. I remember a wonderful sub-adult that was rolling like a pussy cat on the track in front of the vehicle. We also had 3 daylight sightings including one mock charge. On one occasion we watched a nice male making his typical sounds, and followed him for about 30 minutes; several times he passed the vehicle within 3 metres. This all happened in October which I regard as the best month for game sightings in the Valley. I will be back to South Luangwa next October.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:47 AM

nyama, just goes to show you about game sightings. I was Nsefu 4 nights Sep 2005 and 4 nights Sep 2006, Tena Tena 2 nights Sep 2006. Total leopards, caught a 30 second glimpse one night of one leopard. (But no big deal, seen lots of leopards in Sabi Sands).
regards - tom
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:58 AM

Tom, we all know that there's no guarantee for sightings. Sorry for your bad luck. I've been in Zambia in August, September and October, and from my experience the best time in the Valley is end of October when all the animals concentrate by the river. I will go to Nsefu Sector in the 2nd half of October. the hottest time of the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -