Search

Cairo - Luxor trains

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 12:32 AM
Teresa

Cairo - Luxor trains

Does anyone have recent experience with the overnight trains between Cairo and Luxor? I am getting conflicting information about safety and am having trouble finding schedule, fare and booking information on-line. I am trying to do this without using an agent because my experience with Egypt travel was that the agents were always trying to push a complete package and were not very helpful with the individual pieces.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 11:29 PM
Kelly

I am wondering about this too. I have read that there are 2 night trains, one the "Wagon Lit" with sleeper compartements and basically used by tourists, then another night train. I have gotten conflicting into whether this other, less luxorious but cheaper train also has any sleeper/couchette compartments. Can anyone help???

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 07:27 PM
Michelle

My trip was arranged from home, but you could arrange the train through a travel agency in Egypt after you get there. The Wagonlits are fine. It wasn't crowded and the other passengers were mostly Europeans. Some of the other trains I saw in Egypt were in rough shape though and some didn't look safe. I would want to see the cheaper train before I bought a ticket on it.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Barb

My train trips were arranged through the tour I was on. I don't know about the trains with sleeper compartments, but the train my group travelled on was a bit dodgy. We were in "first class" with recliner seats and breakfast served in the morning. However, it was far from luxurious and it was almost impossible to sleep due to the arrival of an under-20 soccer team at about 12am. And the toilets - I won't even go there! <BR><BR>It was an adventure though, and we all survived. I would recommend looking into night travel very carefully though!

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 12:42 PM
Kelly

I have received a little more info so I thought I would post an update...<BR><BR>I am booking a cruise through an egyptian agency that I found recommened here and I am having them book our night train tickets. It is for the "Wagon Lit" train, this is supposedly the only one with sleeping compartments. I am paying $75 a ticket which includes breakfast and dinner and only the 2 of us in the sleeper. I don't know how this compares to the price if you buy the ticket yourself once in Egypt, but since we are leaving only 2 days after arriving in Cairo, I didn't want to risk not getting seats as it will be high season (Jan).<BR><BR>The company I am using is Travco:<BR>web site http://www.travco-eg.com<BR><BR>They have been great about piecing together the trip I want to take (cruise, some internal flights, train, side trip to Abu Simbel) and have not once tried to even offer me hotels or anything other than what I asked for. I see they come highly recommended from the newsgroup here so I am hoping it all works out well.