Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Anyone stayed at duba plains or dumatau in Botswana?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Dena

I am looking for feedback on these two camps since I am considering them for next september. I think Mombo is quite a bit more expensive. Feedback on other camps you like is appreciated. Thanks.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Michael

I stayed at two other Wilderness camps (Chitabe and Savuti) and ignored Mombo not just for price but because my guess was that it would attract a crowd more interested in swilling champagne that wildlife viewing. Both Chitabe and Savuti were excellent, and I'm sure Duba Plains and Dumatau are equally fantastic -- you cannot go wrong with Wilderness Safaris' camps in Botswana.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 07:08 AM
kavey

I just want to comment on Mombo - as that's actually the opposite of all the people we met there. Despite the incredible rooms and pool every guest went out on every available drive - the reason being that game viewing here is just on a different scale to most every other camp around.<BR><BR>We spent hours every day within 10 feet or less of the big cats, as well as really close up and prolonged sightings of wild dogs, elephants, various deer, just every animal and so many birds.<BR><BR>Although the luxurious tents are stunning, people really do choose Mombo for the game experience itself.<BR><BR>Mind you I have the same preconceptions as you do about some of the game parks and lodges in South Africa and I am probably wrong about those!<BR><BR>Just wanted to say that. I should add that I soooo do not have any links or anything with the camp but that I understood your preconception, and wanted to explain that it's not the case!<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 07:10 AM
kav

PS We also went to Chitabe - the game viewing just didnt compare on any level to that at Mombo (for us). We saw two leopard brothers from a distance - needed binoculars to really see anything) for about half an hour.<BR><BR>We didn't see much else, and the experience at Mombo in terms of guide expertise was just another whole level up.<BR><BR>

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 08:06 AM
rnr

Just returned one week ago from Mombo Lodge in the Delta in Botswana. Whoever gave the impression of champagne swilling misled you seriously. Lions all over the place. Hyena. Buffalo. Hippo. All right in camp. You needed to keep an eye peeled. Yes, Mombo is expensive, but the rangers are execellent, and generally you'll be out at least eight hours a day seeing the animals. But do be advised that under their rules, viewing in 4x4 vehicles must end by 7 p.m. I can assure you Wilderness Safaris is first rate - you cannot go wrong with these people. We used them exclusively for various aspects of the trip. Not one misstep. If you have the privilege of being at Mombo or Little Mombo, it will be a magical experience. We are already planning our third trip back.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 03:22 PM
cary

My wife and I have just returned from a trip to the Delta where we visited both Duma Tau and Duba Plains. Each camp is incredible, yet different. The variety of game is extensive around the Duma Tau area. Every day, we saw animals everywhere. We even had the experience of having an elephant stop for a meal right in front of our balcony. Duba Plains is remarkable for its lions. There are 4 prides that live in the area of the camp, and you can almost be certain to see some of them every day. The dynamic of the interaction between the lions and the large herds of buffalo that roam the area is truly an experience that we will not forget. The accomadations at each of the camps are top notch, with great personal service and fairly small groups. We spent 3 nights at both camps, with an additional 3 nights at Tubu Tree, Wilderness' newest camp. It was also fantastic. We would go back to all 3 again tomorrow if we had the time and money. Wilderness does an outstanding job in all aspects of the trip. The logistics, guides, and camps were all wonderful. Let me know if I can be of any furthur help.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 12:52 PM
Dena

Cary, If you had to choose just one of the camps to return to, which was your favorite? In terms of accomodations? In terms of game viewing? in terms of diversity of activities?<BR>How was the weather when you were there? I am probably planning on going mid september and hoping the winter chill is gone by then.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 01:16 PM
RnR

Carey, at Duba Plains, did you meet the Ranger named Richard who had just flown in from work at Mombo - tall, English, with a blond ponytail? Brilliant guide!!

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 05:35 PM
Cary

I'll try to answer some of the questions....<BR><BR>It is difficult to pick any 1 camp over the other, but the experience we had at Duba probably gives it a slight edge. There is a great struggle for power going on between the resident lion prides to determine who will take over and dominate now that the Duba Boys (current dominant males) are declining in power. It is fascinating just to watch. On top of that, there is the ever present heard of buffalo which gives a great chance to see the lions on a hunt. As far as accomodations go, each camp was spectacular. The "tents" and common areas make it hard to believe you are in the middle of the Delta, that is, until you hear the sounds of the African night. You can't go wrong with Duma, Duba, or Tubu. However, if you want true diversity in game, Duba might not be the place to go. Its mostly lions and buffalo, with some small herds of elephants and lechwe around too. Tubu and Duma Tau have more in terms of diversity.<BR><BR>Weather wise, I don't think you'll have to worry about a chill in September. It may be a little cool in the early AM, but during the day it was hot (we were in the Delta the last 2 weeks of Sept). I think the highs were somewhere around 100 F, and about 55-60 at night.<BR><BR>Activity diversity - At Duma Tau, you have the opportunity to go out on the Linyanti River in between game drives. It was awesome, as we had the chance to see huge heards of elephants come down to the water to get a drink (not to mention the hippos!). Being on the water gives a different perspective and experience. At Tubu, they were still offering Mokoro rides despite the low flood levels. That was also amazing. At Duba, the water levels were too low to offer water activities. However, the low water levels open up more territory for exploring on land.<BR><BR>We did not meet Richard. We were fortunate enough to have James as our guide. He helped make the experience even more wonderful.<BR><BR>I hope I answered some of you questions without confusing you even more. You really can't go wrong. Let me know if I can be of further help.