Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Sleeping car or reclining seats - what would you recommend for overnight train trip (cairo to Luxor)?

Search

Sleeping car or reclining seats - what would you recommend for overnight train trip (cairo to Luxor)?

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be taking a train overnight from Cairo to Luxor and we are trying to decide if we should upgrade to the sleeping car that has 2 beds. Currently we are booked for the reclining chairs. Are they comfortable? Could we get a decent nights sleep? We had opted against the sleeping car because we were not interested in the meal they provided and didn't think the extra $120 was worth it. Please give you opinion and let us know if we should get the sleeping car after all.
Thanks tons.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:29 AM

Why not fly ?
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

We fly back to Cairo. This is just how Egypt Highlights arranges its tours. I am fine with taking the train as I have never done this before.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:06 PM

hi,
we are group of 10 doing the nile cruise from cairo to aswan,but taking the night train back from aswan to cairo.though we are booked through a tour operator we were advised to take the sleeping car instead of the reclining chair,which i believe is very uncomfortable and pokey and would make your journey misrable.opt for a/c sleeper.though their website paints a rosy picture its not suppose to to be as good.please keep in mind its a 10hr to 12hr journey.remember you have to reach fresh to sightsee too.I would give you want a first-hand experience when i'm back on th 22nd of May.
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:19 PM

We took the sleeping car in November from Cairo to Luxor and it was ok (I don't sleep well on trains, but my husband slept very well). Do bring food! If you prefer to fly, EH would accomodate that if you are on an independent tour. Have a great trip!
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 12:30 PM

My husband and I took the EH tour last September and had the overnight trains twice, we loved it.. oh, not the Oriental express by a long shot but a lot of fun.. in a rickety tippy sort of way! Conlet is right, bring your own munchies the train food in Egypt is pretty nasty.. and that is even in comparison to other trains elsewhere.. second only to airplane food on the nasty scale!! Have fun, you will love Egype. Say hello to Walaa for me.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

You all rock! Thanks for the great info!