safari Xmas gift ideas

Old Nov 18th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

safari Xmas gift ideas

I've been lurking for awhile, and thanks to all for the great info I've found. We'll be going on our first safari next June/July. Working on specific plans, but will most likely be in So. Africa and Zimbabwe. I'm looking for safari-related gift ideas for my husband and daughters (ages 20, 18 and 13). Not super high dollar (Tilly's too expensive!) I've seen lots of posts re Rocco's Humvee vest, which looks like something my husband would like. Any other gift ideas? Gadgets/accessoriesc/clothing items you really love? Any other vest recomendations? (We have good binoculars from earlier travels.) Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 08:21 AM

A guide to the mammals/birds of southern Africa, to help you identify (and remember) what you see and learn about it.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 08:28 AM
cw

Lots of things--light fleece pullovers and gloves, small flashlights, digital camera memory cards, subscription to Africa Geographic magazine, fast-drying socks and "smalls," lightweight battery recharger, and small, lightweight daypacks.

Buying animal and bird identification books is the best idea though.

CW
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Buff kerchiefs -- they are stretchy tubular kerchiefs that you can wear 12 different ways. They are great at keeping dust and wind off of hair. You just pull them on and don't need to fuss with them. They are overpriced at around $20, but worth it. I got mine on sale for $13. Do a search online for 'original buff' or 'buff kerchief'. They fold up light and tiny in your duffle bag, and dry almost instantaneously.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 01:22 PM

CW beat me to it on the suggestion of a subscription to Africa Geographic. Travel Africa is another good magazine to subscribe to.

There are lots of Tilly look-a-like hats you could buy - not as sturdy and no life time guarantee but perfectly good nonetheless.

If your girls keep travel journals (I have since I was a kid) how about some lovely notebooks for that purpose - perhaps with travel theme covers or zebra/ leopard skin pattern covers?

Old Nov 19th, 2006, 06:39 PM

Above, Lisa mentioned that a guide to the mammals/birds of S Africa is a good idea. Does anyone have any books they'd recommend in this vein? Thanks, ellie
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 10:47 PM
santharamhari

Lots of dvd's/videos available on Southern African wildlife via documentaries. Check out amazon, discovery store, NG store etc etc.,

Hari

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good suggestions! I too would be interested in opinions about the SA wildlife guides. Also, it seems Rocco's photo vest is recommended more to get around airline weight restrictions than for the safari. If I get my husband a vest, will he find it useful on safari or will he look like a dweeby American tourist? (I have to confess, he's an engineer and a pack rat, so he actually is a bit of a dweeb.) (In a good way.)
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 09:38 PM

You might check out a travel catalog like Magellan's. They also have a website: www.magellans.com. There are a lot of small items you might find interesting. One of my favorites is a water bottle holder consisting of an O ring and carabiner. You pull the O ring over the top of the bottle and clip it anywhere...a belt loop, day pack, etc.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 06:30 AM
dalboths

Hi. If you're camping then definitely I'd recommend a 'head flash light' for each of you, so you can be hands-free and still see. The bradt travel guides are VERY good for Botswana and Namibia, wouldn't know for elsewhere. Fleeces are important, gloves and hats to keep warm, especially in June/ July when temps can dip to very chilly when you're getting up early for those dawn game drives. A Garmin GPS is a handy thing to have. Plastic water bottles definitely. I've always really valued lots and lots of plastic bags, to put cameras in etc to keep the dust out, and also food in to stop food smells getting to unwelcome guests. zip-lock plastic bags are wonderful! I don't tend to go for anything too 'safari' in terms of clothes, just muted colours so you're not sticking out of the bush like a sore thumb, and lots of layers to keep warm but you can peel off as the sun gets stronger and pockets to put your bits and bobs in and you'll be fine. A compass is something I'd never travel without, just in case. Nothing fancy again, just so you can get a bearing. Have fun!!!