Search

Safari trip to Botswana

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safari trip to Botswana

Hi Guys,
I have finally decided to take a action packed safari vacation.... I have some destinations like Botswana. Do you guys think Botswana will offer me an adventurous vacation with mother nature.
Thanks.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 02:52 AM

Botswana is a beautiful safari destination, though many of the best safari locations are remote and therefore expensive to reach. Botswana's tourist income model is for low volume high price and the prices keep getting higher and higher.

You can also self-drive in some areas which I have no experience of, but others here have done so.

I have visited a number of camps in the Okavango Delta, I've also been to the Savuti area and the Magkadigkadi Salt Pans in the Kalahari.

What exactly do you want to do/ see? What is your budget? How long have you got?
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

I guess Okavango Delta would be great. I have been researching on that destination for sometime and i just love that place. I guess I'll be heading there. Am just looking for an action packed safari plus a chance to experience authentic traditional cultures. Am planning on a month vacation and budget won't be a problem as this trip is supposes to be a business financed trip from my Company....
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:56 AM

Wow, what job do you do?

What kind of advice are you looking for? Are you looking for a fixed itinerary that you can sign up for or for recommendations for travel companies that can organised customised itineraries for you or simply for recommendations for individual camps/lodges so you can plan and book your own itinerary?
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:17 AM

botswana is a wonderful idea!

"action packed": there is no guarantee for that - anyhwre in africa except DRC ;-)

month long botswana safari financed by an employer! that sounds absolutely fantastic to me!

are there some vacancies?

div
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:22 AM

ref. to your original question:
if you really want some action i would go for a walking safari in south luangwa and/or kafue combined with moremi/okavango botswana and hwange zimbabwe.

zambia would be solely on foot and bot and zam a combo of gamedrives and walking safaris.

have a look for robin pope safaris in zambia, the hide in zimbabwe and cc africa for mobile in botswana.

div
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:02 AM

travel_freak: You can spend time with the bushmen in Botswana, the oldest culture on earth and a wonderful compliment with safari especially if you track predators with them.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:16 PM

I also believe Zimbabwe or Zambia would give you a tad more adventure with the emphasis on walking or canoeing.

I'll second the Bushman experience that Predator mentioned. You can do that with Uncharted Africa. I stayed at one their camps, San in the Makgadikgadi Pans. You can also ride quad bikes there in the dry season, sit near a meerkat colony, and search for ancient stone artifacts, along with traditional safari activities.

There are walking options at a variety of camps. Footsteps in Africa offers some and their camps have had great game sightings.

I did 2 walking safaris with Wilderness Safaris. One was at Chitabe where you walk to a hide on raised platform and spend the night, then walk out. The other was in Selinda. I walked from Zibalinja to one of their walking trails camps for the night and back. The typical Selinda walking trail incorporates 2 bush camps that you walk to and a main camp.

I've been assuming you mean getting out on foot by adventure, but if you never leave the vehicle (or the mokoro that is poled by an experienced poler) you can still have an amazing adventure just observing.

If you do indeed have a month, then you could easily combine Botswana, with Zambia. I've done this and it works well.