Search

safari near Johannesburg

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safari near Johannesburg

Hi! My friend and I are going to Johannesburg at the end of December to visit a friend for a week. We would like to go on a safari for 2 or 3 days - can anyone recommend where to go? (My research seems to suggest Kruger park) And also, what safari companies would be recommended? We don't have much time, so I'd like to get some kind of package deal, (either fly or drive) rather than try driving in myself. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 10:12 AM

I would say yes, go to Kruger if you possibly can; there's nothing like it. But Pilanesberg is closer to Jo'burg, so you might consider it as well.

I can't advise about companies for either, as all our trips to these two parks have been self-drive. Googling "Kruger safari" or "Pilanesberg" will get you lots of safari companies.

Especially with a friend to show you around, I know you'll have a wonderful time!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Hello,

I'm not sure what your budget is, but with such a limited amount of time I'd recommend flying into one of the private game reserves in the Sabi Sands (bordering Kruger National Park) -- tthere are daily flights out of Joburg. The flight is about an hour versus 5-6 hours on the ground. You can leave Joburg in the morning and be there in time for the afternoon game drive.

I'd highly recommend spending three days if you can -- this will give you more time to get to know the area.

You're travelling in high season, so you may want to look at booking something now as availability can be tight for some of the most popular reserves. Since you are travelling during the hottest time of the year (the heart of the African summer) you may want to look for places with private plunge pools and air-conditioning.

I've recently returned from a trip to the Sabi Sands, and I would highly recommend Mala Mala, where I stayed during my trip. The guiding and game-viewing is excellent. Unlike many reserves, their prices are the same all year round so you won't encounter a high-season premium.

http://www.malamala.com

If you want a private plunge pool, take a look at Bateleur Camp at Londolozi. I've visited Londoz many times and had wonderful game viewing. Bateleur is a bit bigger than some of the other camps (my favourites are Pioneer and Tree) but it's the only one where all rooms have a private plunge pool.

http://www.londolozi.com

If Londoz and MM are a bit outside your budget, you may want to look at Simbambili, which has also been highly rated by people who post here:

http://www.simbambiligamelodge.co.za/

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
another camp you might consider is Mashatu. http://mashatu.com/ (Mashatu is owned by the same people that own MalaMala) It is a 5 hour easy drive from Johannesburg.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 01:46 PM

Sabi Sabi also has some very good specials:

http://www.sabisabi.com/specials.php

I have not yet visited Sabi Sabi but I have always had great gameviewing in the Sabi Sand, no matter which lodge I have visited. I will be at Sabi Sabi at the end of this November and I am really looking forward to it.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 02:04 PM
RKR

Chanad, by now you probably won't get a place in either Kruger or the private reserves for the end of December/ beginning of January. But in any case for a short safari I would plump for Pilanesberg. It is a Big 5 reserve, 50000 hectares in extent, malaria-free, less than 2 hours drive from Johannesburg. If you can still get accommodation there, the lodges are of a good standard - Bakubung, KwaMariyane, Bakgatla, Ivory Tree and Manyane are in a ring around the park's boundary. Tshukudu is a more expensive lodge within the park. Sun City is also on the borders of the park, so if you get bored with watching Elephants and Rhinos you could always go there for a flutter. If there is no accommodation available you could easily do it as a day drive from Johannesburg. I will also not recommend any particular safari operator, but there are many operating that route and your friend in Johannesburg will be able to advise you.