Safari in Tanzania Jan 2008 - Foxes?

Jul 16th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Safari in Tanzania Jan 2008 - Foxes?

We're planning a 5 week trip to Tanzania in Jan/Feb 08. We're going to start by climbing kilimanarjo and end with a week in zanzibar. This leaves us about 3 weeks of Safari/Adventure. We were originally thinking of doing the Serengeti and Ngorongoro but recently got a quote from Foxes for a 13 night package at 4 spots in Southern Tanzania (Mikuni, Ruaha, Selous, Mufindi). Interested in hearing anyone's thoughts/experiences with Foxes or with Southern Tanzania safari. Thanks!!
Jul 16th, 2007, 09:57 AM

How well do you do with hot and humid weather? It will be hellishly hot in Selous at that time of year and I suspect Mikumi weather is similar. Don't know about Ruaha and Mufindi. As someone who has traveled there in December, I wouldn't go again at that time of year, but everyone's temperature tolerance is different and you may be just fine. Foxes gets good reviews here.
Jul 16th, 2007, 02:56 PM

Sarah, we have traveled to southern Tanzania twice in the past 3 years with Foxes of Africa. Have been very pleased with the Fox family. Reports from both trips are available via this board. Since both trips were in June, I can not comment on conditions in Jan/Feb. I appreciate what Patty is saying as I don't handle hot/humid on a prolonged basis very well. Dick
Jul 18th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear Foxes gets good reviews. Is the temp different in Southern Tanz vs Serengeti/Ngorongoro in Jan/Feb?
Jul 18th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Temperature differences mostly have to do with elevation. Selous is almost at sea level and closer to the coast, hence much warmer and more humid, and doesn't have as much variation between day and night temps like in the higher elevation parks in the north. I was very glad to have a fan in our cottage and 24/7 electricity. Without it, I don't think I would've gotten much sleep. Mikumi is just to the northwest of Selous and I think weather wise would be similar. I don't know the elevation of Ruaha but from the reports I've read, it seems to not be as hot as Selous.

Elevation in the Serengeti is around 5000 ft and the Ngorongoro crater rim is around 7000 ft, I believe. Day time temps can still be very warm (but without the humidity found in Selous), but it can cool off considerably at night.
Jul 19th, 2007, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Patty. Very helpful!