Safari in (Africa's) summer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how bad would it be to go on a safari in Africa (south africa, botswana, or namibia) in December? Everything I read basically says it's a bad time..but if that's the only time I can go to Africa on my honeymoon, is it so not worth it that we should go somewhere else?
Thanks!
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 08:54 PM

Hi sharbear84

I go to the Sabi Sands, private reserve next to Kruger Park in South Africa every December/January. I am not sure why people think that is a bad time - there is no bad time to go gameviewing only different times!!!

I also go in other months, and each season is different - and each season has it +'s and -'s. June July is quite dry and grasses all low and many trees may have lost their leaves, so animals generally easier to find and see, but it is extremely cold in an open vehicle in the early morning and after the sun goes down. In December, you have all the impala lambs, everything is fairly green, water about, so animals can be more spread out and harder to see in the greenery, and also a lot warmer especially during the middle of the day.

It would not be worrying me - if that is when you can go, good then go at that time - it is always a good time to go gameviewing!

Kind regards

Kaye
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 06:11 AM

As Kaye mentions, if that's the only time you can travel - by all means go ahead, you won't be disappointed .... there is always something or the other and i guess, that's the unpredictable nature of the bush ..... if it's your first safari, you are likely to be overwhelmed by your entire experience right from the gameviewing to the African hospitality to every thing else ..... Enjoy!!!
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 06:49 AM

Hi sharbear84, as the others have said, <i> go on safari </i> you will have a wonderful time and I can think of no better way to spend my honeymoon. We had our honeymoon one January and went on Safari, it was wonderful.

Yes it will probably be very hot but the animals are always there and different times of year bring their own wonders.

Have fun.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 01:53 PM

We just were in Kruger this December and had a great time. Was it hot?? Oh yeah- 100F for a few days! But we had air conditioning in our room and car and were fine. Go!
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 02:10 PM

Those were some positive comments for Southern Africa. People who went in Dec to Kenya or Tanzania also had a good time. It will be hot, but maybe you'd like some beach time to take advantage of the heat.

What did you have in mind?
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 05:16 PM

we are going over Christmas 08 -09 and can't wait. So the game viewing will be great, rather than spectacular. I can live with that, since the price is less than half, making it affordable. We are doing the green desert trip, specifically tailored to the rainy season:
http://www.eyesonafrica.net/safaris/...een-desert.htm
and going on to Lebala and Vic Falls for some adrenaline.

<i> Everything I read basically says it's a bad time </i>
What is a bad time, anyway?