Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

safari - how do we know we're just on a scenic one vs. one with guns?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might be a stupid question... but how do I know that I'm booking a regular photography safari versus one where people try to shoot the animals? Is that what they mean by a "game safari"? I haven't seen any mention of shooting animals (I'm looking at safaris in South Africa, particularly Kruger National Park), but then, I haven't seen anything against it, so I just want to make sure there's no surprises!

Thanks!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:16 PM

avlena,

Trust me, you would know the difference. A hunting safari would be very expensive, have photos of dead animals hoisted up by their human predators, and you would be told the "trophy fees" of the different animals available ($25,000 for an elephant, $50,000 for a rhino, $5,000 for a leopard and $100 for a baboon, for example.

Hunting safaris do not try to hide what they are doing, so 99.9% chances are that you would immediately know a hunting safari if you saw one.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:20 PM
santharamhari

avlena,

Game safari, refers to game-viewing....

The only hunting safaris are in hunting concessions/areas. They have them in some parts of Botswana/Zambia/namibia etc etc., Almost none of them are recommended in this forum.

If your safari is to take you to the Kruger area.......you wont have any surprises.....Which part of the greater Kruger area do you intend visiting?

Hari

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 06:36 PM

You would have to specifically seek out a hunting safari and very early in the conversation hunting permits and weapons would be discussed. Winding up on the wrong safari would be a terrible surprise and disaster. Not to worry, the game safaris are photographic.

Have a good time on your photo safari.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:51 AM

It's a bit like an establishment doing "massage", without a doubt (usually from quite a distance) you'll know immediately which experience is being vended! ;-)