safari for a non "sun person"

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering a safari, but I am not able to take much sun. The September weather seems to be condusive to covering up with long pants and shirts without smothering! The game rides are from 8-11am and 3-6 pm......does anyone have any experience with this or any recommendations for me?
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:10 PM

If referring to East Africa, be aware that you are located on the Equator where the sun is strong year-round. Even if the temps are cool/cold during morning and afternoon/evening game drives, if sensitive to the sun, you just have to use SPF. No getting away from it.

While it's cold at 6:30am-9am, after that the temps warm; likewise, it'll be warm at 3:30pm, but as the sun starts to dip around 5pm, it gets cooler. But the sun is strong at all other times. Just slap on the SPF - hands and face and wear a hat to protect the back of neck.

Old May 18th, 2007, 02:21 PM

Hi,
DH doesn't like the sun / heat either so we plan all our holidays around that. We 'did' Kenya and Rwanda last July. Both countries were fabulous but one day in the Mara it was relatively hot but not by any sense of the immagination uncomfortable - we just needed to make sure we had SPF on while on the gamedrive and hubby never once complained of the heat.
In late September 2002 we 'did' South Africa with a short trip to Zimbabwe. This, from what I can remebmer was a bit cooler with one entire day near Kruger being quite cold and we needed long pants and fleece ALL day. Also cape Town was not very hot at that time either and I wore a fleece for most of the time during our excursions (but then again I am a cold creature).

Imelda
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, ellenm,

we're off to SA in July, and are expecting coolish weather, and possibly some rain.

It's supposed to be a good time for whale and game watching though. Kruger might a be a bit warmer, but still not hot, that time of year.

there are quite a lot of web-sites that will tell you max temps and average hours of sunshine for various places.

regards, ann 8-)
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:07 PM

Make sure that your operator uses vehicles with sun roof. Wear light gloves (your hands are more often exposed to direct sunlight than your face). Use SFP for your face.