Search

SAA non-smoking?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAA non-smoking?

Coming out of Atlanta, is it all non-smoking?
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 05:07 PM

Yes. SAA is nonsmoking. I could be wrong but I believe all flights going out of the USA internationally are non-smoking.<BR><BR>By the way, how's your planning coming along and what month are you planning on visiting???
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 08:40 PM

All nonsmoking.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, both of you! <BR><BR>My plans... oh, it is so confusing. Does SAA have a website? Is there another airline within Africa that is good? (mostly for South Africa - Botswana - falls)
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 09:32 PM

They have recently opened a new one, but the old one will link to it. www.saa.co.za
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 10:56 AM

There is a low cost airline;I think it goes by the name Kuala(definitely a k)--lots of people take it
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 08:37 PM

spelling mistake: low cost airline is Kulula
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 01:55 AM

A few pieces of info (hope it's not too late):<BR>SAA website: www.flysaa.com<BR>Kulula: www.kulula.com (but they only service the main routes between Jhb, Cape Town, Durban and Port Elizabeth)<BR>Another airline on the Jhb/Vic falls route is Nationwide: www.nationwideair.co.za<BR>You can also check out Airbotswana: www.airbotswana.co.bw<BR><BR>You may interested to know that all SA airlines are non-smoking, as are all airports. One of the things our former health minister did manage to get right was tackling the tobacco industry! Smoking is only permitted in designated smoking areas and there are strict criteria regarding the requirements of these areas. It's a good thing to remember that all public buildings/places (including shopping malls) are smoke-free zones. You are fully entitled to request a non-smoking area - and the establishment must have one.<BR>
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Traci thank you for the good news!<BR>Now I assume the non-smoking rule is true of National Airlines within Africa too? Do you have an opinon of that airline vs. SAA or Kulula or Air Bots. for flights? (in terms of safety, comfort)
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 10:07 PM

Hi Clematis,<BR><BR> All non smoking
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 11:39 PM

Hi there<BR>I have not personally travelled on Air Botswana, but a colleague has. Remember that Air Bots is a small airline, funny story: a few years ago a disgruntled Air Bots pilot ploughed his aircraft (fortunately no passengers on board) into two other Air Bots aircraft on the apron. I think he was &quot;under the influence&quot; at the time. This incident effectively halved the size of the Air Bots fleet! No injuries, but dismissal and charges followed swiftly. Welcome to Africa! Now I hope that did not frighten you off. Air Bots has a good safety record (aside from the abovementioned incident) and my colleague reports that the flight was comfortable and service was acceptable.<BR>Airlines operating in and out of SA are all non-smoking, including Nationwide.<BR>Kulula is the budget airline, so be prepared for something a bit different. I've had a quiet chuckle in departure lounges as the Kulula representative calls out for any remaining passengers to board - let's just say that they are quite vocal and emotional, but all with a smile. Seats are not allocated on your boarding pass - it's a bit like a rush to get the seat you want on a bus. Also - there is no inflight service, but the longest domestic flight is 2 hours 10 minutes so I think you can survive. They have no problem with people bringing their own refreshments on board. Also - the safety briefing is conducted to a dance beat. I told you it was different. Safetywise - they have only been around for a few years and have a clean bill of health, the aircraft are on a par with Delta in terms of comfort.<BR>SAA have an excellent safety record, and have just recently bought in new aircraft. I think these are going to be used on the international routes mostly, but their existing aircraft are all comfortable. In my opinion the service is better than any I've experienced on US domestic routes. Remember that all food and beverage on board is included in the fare. Depending on the time of day of your flight you will be served an appropriate meal, or at least a snack - usually a sandwich and chocolate bar. SAA partners, SA Airlink and SA Express which service the smaller centres (and I think do the Kruger/Cape Town route) are smaller aircraft, ranging from turbo-prop regional jets and Canadairs to vomit comets (20 seater Jetstreams). It doesn't bother me at all but some people have problems with small aircraft.<BR>Nationwide are the domestic partner for Lufthansa - that gives you an idea of the standards required. They have an excellent safety record and the fleet is in good shape. On board service is also good - on a par with SAA. I think that the Jhb/Vic Falls service is on a De Havilland Dash because the run-way at Linvingstone is too short for a Boeing. A business associate recently flew this route and said they were pleasantly surprised and impressed by the service - this from someone in the travel industry so they are pretty jaded. On board refreshment are also included in the fare.<BR>Now I've left the best for last ...<BR>My favourite domestic airline is British Airways (operated by Comair). There's a bit more legroom on board, the ground crew is always pleasant and have helped me out on a few occasions in terms of opening up check-in for onward flights so that I have not had to check-in a few times when I only have hand luggage, I'm an Exec Club member and they always get my seating preference right, the on board food is supplied by the same people who supply Woolies Foodmarket (also all included in the fare), and lots more reasons! They are not more expensive than SAA so definitely worth a look if you are on one of the main routes. And they have an impeccable safety record.<BR><BR>I've just read over this post again - what makes you think I spend a lot of time on domestic flights ...?
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 12:14 AM
Original Poster

Oh, what a colorful picture you paint of the boarding process! This is going to be an adventure, I can't wait. Actually my travel agent who initially said it might be cheaper for me to book the scheduled flights when I booked my international flight must have had a change of mind because she booked every flight inside Africa.<BR><BR>I'm going JNB to Livingstone on Nationwide, Maun to J'burg on Air Botswana, Kruger Mpumalanga to CT on Nationwide. Then a 12 seater scheduled charter from JNB to Singita. A 5 seat charter from Singita to Kruger Mpumalanga Airport. Then 5 seaters from Kasane/Stanley's Camp/Mombo and Chief's to Maun. All these are costing 574 x 2 and 4350 x2 and 695 x 2 for a total of $1481 for two people - sound right? You are the flying queen!
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:16 AM

If I've counted correctly you have a total of 6 flights in your itinerary - $1481 for all that is very good, especially as half of it is charter. Just double check about airport taxes - this is such a good price they should have, but may not, be included.<BR>You are going to get such a kick out of Kruger Park Gateway Airport! The architect decided to rebel against the traditional airport style of &quot;cattle truck type processing plants&quot;. Can't say I disagree with him on that point, most airport terminals are the most dire buildings I have ever seen. So you are greeted on the apron by lifesize metal sculptures of various animals, and the terminal building is thatch and set around a watering hole with it's own collection of animal statues. There's a leaping leopard (or maybe it's a cheetah) so if you stand in just the right spot you can get the most amazing photograph. Even if you don't need to - go to the bathroom. Trust me, it's a treat.<BR>Given your routing I don't think you'll witness any Kulula boardings, they only fly domestic and your flights out of Jhb will be through the international terminal, or on a charter which I don't think go through the main terminal building.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Traci, the price was too good to be true. Heard today that the price quoted was the best possible and these flights are not available! So it's actually $407 more. I will ask if that includes taxes, I think it does.<BR>This is all a little crazy for two people who don't especially like to fly! But it will be the best way and sometimes the only way to cover as much ground as we will in a few weeks. Great tips on the Kruger airport!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 07:16 AM
woollytenderness

On Air Botswana several times recently. Perfectly safe. Often their jet is laid up for repairs, and then they switch you to a prop job. Time J'Burg to Maun is two hours. Don't get too caught up in their suicide story. True of course, but hardly relevant to your questions.