Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

SAA carry-on allowance, recent experiences?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There were some threads about this a few years ago when we first travelled to SA but I'm wondering if anyone has recent experience with their SAA carry on being weighed.

We will be travelling this summer--looking at JFK--Cape Town and then Upington to JFK via JNB on SAA.

I (and my spouse) both will be carrying lots of photo gear, and birding gear too (binoculars, possibly a scope.) There's no way our carry-ons will be the allowed weight of 18 lbs (8 kgs.) Probably more like 25 lbs each. But, we use photo backpacks and on other airlines, have never been weighed (it seems backpacks can often fly "under the radar" so to speak.)

Last trip we ended up on Delta because of their no-weight restriction, but now with SAA's non-stop flights its really more appealing, and also its currently much less expensive then Delta's.

Will we be weighed? I'm especially concerned about the domestic flights (JNB-->CPT and UPN--JNB.) Obviously we can't check this any of this gear--especially going through JNB
Old May 18th, 2011, 12:54 PM

I am also curious as to SAA's weight limitations on domestic flights. We are flying delta to/from SA, but SAA within the country.
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:04 PM

I can't speak directly to your question about SAA. Like you've said, my impression is that photo backpacks do seem to fly "under the radar." I can only guess that if you wear the backpacks, you'll probably get by (and I'm sure my guessing gives you not even a little comfort ).

I recently traded in my photo backpack for a rolling photo backpack. I suppose that wasn't particularly incognito enough because it caught the eye of staff at Safari Link (who fly much smaller craft than I think you'll be on) in Kenya who insisted on weighing the bag. They declared that I had too much weight and something had to stay stored at the airport. I had visions of disaster, but after a little discussion I was simply charged an overweight fee ($18). Man, was I relieved. So, I think the worst that could happen is you'll pay something extra. But, of course, your photo bags stay with you!

BTW, that JFK to JNB SAA flight (#204) is soooo much better than going via Atlanta with Delta.

Steve
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:06 PM

We werent weighed JNB - CPT last month.
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Funny thing is last trip we bought a rolling camera bag (Thinktank Airport International) which was SOOO great and no worries about weight on Delta. But if we travel on SAA it will be impossible to use (it weighs 10 lbs empty!) So its back to the Lowepro CompuTrekker.

I'm thinking its going to have to be SAA, as currently the Delta/KLM flight is way more expensive. Folks over on FlyerTalk are telling me that bags are being weighed, though. I do always walk through with it on my back and try to act like its not heavy That worked in Brazil with TAM, who had an even lower allowance.

I may wear the photo vest just in case I need to take stuff out and stuff it in pockets. Believe me I'd be happy to just pay overweight charges but I don't think that's an option with carry-on. There is NO WAY I'd check this gear, especially in South Africa!

anyway still hoping perhaps someone who's traveled recently can give some first-hand reports.
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:36 PM

Hey, JC, you made me laugh! I used to do the old "it's not heavy" routine also! After my double hernia operation I bought the rolling bag.

From a logic standpoint, what's the difference if your photo bag requires an overweight fee but meets size limits for carry-ons? (I'm not asking you specifically, it's just a thinking-out-loud question.) It doesn't weigh any less in cargo than in the overhead and I bet it's no heavier than some of the small tanks some people wheel into the plane.
Old May 18th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Steve...beats me on the logic. You'd think they'd be glad to get the extra cash. But I've never heard of paying an overweight fee for carry on.
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I've paid the overweight fee for carry on at NBO. I think it was $65 or $70US. They wanted to charge me that much at Wilson but the guide got them to reduce it.

I also read on another forum that they are now weighing carry on luggage. THe airline was trying to make someone check theirs and they told them something like - your own website says not to put anything expensive in your luggage. What am I supposed to do? - and they let him carry it on.

I'm going in September and not looking forward to that part of it. Maybe I'll print out where it says not to put expensive stuff in your checked baggage and see if it helps.
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:01 PM

Steve, the weight restrictions are so some idiot doesn't try to lift a really heavy bag into the overhead compartment, struggle with the weight and drop it on some poor person's head. Which has happened to me … being hit on the head. My camera bag is always over weight but I try to lift it into the compartment before anyone is sitting underneath which means being super organised and rushing onto the plane first. Not a very relaxing start to a flight but what can you do??
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

I posted this query on FlyerTalk and someone there who is a frequent SAA flyer told me something distressing--that currently they are weighing ALL carry-on bags at JNB, no matter what airline you are flying on, and they are requiring the 8 kg SAA limit. Which makes no sense to me but that is what he insists.

I did realize I can have hubby carry a personal item (laptop bag), which he doesn't usually do, in addition to his primary pack. And I can carry a larger purse in which I can stick some lenses. I will do a dry run and see if I can get close to the 18 lbs.

I am also wondering whether a "tip" might help in this situation--or might I get arrested?
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:38 AM

<<And I can carry a larger purse in which I can stick some lenses.>>

This is exactly what I am planning to do! Take a decent size ladies purse and stick 2 bubble-wrapped DSLR and a bubble-wrapped wide angle in it. A bit sceptical of sticking it in a safari vest and then either run the risk of it being mis handled at security or having to repack everything in my photo bag after check-in

To think I was laughing at a photo of an ex-colleague's wife with a stylish ladies bag in the middle of Ngorongoro crater!
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

>To think I was laughing at a photo of an ex-colleague's wife with a stylish ladies bag in the middle of Ngorongoro crater!<<

yes, I may have to force that upon my spouse. But I think I can convince him its a "laptop" bag.
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:43 PM

Some airlines allow a carry-on and a "personal" bag. And I've seen some very large personal bags. Some airlines say they weigh both bags. Some Airlines allow only one bag no matter what you call it. Make sure you know what your airline allows and have a work around in case they stop you.

regards - tom
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 12:21 AM
Original Poster

Just an update--our carry-ons were not weighed on any of our four SAA flights this trip.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 06:50 AM

Thanks, jczinn -- have just been wondering about this.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 06:56 AM

Good to know. We leave in 29 days. Trying to only go with carry-on for 2 week trip. fingers crossed.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 07:55 AM

On SAA, the cheapest part to paid overweight fees was internal (and even though we were overweight, the agent let it slide). However, their restrictions between London and South Africa were much stricter and we paid almost GBP 300 in two-way overweight fees so be careful. Also, our restrictions were tighter on the internal flights than the international, so make sure you look at the lowest possible...
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 07:43 AM

We just returned from SA. We took SAA for two flights within the country and in both cases they asked us to check in our carry ons. We told them that the carry ons contained fragile items and cameras and we were advised NOT to check them in. In both cases, this explanation was adequate and we were allowed to bring the carry ons onto the plane. FYI, there was plenty of room on the plane for these items!
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 11:19 AM

Jeanne - were you asked to check them because they were overweight or oversize?

- Elaine
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 04:31 AM

jeanned - were you asked to check as you boarded the plane? Were the planes of the little one aisle, about 24 seats type? I have been asked to check carry-on at the bordering stair ramp of those and refuse to.

And FWIW, the one time I did check a duffel that had a small, cheap, camera in it the duffel arrived a day late and the camera was gone. This coming into JNB.

regards - tom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -