S Africa Safari

Old Jan 13th, 2020, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

S Africa Safari

Planning new trip to Capetown, Kruger, Botswana. Looking for advice as this will be our first trip there.
Would like to avoid crowds. How many days? When? Company? We know Audley, Tauck,
We are retired, healthy and have the time to enjoy the trip and have no budget constraints.
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 09:21 AM

You posted in the Caribbean Island forum.
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 12:21 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Africa board
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 01:08 PM

Cape Town gets crowded over the Christmas holidays, but other times I’ve been there (Apr & Oct) it was just fine. I don’t think you need to worry about crowds in Kruger or Botswana.You will need about 3 or 4 days for CT to see the Cape Peninsula, winelands, and city highlights. Sorry, I can’t help you with safaris.
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 02:55 PM

I would advise no fewer than four nights per lodge or camp. Three full days per area gives the best chance of seeing what is there.

Highly recommend The One and Only Hotel in Cape Town if cost is not an issue. Incredibly beautiful setting and the best service we have ever experienced.

We have enjoyed the &Beyond properties in SA and the Kwando camps in Botswana, but I know others who post here have favorites too.

You will have the trip of a lifetime!
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 05:47 PM

Additionally, we recommend Tanya Kotze at Africa Direct and Bill Given at The Wild Source. Both expert and reliable.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

We have been on several wine tours in France, Italy, Germany, Hungary. Napa and another one this year. We plan on skipping wine tours on this trip and concentrate on the animals. Current thoughts-2 nights in CT.
Rough itinerary:
Fly to Johannesburg ; hotel one night close to airport
Kruger-------3 nights
Livingstone-2 nights
Boatswana-9 nights
CT------------2 nights
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

[QUOTE=shouldbewriting;17045657]Additionally, we recommend Tanya Kotze at Africa Direct and Bill Given at The Wild Source. Both expert and reliable.
Thank You and will check out your recommendations and agree 3-4 nights at each camp. Still considering a minimal stay in CT.