S. Africa Honeymoon

May 13th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Andrea

S. Africa Honeymoon

Does anyone know of decent 2-3 day safari out of Johannesburg? We are thinking of doing the safari and heading to Cape Town for 5-6 days. With only 10 days to play with, does this sound like a good way to see South Africa?

May 13th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Steve

Andrea

I am off to SA in 2 weeks - While I was born there and I go back quite often, I have never done a Safari at the private camps (I usually go to Krueger). However, I am taking my wife there for the first time and we are going to Sabi Sabi's Earth Lodge for two nights. I will post a trip report on my return.

Cape Town is unbelievable and 5 days is perfect to see and do everything.

When are you planning on going??

May 14th, 2002, 10:07 AM
andrea

We are leaving the last week in August for 10-12 days. Thanks for the information and enjoy your trip!

May 14th, 2002, 12:54 PM
nikkit

We stayed at quite a few of the private reserves last year. Our favourite one which didn't cost the earth was garonga - very romantic and relaxed. You can read our write up on it at http://www.i-escape.com/garonga.php August is a good time for game viewing - prices are low and viewing good though watch out for cold nights.

May 15th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Patricia

You'll love Cape Town. Just came from there and less than 3 days was NOT enough time for us. Wish we'd arranged for more, but didn't think, as it was just a 3-day extension on our Kenyan safari. 5 days would give you a couple of days to see the city and you can take a tour to the wine country and a tour to the Cape of Good Hope. There are lots more tours available, according to what you want to see.

C.T. reminded me a little of San Francisco in a way. It's a beautiful city.

May 27th, 2002, 09:30 AM
tracy

Hi Andrea

I have just recently returned from SA my home coutnry, and as it happens my Uncle and cousin run a Safari company called Wild Sensations Tours and Safaris.

They run tours nearly every week in the Kruger and Mpumulanga, as well as Sun City and the Pilanesberg, and just to top it off they will also do your planning and booking of all your needs for Cape Town, my home town. Really not just because it is family, but they are a fantastic company and will give you the time of your life. YTou can contact them on [email protected]

All the best and if you have any further questions please contact me. Good luck

Tracy

May 27th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Rocco

Suggested Itenerary:
Day 1 - Overnight in Joburg (you'll probably get in late and at the prices that the game lodges charge you'll want to get in as early as possible to not miss a single game drive). Suggested Hotel, Rosebank Hotel, very nice and less than $100 USD per night.
Day 2 - Royal Malewane Game Reserve (I stayed at Singita but met others who were equally or more happy with the Royal Malewane at about $250 less per night).
Day 3 - Royal Malewane
Day 4 - Royal Malewane (I only stayed 2 nights at Singita but would have loved a 3rd night).
Day 5 - Royal Malewane-Joburg-Cape Town
(I stayed at the Table Bay Hotel for four nights and the Mount Nelson for three nights, but neither are cheap ($250? USD per night) and I don't know what your budget is).
You'll likely arrive after 6PM and will just want to have an easy night and rest up for the next day.
Day 6 - Cape Town. Like the others said, there is so much to see in Cape Town that less than a full week doesn't do it justice. You must devote a full day with an EARLY start to do an entire drive that takes you around the Cape and to Cape Point. There is so much to see that even on a 10 hour tour, we felt rushed.
Day 7 - Spend some time on the waterfront. You'll love just hanging out and doing some of the same things that you would do back home...only difference is that everything is 1/3 the price!!!
Day 8 - Cape Town at leisure
Day 9 - Cape Town at leisure
Day 10 - Cape Town at leisure
Day 11 and 12!!! - Return home...if you live on the West coast of the U.S., allow about 36 hours from the time you leave your hotel in Cape Town, to a transfer in Joburg, to possibly a refueling in Cape Verde Islands, to a stop in JFK or Atlanta and then home. Next time I go, hopefully next year to run the Two Oceans Ultramarathon in April, I plan on stopping in London or Amsterdam for about four nights on the way home just to avoid the hellish 30+ hour flight home (on the way home you are forced to stop in Joburg and are flying against the tradewinds and this adds about eight hours).
Whatever you choose to do, you will absolutely love South Africa. My wife and I (30 and 29 years old) cannot wait until we pay off our homes, save a little money to buy a home in South Africa and then move there, hopefully in 10-15 years with rental income coming in from the U.S., and possibly staying 7-8 months in South Africa with the remainder in our hometown, Los Angeles. Hopefully South Africa thrives enough to prevent it from becoming a Zimbabwe but not enough to make it much more expensive than it is now. Best of both worlds, I know, but we can dream!

May 28th, 2002, 01:48 PM
jackie

I just came back 2 days ago from 3 week honeymoon in South Africa. We did 3 camps (2 in s. africa, one in botswana) and loved them all. I loved Cape Town but think 3 nights is more than enough (the Cape Grace is fabulous). Make sure to go to the winelands. We stayed at a wonderful hotel, La Couronne in Franschoek for 1 night and wished we had 2 nights there. I highly recommend a minimum of 3 nights on safari. Singita was the best place I ever stayed (and as Director of Marketing for Amex Platinum Card travel, I travel alot) and Phinda is also fabulous. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] with any questions. It was an AMAZING Honeymoon.

Search this Thread