Search

Rorkes drift KZN SA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rorkes drift KZN SA

we (2 of us) are looking for an inexpensive place to stay near to either Rorke's Drift or isandalwana - want to see the battlefields and visit the museums for a day - so one night. Any ideas please? thanks
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 04:26 PM

Margie_c,

I can recommend the Royal Country Inn in Dundee, http://www.royalcountryinn.com/ The rates are about $100 AUD per night B&B for a double. This is a three star place with good food, friendly staff and very welcoming hosts. The rooms were very large with high pressed metal ceilings. This property had not been restored to death and the improvements were sympathetic to the original style. There is a pleasant shady courtyard garden between the rooms and the bar/restaurant.

I stayed here in 2004 so its a while ago and I remember the hotel as very atmospheric with lots of Victoriana memorabilia, together with some souvenirs from the making of <i>Zulu</i>. Actually, I wouldn't have been at all surprised to see Michael Caine striding through...

The hotel can arrange an accredited battlefields guide.

Happy planning,

Pol
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 09:11 PM

Penny farthing country house get excellent reviews and the owner is an accredited battlefields expert. http://www.pennyf.co.za/
www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:49 AM

I have not stayed in the area, but here is a recommendation from the Greenwood Guides, which I have found to be very reliable:

http://www.greenwoodguides.com/south....aspx?page=248
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 07:41 PM

We stayed at Pennyfarthing Country House in July 2007 and found it to be a lovely home with a gracious house manager and delicious meals. Foy, the owner and guide, certainly knows his stuff and the house is full of books and documentary films about the various battles fought in the area, not just Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana. You'll have plenty to read and watch to get ready for your tour!