Is mid-April good time to go to Cape Town

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to go to Cape Town for 2 weeks in mid-April next year. Will the weather be OK.

Any recommendations on the nearby Safari and attractions
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 02:27 AM

Hello,

I haven't been there at this time of year myself, but according to a friend who went to medical school there the weather is great in April -- it's the Southern Hemisphere autumn so the days are sunny but without being unbearably hot, and the winelands are particularly picturesque. If I go back to Cape Town, I plan on an April trip.

I visited Cape Town in August 2004. Your choice of activities really depends on what you're interested in (wildlife, culture, the great outdoors). I really enjoyed the following:

Robben Island
District Six Museum
Table Mountain
Browsing the used bookstores on Long Street
Tea at the Mount Nelson Hotel
Gold of Africa Museum
Visiting the Monkeybiz craft workshop
Greenmarket Square
V&A Craft Market

I'd also highly recommend spending some time in the Winelands -- the wine is great and the food is awesome.

Selwyn Davidovitch (I may have misspelled the last name), a local guide who posts on this forum, is a great resource -- if you search for posts using name you will find some very useful information.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 02:29 AM

I did misspell the last name -- it's Selwyn Davidowitch.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 05:02 AM

Er, you're right, you have misspelled Selwyn's surname Julian. Still. It's Davidowitz.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 01:30 PM

wftraveler,

I agree with Jasher completely - Mid April is a great time to visit Cape Town. As a matter of fact I personally think it is the very best time to visit our city. The reason as to why I say this is:

1. The weather is absolutely perfect. Blue skies, mild weather with great sunsets.

2. Most of the bulk of the Summer visitors will have left the city making it more pleasurable in terms of bookings be it for restaurants, accommodations or sight-seeing attactions etc.

3. As you will be approaching the cross over in seasons you should be able to negotiate better deals at places like accommodation establishments.

Please be aware there is no real place of repute that offers a safari experience that would be classified as being near to Cape Town.

Overall my advice is DEFINITELY come to Cape Town from mid April till mid May as you will be overjoyed with your choice of timeframe due to what our great city can offer you during this period.

Enjoy Cape Town when you visit us.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 11:46 AM

We have been to the Western Cape in mid April 2004 and have had lots of rain during our first week, that we spent in Stellenbosch. Second week (Garden Route & CPT) the weather was gorgeous with the blue skies and great sunsets described by Selwyn.