Riad cancellation policy?

Sep 24th, 2018, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Riad cancellation policy?

Is it common to pay for riad stay in advance?

The reason I ask is that while booking a riad I got a price, then asked what their cancellation policy was. The reply was a little frosty, and of course there was a higher daily rate for the cancellation option. No problem.

However, the actual policy turned out to be no charge for cancellation up to 2 weeks before arrival, then we would have to pay the entire 3 night stay in advance. And we would be sent an "international money transfer" link to pay. That just seems odd to me based on what I've read here, and my experience dealing with the other riads.

Any thoughts?

TIA - R.
Sep 24th, 2018, 11:28 AM

It doesnít sound odd to me, but then you have to expect that all small businesses set their own requirements. You donít say where the riad is and if itís in a city if youíre not comfortable with the terms there will be plenty to choose from, just one element to consider when making a choice. If itís in a place with less availability then you may have to live with it. Most businesses donít have policies that discourage healthy numbers of bookings.

I so rarely change bookings Iíve made in advance that though I like the peace of mind of being able to cancel, I almost never do. So if it sounded good to me otherwise Iíd have no qualms. But if you like freedom to cancel and do so fairly regularly, find another place. I very occasionally ďeatĒ a prepaid booking if itís worth it to me. Itís all a balance, all up to you.

Last edited by MmePerdu; Sep 24th, 2018 at 11:51 AM.
Oct 7th, 2018, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, MmePerdu - I have gone with flexible where I can get it, and pay-in-advance where I can't. We have never cancelled a hotel that I can recall, I just like flexibility. But as you say, we can always "eat" a booking, and I'm not going to miss out on a great place to stay just for flexibility. Somehow that actually cancels out the overall flexibility.

- R.

Search this Thread