Restaurant recs in CT & Jo'burg Please

Mar 17th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Taylor Winston

Restaurant recs in CT & Jo'burg Please

We are travelling to Cape Town and Jo'burg in June and are looking for some restaurant recommendations. Has anyone been to The Green Dolphin in CT? How about Linger Longer in Jo'burg? We are staying on the waterfront in CT and would like to experience some good seafood and african dishes. We'll have an opportunity for 1 lunch and 2 dinners in CT. In Jo'burg, we are staying at the Westcliff and won't have a car. We will be able to have one dinner in Jo'burg and I'd like recommendations for an up-scale or noteworthy restaurant. Thanks.

Mar 17th, 2002, 10:29 AM
james

For seafood in CT, go to Panama Jacks in the docks - fabulous choice if a little pricey. For a flash Californian style place, try Blues in Camps Bay - I had the seafood platter a few weeks ago, and it really was one of the most delicious I've ever had.

Other restaurants worthy of note are Savoy Cabbage and Five Flies in town.

Mar 18th, 2002, 03:53 AM
Lisa

A while back, "Local" in Sa recommended "Carnivore" restaurant which is a bit further out than Westcliff. I'll try to bring that thread back up to the top. It sounded like a lot of fun and when we take a group of friends to SA in August, we will give it a try.

Mar 18th, 2002, 03:58 AM
Lisa

Taylor, the "carnivore" restaurant recommendation is in the thread entitled "South Africa (Johannesburg) with kids"

Mar 18th, 2002, 11:17 AM
pam

Taylor,

I posted these recommendations on an earlier post:

Restaurants in Cape Town:

DO NOT go to Vilamoura in Camp Bay. Everyone recommended it when we arrived in Cape Town. It was the only meal that we did not enjoy in SA. (It was also the most expensive!) Our red wine was HOT, our fish overcooked, and my oysters….it was awful.

DO try the following if possible:

Constantia Uitsig-In the Constantia wine lands
Buitenverwachting- Also in the Constantia wine lands. (Great for a lunch venue)
Panama Jacks- A local eatery highly recommended by all of our drivers.

We also arranged a private dinner, mentioned above, through the Cape Grace. We really were not certain what to expect, but it turned out to be a wonderful treat! We arrived at a private home overlooking Camps Bay and the Twelve Apostles in the background at sunset. 10 additional party guests arrived, all local South Africans. We shared drinks, a wonderful 12 course meal, and intriguing conversations. The dinner is only available through the Cape Grace, and I highly recommend it.

Mar 18th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Taylor

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have taken notes of the names.

Mar 20th, 2002, 05:18 AM
chris

I recommend the restaurant in the Cape Grace Hotel, Capetown waterfront. I ate there last year and it was very good with lovely views of Table Mountain. Fantastic Ostrich and lamb dishes.You usually can't go wrong eating in such excellent hotels.

Mar 20th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Penelope

Linger Longer, both the main restaurant and the adjacent bistro, is excellent. It is difficult to locate, so get clear directions for your taxi driver before you head there. Be sure to make a reservation for the main dining room well in advance, even by calling from the U.S., but get the name of the person with whom you speak and take it with you, in case, somehow, there is an oversight of your booking. P

Mar 20th, 2002, 10:03 AM
james

Penelope - where is Linger Longer - I've not heard of it.

I kind of disagree with Chris about the CG. The views are good, and the food ok but not great. The service is very hit and miss and there is so little atmosphere - due mainly I think to the stuck-up tourists who stay there! (IMHO obviously!)

Pam is absolutely right about Vilamoura. I had lunch a few weeks ago next door at Blues which was completely packed (always a good sign). Vilamoura didn't have a single soul dining! It also got blown-up by a terrorist bomb a while ago....

Constantia Uitsig is brilliant - a wonderful lunch-time venue to linger over the fantastic cooking of Frank Swainston. Pricey by local standards as this is considered one of Sa's best restaurants, but for tourists a bargain - about $25 a head inclusive of wine.

Mar 21st, 2002, 12:50 PM
Penelope

Linger Longer is in the Johannesburg suburb of Sandton. There are nice accommodations in that area, as well. P

Mar 22nd, 2002, 08:52 AM
Patricia

James - You mentioned Constantia Uitsig. Was $25 w/wine for lunch or dinner?

Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:01 AM
james

Patricia - either. You might spend a little more at dinner, but it's still relatively cheap by European/US standards. I prefer lunch there - a stroll round the adjoining cricket pitch after is all rather pleasant.....

Mar 26th, 2002, 12:12 AM
Pam

We just returned from South Africa on Sunday, with four days being spent in Cape Town. I did not have one bad meal the entire time. Of course, some were better than others, but overall the food is superb. We loved the Indian food at Bukhara's, and you even can have it delived to your hotel via a delivery service! (Bukhara's, 33 Church Street, 424 0000, reservations essential) La Perla is an Italian restaurant where we had a lovely meal. (Sorry someone else made the reservations, so I don't have that information.) We enjoyed the Thai food at Wang Thai in Seapoint, on Main Street. We had one breakfast at the Cape Grace and it was very nice, although quite pricey. The only thing I truly did not like was the S.African interpretation of Cappuccino. Very unlike what you get in Italy and America---too strong, bitter, even when I asked for a weak one.

Unless you have an enormous appetite, we found it hard to spend over $25.00 per person, and often much less, with all courses and plenty of wine. I can't wait to go back.

Mar 27th, 2002, 03:38 AM
traci

Well it seems you are taken care of in Cape Town, but not so many suggestions for Jo'burg. As you won't have a car getting around Jhb might be troublesome but as you are staying at the Westcliff you will not need to venture further than your hotel for sumptious dining. The restuarant at this hotel is lovely and it boasts possibly the most spectacular view in Johannesbrug. It is situated on the Westcliff ridge and you will be able to see north for kilometres. At night the lights of the northern suburbs make for a fairytale sight. If you really want to get out and about though, Linger Longer (that's in Sandton a suburb of Johannesburg!) serves traditional South African fare like bobotie - a curry with a baked custard type topping. Does not sound so great but tastes wonderful! Any Afrikaans family worth it's salt has a family recipe going back a few generations. Carnivore (as the name suggests) is strictly for meat-eaters and to my understanding is also quite a ways out of the city. If you're really not fussed about local fare get The Westcliff to assist with a booking and arrangements to Moyo in Norwood. It has a wonderful menu of North, East and West African food - with a few local delicacies thrown in. And if all that does not interest you and you don't make it to the outlet in Cape Town - the original branch of Wang Thai is in Sandton Square. FYI - The Green Dolphin is great for Jazz but I did not find the food that amazing. You might be better served to eat somewhere else and then go there to sit in the bar with a drink.

Search this Thread