Recommendation for hotel in Aswan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm seeking for a reasonably priced and decent hotel in Aswan (Movenpick, Cataract are well beyond my budget), for 1 night before my trip to Abu Simbel. Will head back to Cairo after the visit. (btw, I'm not joining a cruise either)

Appreciate your advice, thanks!
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 08:05 AM

Don't know the price, but the Isis Island Pyramisas was nice -- the room was plain but with a nice bathroom, the lobby expansive and attractive, and the grounds and pool very nice and attractive. The view from our room was fabulous.
Old Sep 18th, 2010, 05:03 AM

http://www.basmahotel.com/

My choie for something decent, but not over the top is the Basma.

If you need cheap there is one called The Cleopatra. It has a pool on the roof and is probably OK. Not one I like a lot, but Aswan is really lacking decent hotels to the best of my knowledge.

Wish I had the time to get down there again sometime when the weather isn't over 120 degrees in the shade!
Old Sep 18th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sf7307 and Casual_Cairo.

I checked Basma hotel for the date, but they're not available.
Isis Island Pyramisa has a good rate, but I'm concerned about catching an early morning flight (5:55am) for Abu Simbel since it is on an island
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 04:37 PM

kakijalan, Are you travelling soon? I also checked the Basma for my required date (November 28th)on return from Abu Simbel, but it was not available. I looked at a B&B (Bet el Kerem) on the other side of Nile but not sure. Let me know what you decide on hotel in Aswan.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 10:35 PM

Just checking - are you using some application the Basma site has on it for checking availability? If so, don't stop there, contact their email address and be sure. I find those apps don't work very well here in Egypt, and often say they are booked when they aren't. I'm not saying that is the case for certain with the Basma, but it might be.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

I'm going to try Memnon hotel, which is more basic. But since I'm splurging on a hot air balloon ride in Luxor, I need to save some money. Just need it to sleep and shower before boarding flight to Abu Simbel anyway.
Prefer to be on "this" side of Nile because of the early flight.

Thanks Casual_Cairo. Will try checking via email with Basma and see if their rates are within my budget.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 08:16 PM

kakijalan

I have stayed at the Basma and it really is a nice little hotel. I had a friend staying while we were there one time and her and her husband stayed at the Marhaban (dont know if that is the right spelling). It was cheap and cheerful and looked ok when we went to meet them (its on the corniche). They showed us the room and it was clean but basic and had a view of the little park in front and then just ahead of that was the Nile. You could try it if you want and see, I think they are 3 stars. But out of both I would opt for the Basma if your budget allows.

oh and the Marhaban had a lovely roof terrace where you could sit and look out at the nile. But as Casual Cairo says it is hot hot hot in Aswan.

Scotsgirl