recommendation for best Tilly hat?

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recommendation for best Tilly hat?

Hello, everyone:

It seems that there are a few choices out there, and I am wondering which of them would be the best. Any suggestions or favorites?
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:45 AM

Hi Crystalsong,

Personally I like the lightweight ones with mesh in them so they breathe a bit better and you can get a little breeze on your head when the wind is blowing. I have the LTM5.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:50 AM

Usually spelled "TillEy" if that genuine Canadian design is what you are after.
http://www.tilley.com/
regards - tom
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Oops, Tom, you got me! My screen-reading program says "Tilly", so I never realized there was an extra "E" in there! Thanks for the heads-up. (Actually, you ought to hear how some of the words are pronounced by my screen-reader!) It would really make you laugh!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 02:52 PM

Our wonderful guide at Old Mondoro, Roelof wore a hat he called the Rogue, styled similar to the TillEy, with mesh for ventilation, but even nicer, IMO. He said it is made in SA, but I have been unable to find any reference to it on the net. He also wore lightweight, but rugged, gaiters for game walking through brush, also made by Rogue. Would love to find a source for both.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 03:20 PM

Hi Jim,

Visit this website and scroll down to the Rs -- there are a number of hats made by Rogue. Any chance it was one of these? The breezy hats look nice.

http://www.classic-caps.co.uk/cgi-bi...AT#a2_21449HAT

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 03:22 PM

Sorry...here's the TinyURL version. I wish there was an editing function on this site!

http://tinyurl.com/23aaz5

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Ther are two colors of the Tilley LTm3 and LTM5, khaki and natural. ?Th natural color is a bit lighter, or so I'm told, but is it still an okay color for safari, or is it too bright/light, and therefore distracting while game-viewing? Thank you.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 04:12 PM

I have a Tilley with the mesh around the top. It's very light weight and in a pale green with a darker green under the brim. It served me well on safari and on many canoe trips in British Columbia.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 12:13 AM

Yes, Julian, yes that is the hat. You outdid Google, at least my abilities to navigate it. Just as you described. Very cool, IMO. Here's a pic of Roelof and me (if there's anyone is confused as to who is who, he's the handsome dude on the right).

http://picasaweb.google.com/steeliej...earingRogueHat

Speaking of cool, so is your new website. Thanks for featuring the good work that scaleafrica is doing to help Chiutika School in Zambia. Visiting it was one of the highlights of our trip, although it was a sobering experience seeing how they manage with so many challenges (sorry for the diversion).

Jim
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 01:21 AM

Hi Crystalsong,

I have the khaki colour, which I liked because it seemed less likely to show dirt.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your comments on the website -- we're glad to be able to support SCALEAfrica. Glad I found your hat! Are you going to buy one?

Cheers,
Julian
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:59 AM

Hi Julian,

You opened the flood gates for me. The link you provided me is a lot of fun--every hat under the sun, from Sherlock Holmes to hunt styles.

I was hoping to find a source in the US however, so, armed with the proper name, Rogue Breezy, I did another Google search and came up with the one location in the US that sells them.

http://www.africantradingco.com/leather-hats.html.

Just got off the phone with Simon, who with his wife, Wendy, run the site, and two suede Breezy's will soon be on their way. (they have canvas, and oiled leather versions as well) Simon is South African, and also is a distributor of South African wines. So, now I have a source for the ultimate IMO safari hat (sorry Tilley lovers) and another source for wine (one can't have too many, can one?) So, thanks, once again, Julian,

Sorry to others for my diversion.

Jim
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 05:02 PM

Hi Jim,

Glad you found a US source for the hats. I have to admit that as much as I love my Tilley I like the look of the oiled leather breezy hat and may give it a go at some point.

Cheers,
Julian