recommend a camera case / backpack

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gotten a lot of great advice on cameras and lenses, but now I'm on to the accessories in figuring out the total budget.

I will likely have a canon XTi and 2 lenses (18-55IS and 75-300, I think)along with batteries, memory cards, filters and maybe a portable storage device.

Is it possible to find some sort of secured backpack that has functionality as a camera case? I'm thinking for travel purposes this would be best - my fiance is handicapped so it's often easier for me to have a backpack so i can be handsfree and I've not traveled with this much camera gear before. I'd like something that is less conspicous then a camera case with room for a book, ipod, travel docs and a few little things.

any suggestions - or if something like this doesn't exist, recommendations on normal camera bags would be welcome.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 09:36 AM

I really like my Lowepro Slingshot 100
http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-SlingS.../dp/B000BAX50G
I found it very comfortable and the all weather cover which pulls out of the bottom was great in the rain.

For what you want to carry, you might consider the 200 or 300 versions which are larger.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 09:55 AM

I have the Lowepro slingshot 200 and love it. Its still very small but very handy and fits my camera Canon 40d and 3 extra lenses plus some small stuff.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 12:51 PM

Crumpler makes some nice bags that are generally more secure than others. Their backpacks open from the back rather than the front, which makes them harder to get into (for thieves). Check their website, and you'll see what I mean.

With just one body and couple of lenses, you could just get by with padded cases for the camera gear and stuff all of that into a regular daypack. Say, get a holster type case for the body with lens attached, and then another padded case for the other lens. Lowepro and other companies make padded cases.

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Canon also makes a nice camera bag / backpack. It has lots of room for your gear and "day bag" spaces, as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Backpack.../dp/B00009R6TA
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 04:07 AM
pippa13

tamrack - cyberpack 9

is a backpack which we use. even during game drives it grants protection against dust. it's handy also for game drives.
a big plastic back for protection agaimnst downpour during game drives has to be considred because it does lack a retractable water protection.