Search

Rameses Hilton

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rameses Hilton

Was in Egypt 3 years ago, stayed at the Mena House--great hotel! Has anyone stayed at the Rameses Hilton downtown? Can you give me any hints as to what to expect and what to do, not to do, room preferences etc etc. We are booked here this time. is it far from Egyptian Museum? Thanks!
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 11:31 AM

Ask for a Nile View Room

and

No it is not far from the Cairo Egyptian Museum...you can walk there for sure

Percy
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 12:30 PM

I have been very happy with this hotel on my frequent business trips to Cairo. Ramses Hilton is by the Nile river, tall triangular hotel 36 floors high. 26th and 27th Floors are executive floors. Egyptian Museum is walking distance just 200m away, just across and under the big flyover beside the hotel. Say hi to Ahmed al Nahas the GM if he is still their and check out the bar on the rooftop at night, great view!

Mohammed
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 02:10 PM

I don't have such good things to say about this place. My room overlooked Ramses station, so you couldn't open your sliding door b/c of too much noise & pollution.

Their downstairs bar/restaurant was filled with hookers when we went there for a late night (midnight or 1 am) dinner.

And finally I'd been there two days when they kicked me out b/c they had overbooked the hotel. (It had nothing to do with my behavior, really!)
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 11:13 PM

I am more on the side of the fence with Sunshine. The hotel, in the past has catered to badly behaved Gulf Arabs (the reason the hookers would be there) and can be a nightmare in the summer months.

Mohamed says you can walk to the Museum, and that is true. I can walk to the museum, but it's taken me 10 years to work out the street crossing and get the guts to walk to the museum from the Ramses Hilton. The Ramses Hilton in pretty much on a little island in the middle of some of the busiest streets in Cairo. It's not that easy to cross the streets except on Friday morning when everyone is still asleep.

If you can change your reservations to the Nile Hilton, you will be in a better location for the Museum.

Having said all that, I understand they just got a new manager that is supposed to be very good (according to the Assist Mgr) and maybe the clientele issues will get taken care of.