Question on safety update in Egypt

Jan 10th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Question on safety update in Egypt

Hello,
We are thinking of traveling to Egypt in March '05 to visit the pyramids and temples. It is a dream vacation for me and my husband, but our only concern is safety. I have read the previous postings regarding safety from last year (which most indicated safety is not as much of a factor as is made out to be in the press) and wanted to see if anyone has been there recently (last six months or so)and could provide an update on safety for American tourists in Egypt? The lonely planet website warned to "avoid large resorts and major hotels". Is it dangerous to stay at Hyatt, Sheraton etc hotels in Cairo? Many thanks!
Jan 10th, 2005, 10:38 AM

It is believed that the bombings in the western Sinai were aimed at Israeli citizens who were taking advantage of an Israeli holiday to travel to these hotels. Morally speaking, they were unconscionable.

Pratically speaking, they have no relation to your trip to see pyramids and temples. Egypt takes its tourist industry seriously and has instituted a large number of preventative measures to insure that you will be safe.

You should be safe at large hotels in Cairo. Probably safer than in London and NYCity. Definitely safer than the beaches in southern Thailand the day after Christmas.

Enjoy your trip!
Jan 10th, 2005, 01:56 PM

I was just in Egypt (Cairo to Abu Simbel to Sharm) in November and felt totally safe the entire time I was there. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] with any questions.
Jan 26th, 2005, 01:59 PM

I was just there in November as well. When asked where we were from, the replys were always "Welcome" - made my hesitation saying "America" go away. The only even slightest mention of world evens was that from our fabulous guide, and he just wanted to explain what Jihad meant,(a few nutballs have made the word Jihad bad) and said Egyptians were very pleased Sadaam was out of power, but the timing was wrong - should have happened 10 years ago. Had no argument from me there.
I would not hesitate to go. I chose not to tell very many people prior to our trip, just because I didn't want people who really didn't know to make me 2nd guess our decision. It worked out just fine - Its as safe (or safer) as anywhere in the US to travel. There are assorted nut cases everywhere.
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:28 PM

NinaJay,
We are going in March also! What dates will you be there? We are going on our own - no tour group.

Email me: [email protected]

Search this Thread