Question for Kavey about camp choice

Mar 12th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Question for Kavey about camp choice

hi kavey,
i read on one of your posts that you chose savuti camp over duma tau for your upcoming trip. i am planning a trip in june 05 and am having the same battle. i've heard great things about both so i was curious what your deciding thoughts were.

thx big country
Mar 12th, 2004, 11:32 AM

Hi Big

I had ruled Kings Pool out - I haven't heard any strongly negative reports but do vaguely recall reading more than one report that, whilst the camp and setting are very pretty, the experience over all was not as memorable or unique as that at Savuti or Duma Tau.

I can no longer recall why I discarded Linyanti.

Between Savuti and Duma Tau?

Well, one of my deciding factors was camp size. Whilst there may seem to be very little difference between 5 tents and 8 tents we have a strong preference for smaller, more intimate places.

Another deciding factor was the input of a number of experienced travellers including travel agents, a Bots guide book author and posters right here on Fodors. All expressed their adoration of the Savuti Camp experience.

I was drawn to the idea of a dry river bed channel and noticed the reference to both hippo and elephants as well as other animals that we are keen to see.

I liked the look of the raised tents, with their wonderful views.

I wanted to spend some time in the hides at Savuti which reputedly offer wonderful close up viewing opportunities, particularly of elephants.

At the end of the day though, I was confident that, whichever of the two camps I picked, we'd have a wonderful experience.

Likewise, when I picked between Jacana and Xigera (went for Jacana) I felt confident that both would offer a marvellous base for water activities.

Hope this helps,
Kavey
Mar 12th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

great thanks kavey. i am leaning toward savuti camp myself. i know that both areas are great for spotting wild dogs so unless the dogs arent in teh savuti area and are in the duma tau around the time i am going i will book savuti. reading the memoirs of dereck and beverly joubert have gotten me too interested in the area. cant wait to hear your report from there.
Mar 12th, 2004, 01:21 PM

When are you thinking of visiting?
Mar 12th, 2004, 01:25 PM

PS I know Thit_Cho spotted wild dogs in Chitabe in 2001 though we were there only two or three months before him and happened not to.

We did spot a very small pack (of 3) duriung our time at Mombo that same year and were able to spend some time with them both when they were at rest and also on the move.

Search this Thread