Question for Egypt experts

May 12th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Question for Egypt experts

Hello,

Here's the thing... I can get a flight to Cairo using FF miles... I can also get to stay for free at any Cairo Sheraton...

So, I'm trying to find a decent, reliable website / travel agent where I can get the flights between Cairo and Luxor/Aswan, and a cruise. For what I've read, the Oberoi Philae seems to be really good...

Any pointers?

Thanks a lot!
May 13th, 2005, 04:10 AM
sandi

Contact Egypt Highlights, an in-country tour operator. Believe the website is:

www.egypthighlights.com

Many on this board have used them and been pleased with their services.

May 13th, 2005, 02:31 PM

We got the photos too and have not even taken our trip.. such a divine couple.. they look so happy and lovely. Seriously, Miss Walaa, is one of the TOP TOP Reps I've ever booked with, she is responsive within 12 hours to any weird thing I ask. I've been Tivo'ing every little Egypt thing on TV and am now counting the days!!!!
May 13th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info!

I looked at that website and looks very nice and comprehensive!

Looking at my alternatives, I found another website... maybe one of you has seen it or used it... it is called www.egypthotdeals.com

Any good/bad experiences with this website?

Thanks again!
May 14th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Just checked... the agency's name is "Sunny Land Tours"... They offer a package for 1999.99 per person, including airfare from NY, cruise, transfers in Egypt, all entrance fees and the always optional trip to Abu Simbel...
May 15th, 2005, 06:51 AM

Dear Jean, that sounds like a pretty good deal, just make sure you find out in advance, as I am sure you know. How many people are on one of their tours, what hotels you will stay at, and what are additional fees. Let us know what you find out, and happy travels.
May 20th, 2005, 12:11 AM

www.travelocity.com is one of the few on line companies you can book Egypt Air with. Give them a go and see what they do for you.

As for cruises, there are so many to choose from. If you want deluxe, go for the one Oberoi Philae, or try www.sonesta.com. They are all nice boats and I think you can book your cruise on line.
May 20th, 2005, 06:00 AM

Hi folks, sorry I don't have anything to add just another question--I've been trying to get on the Egypt Hightlights web site and all I get is a nice little page with no contact or tour info--what am I going wrong??
May 20th, 2005, 06:24 AM
sandi

dreamseeker -

There's a link to "contact" along the top of the website (www.egypthighlighs.com). Click on this and you'll find the web link, and an email link... click on the latter to send a request for information.

May 20th, 2005, 06:25 AM

I am also planning on booking my tour through Egypt Highlights. We are going in Dec 2005.

Here is the link for their contact page:

http://www.egypthighlights.com/contact.asp
May 20th, 2005, 04:03 PM

Thanks anitas, that helped alot
May 21st, 2005, 09:53 AM

dreamseeker

Your welcome. When are you planning on going to Egypt. We are also using FF.

May 23rd, 2005, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies.

I emailed Egypt Highlights and told them what I was looking for, and they replied with a tailor made package for a very decent price.

Thanks again!
May 23rd, 2005, 01:49 PM

We are hoping to go in January but I'm trying to mix this up with a safari in Tanzania-a little complicated and alot expensive. I wish I had FF, we just pay and pay and pay! I received a reply from Walaa today with a tour that sounds pretty good. Here's a question--can anyone tell me about the train Cairo/Luxor/Cairo? Can you actually sleep on this thing or is it a slow moving "airplane seat"?
May 23rd, 2005, 03:27 PM

Dear Dreamseeker,
Walaa at Egypthighlights sent me an extremely helpful info pack that has a description of the "sitting" train... after reading it, we opted to upgrade to a sleeper .
" You have 1st class seats on the overnight seated train. You have the most luxurious type of seats available on the train. Seats are "Pullman" style that recline and are quite spacious with plenty of legroom. Seats spin around so that you can face each other. Lock them in or you may spin around all night! Take snacks with you the food on the train is quite ordinary. Water and toilet paper are also needed. Eye patches and earplugs are useful as the lights stay on all night and blaring Arabic movies are sometimes played throughout the journey, (This is truly a bonus). Don't be surprised if a man wanders up and down the aisle yelling "shay shay shay" at 3 AM, He is selling tea, and you may want some. "
There is a lot more delightful information about not getting off the train, and protocol for porters and the like, but I think the above gives you a pretty good sense of the thing. If you want to REALLY experience Egypt then the seated train is for you.. if you want to sleep, then perhaps you might upgrade to a sleeper!
May 23rd, 2005, 06:34 PM

We are going to fly to Luxor instead of taking the train. I hear the bathrooms are pretty bad.
May 23rd, 2005, 07:09 PM

Oh Dear, another decision to make!! Thanks for the info.
May 24th, 2005, 01:13 AM

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the overnight sleeper service from Cairo to Luxor or Aswan. It's the ONLY way to go up the Nile Valley. Flying is so silly for this route

See http://www.seat61.com/Egypt.htm for details
May 24th, 2005, 04:14 AM

Alanrow,

Why is it silly? You get there faster.
May 24th, 2005, 05:41 AM
sandi

Some people like train travel, others prefer flying. Granted, if flying, in order to make the flight from Cairo to Luxor or Aswan, you have to get up in the middle of the night and the airport can be quite hectic - but I'd do the flight.

Even with the very early wake-up call, we, at least, slept fully reclined in comfortable beds, had breakfast brought to our room. We were out of the hotel at about 5am - no traffic whatsoever - took only 30 minutes and we were coming from Giza. Yes, the airport it crazy and those arriving with a tour operator or some Egyptian rep get faster service - those traveling independently, were having a bit of trouble getting any attention, but they did eventually.

The waiting room had lots of tour groups and hearing the flight announcements was difficult, but we boarded on time for our flight to Abu Simbel via Aswan. We departed on time at 7:00am and because all on-board were going to Abu Simbel, we never stopped in Aswan - arriving in 1-1/2 hrs at our destination. We transferred to buses to the site, found an English speaking guide and spent the next 2-hrs here. Abu Simbel is a "must see."

We then took the bus back to the airport and onto our flight. It was actually the same plane and flight crew we came in on. In less than an hour we deplaned at Aswan, were met by our rep and driven to our Nile cruise boat. We checked in, had our lunch, had time to unpack and relax before our afternoon activities.

Granted there have been some posts here on Fodor's of delayed flights, strange schedules, not having any direction on which bus to board at Abu Simbel... this may be the norm, maybe not, but we didn't experience any such.

Personally, I would have been a crazy person trying to sleep on a train, having lights and possibly music through the night.

At least there is a choice. Go with which mode suits you and fits your budget - leave any atttude at home; bring only your patience and sense of humor. You'll enjoy all of Egypt so much more.

Search this Thread