Problems with CC Africa

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with CC Africa

We're trying to book a safari using CC Africa and we're having a very difficult time. Their initial proposal was panned by the experts on this group and so we submitted an itinerary based on fodorite recommendations. After a couple of weeks, and several e-mails, they sent back a new proposal which we found acceptable with the addition of a night in Nairobi at the front end. Again there was a delay of a week to add a night which they didn't even reserve yet since this is a third party service.

I've told them I want to confirm the reservation and make a deposit but they won't give me the info to make a wire transfer. Instead they're asking me to be "patient." I contacted Giraffe Manor, one of our destinations, and they don't have a reservation for us. I can't believe that such a highly rated company is so unresponsive to prospective clients.

Does anybody have any suggestions how I can resolve this problem? (At one point I asked the person handling our reservation to please turn it over to someone who had the time to handle it, but was refused.) We want to go to Africa this September!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 09:28 PM

Marija,

There is no pricing advantage to booking with CCAfrica direct rather than a tour operator authorized to sell CCAfrica. As a matter of fact, you may very well find pricing better through a tour operator, and you may find the service more to your liking, as well.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 09:48 PM
santharamhari

Marija,

I am surprised that a CCAfrica rep would be so unprofessional with that kind of an attitude.

I am travelling to Phinda in August and have found my particular CCA rep, completely professional. In fact, i asked them several questions about Phinda (info that isnt on their website) and she went thru the effort to revert with details.

Hari

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 12:22 AM

Sorry to hear of your issues Marija, but I also had issue with quotation firming up with CCA. I'd worked with an agent in Johannesburg for quotes and he was very responsive and provided good advice. He was flexible in updating itinerary based on inputs/feedback I was getting on the board here. However, when it went for "quotation" to a different group at CCA the previously agreed itinerary was adjusted (order of parks/camps changed, etc) without anyone notifying or trying to reach me to validate if it would still be acceptable. Think there is a policy there for only one free quote and changes after that could be billed to the customer. It's been a while and may have confused this stipulation from another operator. Ultimately it was priced 50% higher than my comfort zone, with more days than originally planned. The higher costs were likely impacted by it being a flying (not overland) safari + added nights that had been tacked on. When I went back explaining my surprise and asking for an update, I never heard back again. By then, was seriously looking for alternative (cost was too high) and zeroed in on ATR due to the service responsiveness and consistency.

It's fair to be concerned that you do not have a "hold" on spots where you thought they'd already placed holds. Being patient is true, since it took ~ 2 weeks for all camps on my route to be fully confirmed from hold state. ATR did advise though that they have someone who goes camp to camp to get written confirmations. Made me feel more confident in the reservation, but a little stressful since I wanted to confirm and move to the next planning steps.

Have you called them on the phone to make it a more "Personable" contact. Sometimes that helps too, but it may incur long distance charges. They do have a US telephone number as well as Africa (Johannesburg I believe).

Do yourself a favor and get a back-up quote from another operator. You may find you want to change in the end anyway. Take care of yourself.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. What operators do you suggest for backup quotes?
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 07:02 AM

I have been happy and did choose Africa Travel Resource. If you do a search on them, you will find other feedback (some mixed - e.g. Rocco's vehicle when he used ATR). For me, they have been dependable for me and met all my changes and questions very professionally and personably. They were also a good value overall.

There are others I've seen discussed for Tanzania and don't have list ready at hand, but heard others mention Roy's (think they are africa based). Patty - do you have it?

Ker and Downey and AAC are options, but were less responsive. Hopefully Patty or atravelynn will see this and chime in too.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 07:10 AM

Marija, try to send them a follow up email to find out what is happening. You can also enquire the same from other Tour operators to avoid last minute dissapointments.

Good luck
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 10:09 AM

good luck
do you live in the usa?
if so, you can phone their usa office toll free. 888 882-3742. extremely nice people there and you can charge your trip to amex and avoid all that silly xeroxing of credit cards.

i am no expert- but from my experience they are good at telling you availability of their lodges but they are not full-service africa experts when it comes to other properties and transit.

kerikeri
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 10:19 AM

Sorry you're having trouble with CCA. You may want to look through the East Africa index thread and see what tour operators in Tanzania others have used (I believe Lynda listed the operater names in her summaries) - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34725679

I agree that perhaps a call would sort things out. Good luck!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

I was told that the charges are made in South African rand which means that if we charge the trip we have to pay another 3% to AMEX. Isn't that true?
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:13 AM

Amex adds a 2% foreign conversion fee. Other Visa or Mastercard products may add more or less. It usually varies between 1%-3% depending on the card issuer.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:45 AM

certain CapitalOne cards don't charge a conversion fee.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Hello,

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been having a bad time with CCA -- I've travelled with them numerous times and received excellent service. I hope you can work something out!

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 03:34 PM

Marija,

I had the same positive experience as Hari with my numerous and very detailed Phinda questions. Kate Stuart was my CCAfrica contact and she was quite prompt and thorough. Her title is Lodge Reservations FIT Consultant, so she might work in the East Africa market also. My booking is not through CC Africa, but with an agent.

For prompt replies, which you want if you are going in September, these East Africa agents seem to get good reviews. That has been my experience also.

Eastern & Southern Safaris
Go2Africa
Good Earth
Roys

The Africa Adventure Company once pulled off a last minute major change in reservatons for me and 3 friends in East Africa during high season in which we made no compromise.

Good luck and please report back.

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 06:27 PM
santharamhari

Marija,

On this thread you have the various options to contact.........

Stay away from Ranger safaris or anyone who uses them as a ground operator........awful!!! I had explained enough about them on the other thread prior to it getting taken off......

Hari

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

CC Africa did finally send us a confirmed itinerary and we made our deposit. Does CC Africa read fodors?!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:44 AM
sandi

They may very well read Fodor's. Surpringly, many outfitters do pop into see what's being said - about them or the competition.

Glad you got the confirmation you wanted.

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:51 AM

Or it could be that things just took a little longer to confirm (did they give you a reason for the delay?). Regardless of the reason, I'm glad it's worked out.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Hari,

I had two very good Rangers experiences. It is troubling to note such inconsistencies. The two different Ranger guides I used on separate occasions, years apart, were hand picked by my travel agent, who had done safaris with each of them. That could have helped.

But it is important to note the negative and positive experiences.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 10:08 PM
santharamhari

Hi Lynn,

Good to read that, somebody had some positive things to say about Ranger safaris. Unfortunately, my experience was soooooooo pathetic, that i havent returned to East Africa after that!!! I do plan to return over the next couple of years......would like to do Southern Tanzania and a (PROPER) serengeti experience!!!

Hari

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -